Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts. - HP UX

This is a discussion on Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts. - HP UX ; Hi, I have installed postgres. I would like to stop it autostarting on boot but I am not sure where HP UX keeps scripts that it auto starts. I have searched everywhere. Can someone give me some guidence please. This ...

  1. Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    Hi,

    I have installed postgres.

    I would like to stop it autostarting on boot but I am not sure where HP
    UX keeps scripts that it auto starts.

    I have searched everywhere. Can someone give me some guidence please.

    This is what keeps starting

    # ps -ef|grep postg
    sfmdb 2881 1594 0 19:20:02 ? 0:00 postgres: sfmdb LOGDB
    [local] id
    le
    sfmdb 1618 1617 0 19:18:09 ? 0:00 postgres: stats
    collector proces
    sfmdb 1617 1594 0 19:18:09 ? 0:00 postgres: stats buffer
    process
    sfmdb 2329 1594 0 19:19:00 ? 0:00 postgres: sfmdb LOGDB
    [local] id
    le
    root 20809 978 1 09:47:17 pts/ta 0:00 grep postg
    #

    Thanks

    Lee

  2. Re: Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    Lee wrote:
    > I have installed postgres.
    >
    > I would like to stop it autostarting on boot but I am not sure where HP
    > UX keeps scripts that it auto starts.

    Check in /etc/rc.config.d/ . But `postgres` is a open-source
    software, so you might need to check their documentation to
    see if they use anything other than this.

    --vishwas.

  3. Re: Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    Thank you .

    I have had a look in this directory but there is nothing listed which
    looks like postgres.

    I will check with the postgres guys.

    Thanks

    Lee

    Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    > > I have installed postgres.
    > >
    > > I would like to stop it autostarting on boot but I am not sure where HP
    > > UX keeps scripts that it auto starts.

    > Check in /etc/rc.config.d/ . But `postgres` is a open-source
    > software, so you might need to check their documentation to
    > see if they use anything other than this.
    >
    > --vishwas.

  4. Re: Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    In article <1156826529.505088.270360@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Lee" writes:
    > Thank you .
    >
    > I have had a look in this directory but there is nothing listed which
    > looks like postgres.
    >
    > I will check with the postgres guys.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee
    >

    > Vishwas Pai wrote:
    >> Lee wrote:
    >> > I have installed postgres.
    >> >
    >> > I would like to stop it autostarting on boot but I am not sure where HP
    >> > UX keeps scripts that it auto starts.

    >> Check in /etc/rc.config.d/ . But `postgres` is a open-source
    >> software, so you might need to check their documentation to
    >> see if they use anything other than this.
    >>
    >> --vishwas.

    Hello,

    in /etc/rc.config.d/ only configuration scripts are present.
    The startup scripts themselves are in /sbin/init.d/ and links to them
    are in /sbin/rc3.d/ or /sbin/rc2.d/.
    Some services (daemons) are started via inetd (check /etc/inetd.conf).

    Yours, Hans Martin.

  5. Re: Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:42:09 -0700, Lee wrote:

    > Thank you .
    >
    > I have had a look in this directory but there is nothing listed which
    > looks like postgres.

    The actual scripts are held in /sbin/init.d but they are run from links in
    the level directories.. /sbin/rc2.d, /sbin/rc3.d etc. Some scripts look
    for a flag in a config file in /etc/rc.config.d directory to determine if
    they should run or not. If Postgres doesn't have a file there then you
    should remove or rename the links in the level directories. To find them
    run this -

    find /sbin -name "[SK]*postgres"

    and remove or rename the scripts found. If you are
    renaming them then prefixing them with off (off.S70postgres) will stop
    them from running. Leave the script located in /sbin/init.d. You might
    want to run it another time.

    JohnK

  6. Re: Where does HP-UX keep auto startup scripts.

    Thanks for your replies. This helps me alot.

    Regards

    Lee

    JohnK wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:42:09 -0700, Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you .
    > >
    > > I have had a look in this directory but there is nothing listed which
    > > looks like postgres.

    > The actual scripts are held in /sbin/init.d but they are run from links in
    > the level directories.. /sbin/rc2.d, /sbin/rc3.d etc. Some scripts look
    > for a flag in a config file in /etc/rc.config.d directory to determine if
    > they should run or not. If Postgres doesn't have a file there then you
    > should remove or rename the links in the level directories. To find them
    > run this -
    >
    > find /sbin -name "[SK]*postgres"
    >
    > and remove or rename the scripts found. If you are
    > renaming them then prefixing them with off (off.S70postgres) will stop
    > them from running. Leave the script located in /sbin/init.d. You might
    > want to run it another time.
    >
    > JohnK

+ Reply to Thread