installed software not listed in #swlist - HP UX

This is a discussion on installed software not listed in #swlist - HP UX ; Hi, We have two HP-Ux servers. One server we have installed software on and the software is listed in # swlist. The second server we installed the same software and the software is not listed in # swlist. I have ...

  1. installed software not listed in #swlist

    Hi,

    We have two HP-Ux servers. One server we have installed software on and
    the software is listed in # swlist.

    The second server we installed the same software and the software is
    not listed in # swlist.

    I have a couple questions?

    1. Does it affect the running of the software if it is not listed? It
    seemed to work ok with some basic testing?

    2. Why does the second machine not list the software. The only
    difference is that the software on the second machine is installed on
    secondary storage (SAN). Do I have to dom something different.

    Thanks

    Lee

  2. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    I forgot to add that the software is not from HP and it had its own
    intall wizard so swinstall will not be used.
    Lee

  3. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Lee wrote:
    > I forgot to add that the software is not from HP and it had its own
    > intall wizard so swinstall will not be used.

    Software will be listed by `swlist` only if it was
    packaged and installed via SD (swpackage, swinstall).
    If the one of the system is showing it, then it is
    most probably because the installer script internally
    called swinstall. Try restarting the SD daemon (
    swagentd -r) On the system where it is not visible
    and run swlist. Or was it installed on anything other
    root (other than `/`) ? - then you will have call
    `swlist @ /`

    --vishwas.

  4. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Thank you for your reply.

    The software was not installed using SD. Does HP application install
    have to be? The software has its own installation wizard and seems to
    install ok. There is nothing in the instructions to say use SD.

    Is there a way of telling SD about these new applications which have
    been installed.

    Our installation is on a SAN but I don't know if this makes any
    difference?

    Thanks

    Lee

    Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    > > I forgot to add that the software is not from HP and it had its own
    > > intall wizard so swinstall will not be used.

    > Software will be listed by `swlist` only if it was
    > packaged and installed via SD (swpackage, swinstall).
    > If the one of the system is showing it, then it is
    > most probably because the installer script internally
    > called swinstall. Try restarting the SD daemon (
    > swagentd -r) On the system where it is not visible
    > and run swlist. Or was it installed on anything other
    > root (other than `/`) ? - then you will have call
    > `swlist @ /`
    >
    > --vishwas.

  5. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Lee wrote:
    > The software was not installed using SD. Does HP application install
    > have to be? The software has its own installation wizard and seems to
    > install ok. There is nothing in the instructions to say use SD.
    >
    > Is there a way of telling SD about these new applications which have
    > been installed.

    I don't think there is way letting SD know about non-SD
    packaged software.

    --vishwas.

  6. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    So would I be right in thinking that installing and setting up software
    outside of SD is ok?

    Thanks

    Lee

    Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    > > The software was not installed using SD. Does HP application install
    > > have to be? The software has its own installation wizard and seems to
    > > install ok. There is nothing in the instructions to say use SD.
    > >
    > > Is there a way of telling SD about these new applications which have
    > > been installed.

    > I don't think there is way letting SD know about non-SD
    > packaged software.
    >
    > --vishwas.

  7. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Lee wrote:
    > So would I be right in thinking that installing and setting up software
    > outside of SD is ok?

    Perfectly OK - but not HP way!

    --vishwas.

  8. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Lee wrote:
    > So would I be right in thinking that installing and setting up software
    > outside of SD is ok?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lee
    >

    > Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > > Lee wrote:
    > > > The software was not installed using SD. Does HP application install
    > > > have to be? The software has its own installation wizard and seems to
    > > > install ok. There is nothing in the instructions to say use SD.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way of telling SD about these new applications which have
    > > > been installed.

    > > I don't think there is way letting SD know about non-SD
    > > packaged software.
    > >
    > > --vishwas.

    Lee, there are plenty of applications that use their own installation
    mechanisms. Two that come to mind are Oracle and Documentum.
    Documentum actually has an "installshield wizard", which I was shocked
    to see under UNIX.

    What one of the other posters was saying is that if you've done the
    identical installation on both machines, but only one of them actually
    shows the software in question via swlist, then somewhere in the
    background, your application's installation undoubtedly did call
    swinstall to get the job done. By contract, you won't see an Oracle or
    Documentum installation (mentioned above) using an swlist command
    because they don't use swinstall anywhere in their install process.

    I'd be wondering if there are any differences between your two systems,
    or if there's an installation log for your application that says what
    it's doing and if it was truly successful on the system that doesn't
    show it as being installed.

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  9. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Hello Charles

    Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

    We have gone ahead with the installation where our new software is not
    in the swlist and all is well. I don't know what the difference is
    between the two systems but as long as it is working I am ok.

    Cheers

    Lee

    Chuck Whealton wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    > > So would I be right in thinking that installing and setting up software
    > > outside of SD is ok?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >

    > > Vishwas Pai wrote:

    > > > I don't think there is way letting SD know about non-SD
    > > > packaged software.
    > > >
    > > > --vishwas.

    > Lee, there are plenty of applications that use their own installation
    > mechanisms. Two that come to mind are Oracle and Documentum.
    > Documentum actually has an "installshield wizard", which I was shocked
    > to see under UNIX.
    >
    > What one of the other posters was saying is that if you've done the
    > identical installation on both machines, but only one of them actually
    > shows the software in question via swlist, then somewhere in the
    > background, your application's installation undoubtedly did call
    > swinstall to get the job done. By contract, you won't see an Oracle or
    > Documentum installation (mentioned above) using an swlist command
    > because they don't use swinstall anywhere in their install process.
    >
    > I'd be wondering if there are any differences between your two systems,
    > or if there's an installation log for your application that says what
    > it's doing and if it was truly successful on the system that doesn't
    > show it as being installed.
    >
    > Charles R. Whealton
    > Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  10. Re: installed software not listed in #swlist

    Lee wrote:
    > Hello Charles
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time out to reply.
    >
    > We have gone ahead with the installation where our new software is not
    > in the swlist and all is well. I don't know what the difference is
    > between the two systems but as long as it is working I am ok.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Lee
    >

    > Chuck Whealton wrote:
    > > Lee wrote:
    > > > So would I be right in thinking that installing and setting up software
    > > > outside of SD is ok?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    > > Lee, there are plenty of applications that use their own installation
    > > mechanisms. Two that come to mind are Oracle and Documentum.
    > > Documentum actually has an "installshield wizard", which I was shocked
    > > to see under UNIX.
    > >
    > > What one of the other posters was saying is that if you've done the
    > > identical installation on both machines, but only one of them actually
    > > shows the software in question via swlist, then somewhere in the
    > > background, your application's installation undoubtedly did call
    > > swinstall to get the job done. By contract, you won't see an Oracle or
    > > Documentum installation (mentioned above) using an swlist command
    > > because they don't use swinstall anywhere in their install process.
    > >
    > > I'd be wondering if there are any differences between your two systems,
    > > or if there's an installation log for your application that says what
    > > it's doing and if it was truly successful on the system that doesn't
    > > show it as being installed.
    > >
    > > Charles R. Whealton
    > > Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

    Lee, sounds great. If you ever do figure out what the difference is,
    I'd be curious.

    Thanks!
    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com