make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT? - HP UX

This is a discussion on make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT? - HP UX ; Hi gurus, I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The targeted ...

  1. make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    Hi gurus,

    I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N
    class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive
    attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The
    targeted machine is also an N class (N4000) but it was attached with a
    Quantum DLT8000 Tape Drive. When I started to boot from the tape in the
    DR N4000, the booting process stucked. One of the technical staff there
    told me I should use a HP DLT tape drive. I don't think that is the
    issue. I replaced the Quantum with a Compaq DLT 40/80 tape drive but
    still the same problem. So I've decided to follow the technical staff
    advice by replacing the Quantum and Compaq with a HP DLT8000 tape
    drive. It works! Can anyone tell me why this happen. From the bch, I
    can see all the tape drives are detected and should be able to become
    potential boot devices.

    Any comments are highly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    In article <1156469276.946161.220060@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    mrkhairy@yahoo.com writes:
    > Hi gurus,
    >
    > I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N
    > class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive
    > attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The
    > targeted machine is also an N class (N4000) but it was attached with a
    > Quantum DLT8000 Tape Drive. When I started to boot from the tape in the
    > DR N4000, the booting process stucked. One of the technical staff there
    > told me I should use a HP DLT tape drive. I don't think that is the
    > issue. I replaced the Quantum with a Compaq DLT 40/80 tape drive but
    > still the same problem. So I've decided to follow the technical staff
    > advice by replacing the Quantum and Compaq with a HP DLT8000 tape
    > drive. It works! Can anyone tell me why this happen. From the bch, I
    > can see all the tape drives are detected and should be able to become
    > potential boot devices.
    >
    > Any comments are highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Helllo,

    according to a HP technician you cannot boot from a generic DLT tape drive. HP drives have special firmware, so the HP boot loader can work with them.

    Yours, Hans Martin.

  3. Re: make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    root wrote:
    > In article <1156469276.946161.220060@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > mrkhairy@yahoo.com writes:
    > > Hi gurus,
    > >
    > > I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N
    > > class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive
    > > attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The
    > > targeted machine is also an N class (N4000) but it was attached with a
    > > Quantum DLT8000 Tape Drive. When I started to boot from the tape in the
    > > DR N4000, the booting process stucked. One of the technical staff there
    > > told me I should use a HP DLT tape drive. I don't think that is the
    > > issue. I replaced the Quantum with a Compaq DLT 40/80 tape drive but
    > > still the same problem. So I've decided to follow the technical staff
    > > advice by replacing the Quantum and Compaq with a HP DLT8000 tape
    > > drive. It works! Can anyone tell me why this happen. From the bch, I
    > > can see all the tape drives are detected and should be able to become
    > > potential boot devices.
    > >
    > > Any comments are highly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Helllo,
    >
    > according to a HP technician you cannot boot from a generic DLT tape drive. HP drives have special firmware, so the HP boot loader can work with them.
    >
    > Yours, Hans Martin.

    And with what Hans just said, keep in mind that since HP purchaesd
    Compaq/Digital, you might be able to get whatever firmware is necessary
    from them for your Compaq DLT40/80 tape drive to make it bootable.

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  4. Re: make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    root wrote:
    > In article <1156469276.946161.220060@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > mrkhairy@yahoo.com writes:
    > > Hi gurus,
    > >
    > > I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N
    > > class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive
    > > attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The
    > > targeted machine is also an N class (N4000) but it was attached with a
    > > Quantum DLT8000 Tape Drive. When I started to boot from the tape in the
    > > DR N4000, the booting process stucked. One of the technical staff there
    > > told me I should use a HP DLT tape drive. I don't think that is the
    > > issue. I replaced the Quantum with a Compaq DLT 40/80 tape drive but
    > > still the same problem. So I've decided to follow the technical staff
    > > advice by replacing the Quantum and Compaq with a HP DLT8000 tape
    > > drive. It works! Can anyone tell me why this happen. From the bch, I
    > > can see all the tape drives are detected and should be able to become
    > > potential boot devices.
    > >
    > > Any comments are highly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Helllo,
    >
    > according to a HP technician you cannot boot from a generic DLT tape drive. HP drives have special firmware, so the HP boot loader can work with them.
    >
    > Yours, Hans Martin.

    And with what Hans just said, keep in mind that since HP purchased
    Compaq/Digital, you might be able to get whatever firmware is necessary
    from them for your Compaq DLT40/80 tape drive to make it bootable.

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  5. Re: make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    Chuck Whealton wrote:
    > root wrote:
    > > In article <1156469276.946161.220060@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    > > mrkhairy@yahoo.com writes:
    > > > Hi gurus,
    > > >
    > > > I don't understand what happen but this is the scenario. I've got an N
    > > > class (N4000) with hpux 11.00 installed with HP DLT8000 tape drive
    > > > attached. Went to DR site several weeks ago to perform restoration. The
    > > > targeted machine is also an N class (N4000) but it was attached with a
    > > > Quantum DLT8000 Tape Drive. When I started to boot from the tape in the
    > > > DR N4000, the booting process stucked. One of the technical staff there
    > > > told me I should use a HP DLT tape drive. I don't think that is the
    > > > issue. I replaced the Quantum with a Compaq DLT 40/80 tape drive but
    > > > still the same problem. So I've decided to follow the technical staff
    > > > advice by replacing the Quantum and Compaq with a HP DLT8000 tape
    > > > drive. It works! Can anyone tell me why this happen. From the bch, I
    > > > can see all the tape drives are detected and should be able to become
    > > > potential boot devices.
    > > >
    > > > Any comments are highly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >

    > > Helllo,
    > >
    > > according to a HP technician you cannot boot from a generic DLT tape drive. HP drives have special firmware, so the HP boot loader can work with them.
    > >
    > > Yours, Hans Martin.

    > And with what Hans just said, keep in mind that since HP purchased
    > Compaq/Digital, you might be able to get whatever firmware is necessary
    > from them for your Compaq DLT40/80 tape drive to make it bootable.
    >
    > Charles R. Whealton
    > Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

    Thanks all! I will keep that in mind.

  6. Re: make_recovery restore failed when use different brand of DLT?

    root@heron.bfi.admin.ch (root) writes:

    [...]
    > Helllo,
    >
    > according to a HP technician you cannot boot from a generic DLT tape drive. HP drives have special firmware, so the HP boot loader can work with them.
    >
    > Yours, Hans Martin.

    I always thought _system_ or HBA firmware (not device firmware) is responsible
    for booting. For my old PC the same SCSI CD-ROM drive would boot after the
    SCSI controlle rgot a new firmware; befor ethat it tried to boot, but failed
    (depending on the boot method on the CD).

    Maybe the system firmware checks the drive's firmware to decide whether to
    boot from it. That seems to be the HP way of doing things...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread