Boot problem - HP UX

This is a discussion on Boot problem - HP UX ; I just have been asked to provide some assistance with a machine running HP-UX 10(?) and hope someone out there can give me a hint or two... The box always boots into single user mode saying that it cannot find ...

  1. Boot problem

    I just have been asked to provide some assistance with a machine running
    HP-UX 10(?) and hope someone out there can give me a hint or two...

    The box always boots into single user mode saying that it cannot find the
    root shell. All that is required is to do a mountall and then an init 3 to
    get it up and running. I suspect a mistake during tape restore of some
    files might has caused the problems.

    I don't have much experience with HP-UX, but quite a lot of Linux
    experience. The /etc/inittab file looks ok and the system boots after
    having all partitions manually mounted.

    Unfortunately I am not able to provide more detailed information about error
    messages, as I don't have access to the system right now.

    I guess there migth be an easy solution to this?

    --
    Regards,
    Tore Skogly

  2. Re: Boot problem

    When "she" is booted in single user mode, check out /etc/passwd.
    The shell for user root MUST BE /bin/sh. When you enter some other shell,
    HP-UX will see this as a security issue and wil refuse to go in multi-user
    mode.

    "Tore Skogly" wrote in message
    > I just have been asked to provide some assistance with a machine running
    > HP-UX 10(?) and hope someone out there can give me a hint or two...
    >
    > The box always boots into single user mode saying that it cannot find the
    > root shell. All that is required is to do a mountall and then an init 3 to
    > get it up and running. I suspect a mistake during tape restore of some
    > files might has caused the problems.
    >
    > I don't have much experience with HP-UX, but quite a lot of Linux
    > experience. The /etc/inittab file looks ok and the system boots after
    > having all partitions manually mounted.
    >
    > Unfortunately I am not able to provide more detailed information about

    error
    > messages, as I don't have access to the system right now.
    >
    > I guess there migth be an easy solution to this?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Tore Skogly

+ Reply to Thread