HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5 - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5 - HP UX ; Hello, I work for a company who uses Legato Networker to backup their HP-UX systems. The problem is Legato. It seems that on one particular server, Legato wants to fail at least once a week. Multiple sites are supported solely ...

  1. HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    Hello,

    I work for a company who uses Legato Networker to backup their HP-UX
    systems.

    The problem is Legato. It seems that on one particular server, Legato
    wants to fail at least once a week. Multiple sites are supported
    solely by me, and I have spent many weeks restoring Legato directories
    when it crashes or encounters wierd problems, and then updating the
    indexes and checking on the settings to make sure nothing has changed
    (online and offline notes are kept on the settings for each server).

    The thing that makes this difficult is that I am not allowed to install
    software such as snort, sudo or tripwire. Furthermore, it seems that
    although a limited number of people know the root password (i.e 1-2
    people plus myself, as I am root), certain things are happening that
    would require the root password. Physical security is not optimal, and
    I have to sleep a small number of hours to keep my sanity, otherwise I
    would be onsite or connected otherwise all the time.

    A recent issue that concerns me is the numbe of times it's primary
    daemons disappear from the process table, forciong me to go in and
    restart it manually and watch the system. I had written a script to
    automatically check and restart the processes, but it didn't work
    correctly so it was removed from cron.

    No signs of external intrusion are found, so it seems to me it would be
    a system issue or internal access to the console for some odd reason to
    only kill this application nightly this week.

    Here is the script that was written:
    #!/bin/sh
    outfile="/nsr_up.txt"
    touch $outfile
    echo "Number of processes on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr | wc -l`"
    >> $outfile

    ps -ef | grep nsrd
    if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then
    echo "Exit value of last command was unsuccessful" >> $outfile
    /opt/networker/bin/nsrd
    /opt/networker/bin/nsrexecd
    echo "" >> $outfile
    echo "NSR processes started at `date`" >> $outfile
    echo "Number of NSR process running on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr
    | wc -l`" >> $outfile
    ps -ef | grep nsr >> $outfile
    sleep 1
    fi
    mailx root@myhost.ext < $outfile
    mailx me@externaladdr.ext < $outfile
    rm $outfile

    Can someone point out why:
    1. These Legato issues are occurring
    2. Why this script is overloading processes (nsrd loads at least one
    nsrexecd and two nsrexex processes when started)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    James wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I work for a company who uses Legato Networker to backup their HP-UX
    > systems.
    >
    > The problem is Legato. It seems that on one particular server, Legato
    > wants to fail at least once a week. Multiple sites are supported
    > solely by me, and I have spent many weeks restoring Legato directories
    > when it crashes or encounters wierd problems, and then updating the
    > indexes and checking on the settings to make sure nothing has changed
    > (online and offline notes are kept on the settings for each server).
    >
    > The thing that makes this difficult is that I am not allowed to install
    > software such as snort, sudo or tripwire. Furthermore, it seems that
    > although a limited number of people know the root password (i.e 1-2
    > people plus myself, as I am root), certain things are happening that
    > would require the root password. Physical security is not optimal, and
    > I have to sleep a small number of hours to keep my sanity, otherwise I
    > would be onsite or connected otherwise all the time.
    >
    > A recent issue that concerns me is the numbe of times it's primary
    > daemons disappear from the process table, forciong me to go in and
    > restart it manually and watch the system. I had written a script to
    > automatically check and restart the processes, but it didn't work
    > correctly so it was removed from cron.
    >
    > No signs of external intrusion are found, so it seems to me it would be
    > a system issue or internal access to the console for some odd reason to
    > only kill this application nightly this week.
    >
    > Here is the script that was written:
    > #!/bin/sh
    > outfile="/nsr_up.txt"
    > touch $outfile
    > echo "Number of processes on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr | wc -l`"
    > >> $outfile

    > ps -ef | grep nsrd
    > if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then
    > echo "Exit value of last command was unsuccessful" >> $outfile
    > /opt/networker/bin/nsrd
    > /opt/networker/bin/nsrexecd
    > echo "" >> $outfile
    > echo "NSR processes started at `date`" >> $outfile
    > echo "Number of NSR process running on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr
    > | wc -l`" >> $outfile
    > ps -ef | grep nsr >> $outfile
    > sleep 1
    > fi
    > mailx root@myhost.ext < $outfile
    > mailx me@externaladdr.ext < $outfile
    > rm $outfile
    >

    > Can someone point out why:
    > 1. These Legato issues are occurring
    > 2. Why this script is overloading processes (nsrd loads at least one
    > nsrexecd and two nsrexex processes when started)
    >
    > Thanks.

