Remove a Dump Device - HP UX

This is a discussion on Remove a Dump Device - HP UX ; Hello all, What is the correct way to remove a dump device from vg00? I need space in vg00 so have decided to temporarily remove the dump devices until next reboot when some swap space can be moved off the ...

  1. Remove a Dump Device

    Hello all,

    What is the correct way to remove a dump device from vg00? I need
    space in vg00 so have decided to temporarily remove the dump devices
    until next reboot when some swap space can be moved off the local disk.

    I had two dump devices:

    /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    /dev/vg00/lv-dump1

    I deleted lv-dump1, however when I run a crashconf, I still see the
    device, only the LV name is missing. Is there a way to completely
    remove a dump device w/o a reboot?

    DEVICE OFFSET(kB) SIZE (kB) LOGICAL VOL. NAME
    ------------ ---------- ---------- ------------
    -------------------------
    31:0x016000 4455264 2097152 64:0x000009 /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    31:0x026000 7142240 2097152 64:0x00000a
    ----------
    4194304

    Note, previously, dev/vg00/lv-dump1 was showing under lv-dump. Now
    that is gone as I've removed the LV, but the device is still showing
    with crashconf.

    Thanks for any help!
    Tom

  2. Re: Remove a Dump Device

    In article <1154970787.912848.90800@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>, ter310@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > What is the correct way to remove a dump device from vg00? I need
    > space in vg00 so have decided to temporarily remove the dump devices
    > until next reboot when some swap space can be moved off the local disk.
    >
    > I had two dump devices:
    >
    > /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    > /dev/vg00/lv-dump1
    >
    > I deleted lv-dump1, however when I run a crashconf, I still see the
    > device, only the LV name is missing. Is there a way to completely
    > remove a dump device w/o a reboot?
    >
    > DEVICE OFFSET(kB) SIZE (kB) LOGICAL VOL. NAME
    > ------------ ---------- ---------- ------------
    > -------------------------
    > 31:0x016000 4455264 2097152 64:0x000009 /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    > 31:0x026000 7142240 2097152 64:0x00000a
    > ----------
    > 4194304
    >
    > Note, previously, dev/vg00/lv-dump1 was showing under lv-dump. Now
    > that is gone as I've removed the LV, but the device is still showing
    > with crashconf.

    See 'man lvlnboot' - I believe you need to have at least one dump dest
    specified. However, you always point that at you primary swap...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: Remove a Dump Device

    Kevin,

    Thank you for the advice. I was pointed at lvrmboot yesterday by a
    co-worker. We run two dump devices and disable the kernel based dump
    to lvol2 swap by setting the CRASHCONF_REPLACE variable to 0 in
    /etc/rc.config.d/crashconf.

    Strange thing is, when I run lvrmboot to stop the LV from being a dump
    device, I get:

    mcnchpn8# lvrmboot -v -d lv-dump1 /dev/vg00
    lvrmboot: Logical Volume "/dev/vg00/lv-dump1" is not configured to be
    a Root, Swap or Dump Logical Volume.
    lvrmboot: Unable to Remove Dump Logical Volume

    Strange thing is that a crashconf -v verification shows the device as
    being a valid dump device, and it is also set up /etc/fstab correctly:
    "/dev/vg00/lv-dump1 - dump". To make matters stranger, I am getting
    the same exact behavior on a test server. So there must be something
    wrong with the way I'm doing this.

    Regards,
    Tom

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    > In article <1154970787.912848.90800@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>, ter310@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > What is the correct way to remove a dump device from vg00? I need
    > > space in vg00 so have decided to temporarily remove the dump devices
    > > until next reboot when some swap space can be moved off the local disk.
    > >
    > > I had two dump devices:
    > >
    > > /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    > > /dev/vg00/lv-dump1
    > >
    > > I deleted lv-dump1, however when I run a crashconf, I still see the
    > > device, only the LV name is missing. Is there a way to completely
    > > remove a dump device w/o a reboot?
    > >
    > > DEVICE OFFSET(kB) SIZE (kB) LOGICAL VOL. NAME
    > > ------------ ---------- ---------- ------------
    > > -------------------------
    > > 31:0x016000 4455264 2097152 64:0x000009 /dev/vg00/lv-dump
    > > 31:0x026000 7142240 2097152 64:0x00000a
    > > ----------
    > > 4194304
    > >
    > > Note, previously, dev/vg00/lv-dump1 was showing under lv-dump. Now
    > > that is gone as I've removed the LV, but the device is still showing
    > > with crashconf.

    > See 'man lvlnboot' - I believe you need to have at least one dump dest
    > specified. However, you always point that at you primary swap...
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

+ Reply to Thread