/etc/default/security - Template or assessed at every logon? - HP UX

This is a discussion on /etc/default/security - Template or assessed at every logon? - HP UX ; Hi All, I am assessing whether the /etc/default/security file, which defines security parameters below, is actively assessed by the system at every logon, or is only a template for setting up users. For example, if PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=4 was changed from 4 ...

  1. /etc/default/security - Template or assessed at every logon?

    Hi All,

    I am assessing whether the /etc/default/security file, which defines
    security parameters below, is actively assessed by the system at every
    logon, or is only a template for setting up users. For example, if
    PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=4 was changed from 4 to 5, would this take
    effect immediately for an existing user, or would only a new user have
    a PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=5?

    MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH=9
    PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=4
    PASSWORD_MIN_LOWER_CASE_CHARS=1
    PASSWORD_MIN_DIGITS_CHARS=1
    PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=90
    PASSWORD_MINDAYS=7
    PASSWORD_WARNDAYS=7

    Thanks

  2. Re: /etc/default/security - Template or assessed at every logon?

    "System Audit" wrote in message
    news:1157048137.215627.305110@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am assessing whether the /etc/default/security file, which defines
    > security parameters below, is actively assessed by the system at every
    > logon, or is only a template for setting up users. For example, if
    > PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=4 was changed from 4 to 5, would this take
    > effect immediately for an existing user, or would only a new user have
    > a PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=5?
    >
    > MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH=9
    > PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=4
    > PASSWORD_MIN_LOWER_CASE_CHARS=1
    > PASSWORD_MIN_DIGITS_CHARS=1
    > PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=90
    > PASSWORD_MINDAYS=7
    > PASSWORD_WARNDAYS=7
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm not sure about the PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH parameter, but all the other
    password complexity ones are assessed every time a user attempts to change
    their password, and all the password expiry ones are assessed every login. I
    have no reason to believe that the PASSWORD_HITORY_DEPTH parameter would not
    be treated the same as the other password complexity parameters and assessed
    every time a password change is attempted.