How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel - HP UX

This is a discussion on How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel - HP UX ; Situation is this: HP c3700 workstation with two 18GB disks. HP-UX 11i v1 has been installed with VERITAS VxFS striped over both disks. I removed some kernel drivers, and after a kernel rebuild and the following reboot the machine crashes. ...

  1. How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel

    Situation is this: HP c3700 workstation with two 18GB disks. HP-UX 11i
    v1 has been installed with VERITAS VxFS striped over both disks. I
    removed some kernel drivers, and after a kernel rebuild and the
    following reboot the machine crashes.

    I bootet of the HP-UX installation CD and tried to do a recovery
    (replace the kernel). But the recovery script only lets me choose
    between both disks, it doesn't recognize that this is a stripe set.

    Can anyone give me a helping hand here?

    Benjamin

  2. Re: How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Situation is this: HP c3700 workstation with two 18GB disks. HP-UX 11i
    > v1 has been installed with VERITAS VxFS striped over both disks. I
    > removed some kernel drivers, and after a kernel rebuild and the
    > following reboot the machine crashes.
    >
    > I bootet of the HP-UX installation CD and tried to do a recovery
    > (replace the kernel). But the recovery script only lets me choose
    > between both disks, it doesn't recognize that this is a stripe set.
    >
    > Can anyone give me a helping hand here?

    Did you save the previous kernel when you build a new one?
    If so, tell the bootloader to boot that one instead (i.e.
    if you saved it to /stand/vmunix.prev do "hpux vmunix.prev"
    at the ISL prompt.

    Don

    (I thought mk_kernel does this by default - so if even if
    you didn't explicitly do it.. try "hpux ls" at the boot
    loader and see if there's a vmunix other than the rebuilt
    kernel...)

  3. Re: How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel

    * Don Morris:

    > Did you save the previous kernel when you build a new one?

    Yes.

    > If so, tell the bootloader to boot that one instead (i.e.
    > if you saved it to /stand/vmunix.prev do "hpux vmunix.prev"
    > at the ISL prompt.

    That did the trick, thank you very much!

    Benjamin

  4. Re: How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel

    Benjamin Gawert writes:

    > * Don Morris:
    >
    > > Did you save the previous kernel when you build a new one?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > If so, tell the bootloader to boot that one instead (i.e.
    > > if you saved it to /stand/vmunix.prev do "hpux vmunix.prev"
    > > at the ISL prompt.

    > That did the trick, thank you very much!

    You know you were dammed lucky? ,_) Otherwise you'd have to reinstall or
    connect the disks to another system. BTW: I wonder how kernel boot from
    stzriped disks works if the needed drivers are in the kernel that has to be
    loaded first...

    > Benjamin

  5. Re: How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel

    * Ulrich Windl:

    >> That did the trick, thank you very much!

    > You know you were dammed lucky? ,_) Otherwise you'd have to reinstall or
    > connect the disks to another system.

    Well, since this machine is just a personal toy (I'd never ever mess
    around with something like that on a production machine, especially not
    w/o a proper backup) a reinstall would not have been too bad. But
    getting it fixed saved me downloading the latest HP-UX patch sets again ;-)

    > BTW: I wonder how kernel boot from
    > stzriped disks works if the needed drivers are in the kernel that has to be
    > loaded first...

    Me, too. At least the recovery part of the installation media doesn't
    seem to be able to access striped disks...

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread