PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH - HP UX

This is a discussion on PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH - HP UX ; Hi All, Below is an extract from the HP-UX passwd(1) manpage. 1. Can someone explain what "users in files repository only" means? "The password history depth configuration is on a system basis and is supported in trusted system for users ...

  1. PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH

    Hi All,

    Below is an extract from the HP-UX passwd(1) manpage.

    1. Can someone explain what "users in files repository only" means?

    "The password history depth configuration is on a system basis and is
    supported in trusted system for users in files repository only. This
    feature does not support the users in NIS or NISPLUS repositories."

    http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90680/passwd.1.html

    2. Does anyone know if PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH can be set to more than 2
    for an untrusted system? If so, where are the previous passwords stored
    on the system?

  2. Re: PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH

    On 2006-09-05, System Audit wrote:
    > Below is an extract from the HP-UX passwd(1) manpage.
    > 1. Can someone explain what "users in files repository only" means?

    It means in a section of 2 sentences it helps to read both.

    > "The password history depth configuration is on a system basis and is
    > supported in trusted system for users in files repository only. This
    > feature does not support the users in NIS or NISPLUS repositories."

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    One of my other 11 computers runs Minix.

  3. Re: PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH

    "System Audit" wrote in message
    news:1157429392.151586.106250@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Below is an extract from the HP-UX passwd(1) manpage.
    >
    > 1. Can someone explain what "users in files repository only" means?
    >
    > "The password history depth configuration is on a system basis and is
    > supported in trusted system for users in files repository only. This
    > feature does not support the users in NIS or NISPLUS repositories."
    >
    > http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90680/passwd.1.html
    >
    > 2. Does anyone know if PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH can be set to more than 2
    > for an untrusted system? If so, where are the previous passwords stored
    > on the system?

    1. The "files repository" refers to the system files where configuration is
    historically stored. For passwords this is /etc/passwd (or the /etc/shadow
    if used). For DNS this is /etc/hosts. For groups this is /etc/group.

    2. As the quote states, the Password History Depth feature is *only*
    supported on trusted systems, and hence is *not* supported at all on
    untrusted systems.

  4. Re: PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH

    Kilgaard wrote:
    > "System Audit" wrote in message
    > news:1157429392.151586.106250@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>Below is an extract from the HP-UX passwd(1) manpage.
    >>
    >>1. Can someone explain what "users in files repository only" means?
    >>
    >>"The password history depth configuration is on a system basis and is
    >>supported in trusted system for users in files repository only. This
    >>feature does not support the users in NIS or NISPLUS repositories."
    >>
    >>http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90680/passwd.1.html
    >>
    >>2. Does anyone know if PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH can be set to more than 2
    >>for an untrusted system? If so, where are the previous passwords stored
    >>on the system?
    >>

    > 1. The "files repository" refers to the system files where configuration is
    > historically stored. For passwords this is /etc/passwd (or the /etc/shadow
    > if used). For DNS this is /etc/hosts. For groups this is /etc/group.
    >
    > 2. As the quote states, the Password History Depth feature is *only*
    > supported on trusted systems, and hence is *not* supported at all on
    > untrusted systems.

    As far as trusted systems are concerned it is stored in the
    /tcb/files/auth directory structure. Under there you will find entries
    for all of the individual users, the system defaults and a hashed passwd
    database of recently used passwd for users if you have
    PASSWD_HISTORY_DEPTH set, check modprpw(1M), getprpw(1M).

+ Reply to Thread