Re: User specific terminfo database? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Re: User specific terminfo database? - HP UX ; Alexander Skwar wrote: > Is there a way to make HP also use the user specific ~/.terminfo > directory structure? On Linux, use infocmp to get a _source_ of the terminfo entries needed. Set the $TERMINFO variable to $HOME/.terminfo and ...

  1. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    Alexander Skwar wrote:

    > Is there a way to make HP also use the user specific ~/.terminfo
    > directory structure?

    On Linux, use infocmp to get a _source_ of the terminfo entries needed.
    Set the $TERMINFO variable to $HOME/.terminfo and use HP's tic program
    to compile a binary.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  2. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    ยท Thomas Dickey :

    > Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to make HP also use the user specific ~/.terminfo
    >> directory structure?

    > On Linux, use infocmp to get a _source_ of the terminfo entries needed.
    > Set the $TERMINFO variable to $HOME/.terminfo and use HP's tic program
    > to compile a binary.

    Thanks, great - the part that I didn't do was setting TERMINFO,
    as that's not necessary to do on Linux. On Linux, ~/.terminfo
    is automatically parsed.

    Well, both ways have their merits and setting an env. var. isn't
    that hard

    Thanks again,

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    Es ist die Aufgabe des Managements, den Mitarbeitern Visionen zu
    geben; das ist die allerbeste Motivation.

  3. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    [deleted]

    > Thanks, great - the part that I didn't do was setting TERMINFO,
    > as that's not necessary to do on Linux. On Linux, ~/.terminfo
    > is automatically parsed.
    >
    > Well, both ways have their merits and setting an env. var. isn't
    > that hard

    The "merit" of the 'HP-UX way' is that it's actually the (formal/de
    jure) standard way, while the Linux way is ..., well the Linux way! :-)

  4. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Alexander Skwar wrote:
    > [deleted]

    >> Thanks, great - the part that I didn't do was setting TERMINFO,
    >> as that's not necessary to do on Linux. On Linux, ~/.terminfo
    >> is automatically parsed.
    >>
    >> Well, both ways have their merits and setting an env. var. isn't
    >> that hard

    > The "merit" of the 'HP-UX way' is that it's actually the (formal/de
    > jure) standard way, while the Linux way is ..., well the Linux way! :-)

    "formal" and "de jure" mean different things (and in the latter case,
    I don't recall a law requiring people to do things this way).
    Likewise the appropriateness of "formal" is not apparent.

    As for $HOME/.terminfo - it has drawbacks which I've noted elsewhere.
    I'd recommend ncurses' $TERMINFO_DIRS (which doesn't have those),
    but of course HPUX doesn't implement that either.

    On the other hand, HPUX is supposed to comply with SVr4, but its terminfo
    database is not binary-compatible with those of the other vendors which
    support that version. So I advised him to use a source rather than binary.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  5. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    Thomas Dickey wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > > Alexander Skwar wrote:
    > > [deleted]

    > >> Thanks, great - the part that I didn't do was setting TERMINFO,
    > >> as that's not necessary to do on Linux. On Linux, ~/.terminfo
    > >> is automatically parsed.
    > >>
    > >> Well, both ways have their merits and setting an env. var. isn't
    > >> that hard

    > > The "merit" of the 'HP-UX way' is that it's actually the (formal/de
    > > jure) standard way, while the Linux way is ..., well the Linux way! :-)

    > "formal" and "de jure" mean different things (and in the latter case,
    > I don't recall a law requiring people to do things this way).

    True, but "de jure" does not only refer to law. If you can't use "de
    jure", you can't use "de facto" either, and I hope you agree that the
    latter would be rather silly.

    > Likewise the appropriateness of "formal" is not apparent.

    A formal standards body, i.e. X/Open in this case. I.e. (in this, and
    many other) aspect, Linux does not conform to a formal standard, while
    HP-UX does.

    FWIW, I added the "de jure" bit because people tend to overlook the
    "formal" bit and whine that Linux is a standard.

    [deleted]

  6. Re: User specific terminfo database?

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Thomas Dickey wrote:
    >> "formal" and "de jure" mean different things (and in the latter case,
    >> I don't recall a law requiring people to do things this way).

    > True, but "de jure" does not only refer to law. If you can't use "de
    > jure", you can't use "de facto" either, and I hope you agree that the
    > latter would be rather silly.

    agreed: otherwise we'd have to go on at length about the places where
    HPUX is incompatible with the other SVr4 implementations. HPUX's
    implementation is properly termed "de facto" (and unlikely to change).

    >> Likewise the appropriateness of "formal" is not apparent.

    > A formal standards body, i.e. X/Open in this case. I.e. (in this, and
    > many other) aspect, Linux does not conform to a formal standard, while
    > HP-UX does.

    HP-UX sort-of-does (colors and line-drawing don't work as X/Open documents,
    which is something I keep noticing ;-).

    Fortunately HP has a curses implementation in the other corner (Tru64) which
    corresponds well to X/Open. The HP-UX implementation (aside from the good
    support for HP terminals) provides me with interesting bug-reports.

    > FWIW, I added the "de jure" bit because people tend to overlook the
    > "formal" bit and whine that Linux is a standard.

    hmm - unless you're responding to one of my comments,
    I'll disregard this.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net