ISEE/EMS event flooding - HP UX

This is a discussion on ISEE/EMS event flooding - HP UX ; ISEE sent alerts in 4 minute intervals containing the following: EMS listener error ERROR trying to process an EMS event The system (Superdome 16000 - 1 NPar - 4 VPars) has been checked by HP support center personnel but there ...

  1. ISEE/EMS event flooding

    ISEE sent alerts in 4 minute intervals containing the following:
    EMS listener error
    ERROR trying to process an EMS event
    The system (Superdome 16000 - 1 NPar - 4 VPars) has been checked by HP
    support center personnel but there doesn't seem to be any Hardware issues.
    All the EMS and ISEE related processes have been restarted and there are no
    unexpected incoming connections on tcp port 1402 on any of the interfaces
    (checked with tcpdump).
    HP-UX 11i v1, SD16000 - ISEE A.03.90.
    Any clues from the experts out here ?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Sascha

  2. Re: ISEE/EMS event flooding

    It won't help you, but let me tell you this: We had a problem with a VA7100
    that I discovered by visual inspection. Realizing that ISEE did not send any
    message, I restarted it. Then it did create a bunch of 200 (or so) Mail
    messages, saying that the issue has been closed by a HP engineer. I believe
    everything, but not that some HP engineer has read those. Instead I inspect
    they know the bugs of their software and close such calls automatically.

    Now the remaining question is: Why is you system generating messages? Usually
    /var/adm/syslog/syslog has answers... anternatively visit your GSP and tell
    him "SL" (Show Logs)

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    Sascha Krueger writes:

    > ISEE sent alerts in 4 minute intervals containing the following:
    > EMS listener error
    > ERROR trying to process an EMS event
    > The system (Superdome 16000 - 1 NPar - 4 VPars) has been checked by HP
    > support center personnel but there doesn't seem to be any Hardware issues.
    > All the EMS and ISEE related processes have been restarted and there are no
    > unexpected incoming connections on tcp port 1402 on any of the interfaces
    > (checked with tcpdump).
    > HP-UX 11i v1, SD16000 - ISEE A.03.90.
    > Any clues from the experts out here ?
    > Many thanks in advance.
    > Sascha

  3. Re: ISEE/EMS event flooding

    Ulrich Windl writes:

    > It won't help you, but let me tell you this: We had a problem with a VA7100
    > that I discovered by visual inspection. Realizing that ISEE did not send any
    > message, I restarted it. Then it did create a bunch of 200 (or so) Mail

    [...]

    The story continues with a newer version:
    HP ISEE terminated itself, and won't restart (after we had a firmware upgrade
    on two VA7100, creating _many_ ISEE events). The effect is like this:

    # /sbin/init.d/hpservices stop
    Failed to stop client: sleeping (5 sec)
    ERROR: matcli -x returned 3 : CL_ERROR_COMM
    # /sbin/init.d/hpservices start
    hpservices already started

    (But browser cannot connect)

    Regards,