Problem with NIS+ - HP UX

This is a discussion on Problem with NIS+ - HP UX ; I have a situation where for various reasons I cannot get the NIS+ server up and running. Since we use DNS for hosts, and there are only about 20 user accounts in NIS+, I want to rip it out by ...

  1. Problem with NIS+

    I have a situation where for various reasons I cannot get the NIS+ server up
    and running. Since we use DNS for hosts, and there are only about 20 user
    accounts in NIS+, I want to rip it out by the roots and kick it over into
    some dark corner. Then drop a ton of dirt on it.

    My question is, I need some instrument of torture with which I can extract
    the contents of the NIS+ passwd, group and host databases, without having
    the NIS+ server up. I don't care about the passwords as I have them. I need
    stuff like UIDs, GIDs, so I can set up the accounts in the local files.

    Part of my dilemma is that I inherited these systems, which have not been
    maintained in over a year, and the employees that knew anything about the OS
    level stuff are long gone. My documentation consisted of two pages of apps
    related stuff.

    Thanks in advance

    --

    =================================
    Douglas Caviness

  2. Re: Problem with NIS+

    Douglas Caviness wrote:
    > I have a situation where for various reasons I cannot get the NIS+ server up
    > and running. Since we use DNS for hosts, and there are only about 20 user
    > accounts in NIS+, I want to rip it out by the roots and kick it over into
    > some dark corner. Then drop a ton of dirt on it.
    >
    > My question is, I need some instrument of torture with which I can extract
    > the contents of the NIS+ passwd, group and host databases, without having
    > the NIS+ server up. I don't care about the passwords as I have them. I need
    > stuff like UIDs, GIDs, so I can set up the accounts in the local files.
    >
    > Part of my dilemma is that I inherited these systems, which have not been
    > maintained in over a year, and the employees that knew anything about the OS
    > level stuff are long gone. My documentation consisted of two pages of apps
    > related stuff.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Sorry to hear that, NIS+ is really rather good in general.

    Did your predecessor dump out the tables anywhere?
    Do you have a system backup from back when it was all working which
    you could fire up briefly to niscat everything?

    Pete.

+ Reply to Thread