Identify a CD Drive - HP UX

This is a discussion on Identify a CD Drive - HP UX ; Hello, I am writing script that will monitor disk activity (r+w/s) on my HP-UX box. I am planning to use sar ex: "sar -dM 5 5" to achieve this. I have two questions here: 1. How do I know if ...

  1. Identify a CD Drive

    Hello,

    I am writing script that will monitor disk activity (r+w/s) on my HP-UX
    box.
    I am planning to use sar ex: "sar -dM 5 5" to achieve this.

    I have two questions here:

    1. How do I know if the 'device' listed in the output is a CD Drive or
    not.
    2. sar reports a empty line if there is no disk acitivity, can I tweak
    it to report a '0' rather than an empty line for the particular device?

    Can anyone throw light?

    Best Regards,
    Satish

  2. Re: Identify a CD Drive

    Hello,

    I have found the answer for Q1:

    "ioscan -fnC disk" will give you the disk names.

    diskinfo $diskName will give you the details of the disk whether it is
    CD-ROM or 'direct access'.

    For Q2 I do not think there is a way to do it.

    Best Regards,
    Satish

    Satish wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am writing script that will monitor disk activity (r+w/s) on my HP-UX
    > box.
    > I am planning to use sar ex: "sar -dM 5 5" to achieve this.
    >
    > I have two questions here:
    >
    > 1. How do I know if the 'device' listed in the output is a CD Drive or
    > not.
    > 2. sar reports a empty line if there is no disk acitivity, can I tweak
    > it to report a '0' rather than an empty line for the particular device?
    >
    > Can anyone throw light?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Satish

+ Reply to Thread