installing depots in single-user mode - HP UX

This is a discussion on installing depots in single-user mode - HP UX ; I have a new server install crash because of lack of SCSI Ultra320 HBA support. I can boot only by ISL>hpux -iS How do I install depots with patches from this single-user mode? swinstall not found, nothing is mounted, etc. ...

  1. installing depots in single-user mode

    I have a new server install crash because of lack of SCSI Ultra320 HBA support.
    I can boot only by ISL>hpux -iS
    How do I install depots with patches from this single-user mode?
    swinstall not found, nothing is mounted, etc.
    Is it at all possible?

  2. Re: installing depots in single-user mode

    "Zak." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1153325201.650250@xnews001...
    I have a new server install crash because of lack of SCSI Ultra320 HBA support.
    I can boot only by ISL>hpux -iS
    How do I install depots with patches from this single-user mode?
    swinstall not found, nothing is mounted, etc.
    Is it at all possible?

    You didn't mention the OS version. So I assume HPUX 10.20 here.
    Ok, lets see...

    First activate the relevant volume groups (usually at least vg00)
    > vgchange -a y /dev/vg...

    Now you should be able to mount the FS on this volume group
    If the right FS are mounted, at least swinstall should be available.
    But sorry, I (always ?) used the GUI of swinstall, so you have to figure out the cmd line for yourself.

    HTH

    Martin

  3. Re: installing depots in single-user mode

    Zak. wrote:
    > I have a new server install crash because of lack of SCSI Ultra320 HBA support.
    > I can boot only by ISL>hpux -iS
    > How do I install depots with patches from this single-user mode?
    > swinstall not found, nothing is mounted, etc.
    > Is it at all possible?

    No it is not possible, see "Managing HP-UX Software With SD-UX: HP
    9000 Computers" - "Chapter 1 - Introduction to Software Distributor",
    second bullet:

    "SD-UX is based on distributed, client/server technology, and requires
    some networking functionality on the host system for proper execution.
    These networking services are only available in UNIX Run Level 2
    (Multi-User mode) and above. SD-UX cannot run in Single-User mode."

    Philip Morten

+ Reply to Thread