    BTW, the primary shell is /bin/sh.

    A few other notes that I've encountered.
    Legato continually has issues with Cleaning Tapes and predefined slots,
    Read error: no such device or addess,
    The client one week decides it's a server resulting in a license issue
    that was resolved

    Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    Hi James,

    we are running Networker 7.1.3 on HPUX Itanium and beside the problem of
    the non-existing persistent binding solution for tape devices it is
    running well. Version 5.5 seems to be rather old, since 7.3.1 is the
    current release. I am sorry that I could not help with your specific
    problem but I would like to give You a link to a mailinglist where many
    Legato networker users gave really helpful tips. I guess You will find a
    helpful answer there. HTH

    http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?...ERV.TEMPLE.EDU

    Ines

    Am 18.07.2006 hast Du geschrieben:

    >James wrote:
    >>
    >> Can someone point out why:
    >> 1. These Legato issues are occurring
    >> 2. Why this script is overloading processes (nsrd loads at least one
    >> nsrexecd and two nsrexex processes when started)
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >BTW, the primary shell is /bin/sh.

    >A few other notes that I've encountered.
    >Legato continually has issues with Cleaning Tapes and predefined slots,
    >Read error: no such device or addess,
    >The client one week decides it's a server resulting in a license issue
    >that was resolved

  4. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    James wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I work for a company who uses Legato Networker to backup their HP-UX
    > systems.
    >
    > The problem is Legato. It seems that on one particular server, Legato
    > wants to fail at least once a week. Multiple sites are supported
    > solely by me, and I have spent many weeks restoring Legato directories
    > when it crashes or encounters wierd problems, and then updating the
    > indexes and checking on the settings to make sure nothing has changed
    > (online and offline notes are kept on the settings for each server).
    >
    > The thing that makes this difficult is that I am not allowed to install
    > software such as snort, sudo or tripwire. Furthermore, it seems that
    > although a limited number of people know the root password (i.e 1-2
    > people plus myself, as I am root), certain things are happening that
    > would require the root password. Physical security is not optimal, and
    > I have to sleep a small number of hours to keep my sanity, otherwise I
    > would be onsite or connected otherwise all the time.
    >
    > A recent issue that concerns me is the numbe of times it's primary
    > daemons disappear from the process table, forciong me to go in and
    > restart it manually and watch the system. I had written a script to
    > automatically check and restart the processes, but it didn't work
    > correctly so it was removed from cron.
    >
    > No signs of external intrusion are found, so it seems to me it would be
    > a system issue or internal access to the console for some odd reason to
    > only kill this application nightly this week.
    >
    > Here is the script that was written:
    > #!/bin/sh
    > outfile="/nsr_up.txt"
    > touch $outfile
    > echo "Number of processes on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr | wc -l`"
    > >> $outfile

    > ps -ef | grep nsrd
    > if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then
    > echo "Exit value of last command was unsuccessful" >> $outfile
    > /opt/networker/bin/nsrd
    > /opt/networker/bin/nsrexecd
    > echo "" >> $outfile
    > echo "NSR processes started at `date`" >> $outfile
    > echo "Number of NSR process running on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr
    > | wc -l`" >> $outfile
    > ps -ef | grep nsr >> $outfile
    > sleep 1
    > fi
    > mailx root@myhost.ext < $outfile
    > mailx me@externaladdr.ext < $outfile
    > rm $outfile
    >

    > Can someone point out why:
    > 1. These Legato issues are occurring
    > 2. Why this script is overloading processes (nsrd loads at least one
    > nsrexecd and two nsrexex processes when started)
    >
    > Thanks.

    John, I have to agree with Ines that you're on a dangerously old
    version of NetWorker. We're running the PA-RISC version of 7.10 under
    HP-UX 11i and it's absolutely fine. I don't think (somebody correct me
    if I'm wrong) that NetWorker 5.5 has been supported for a pretty long
    time now.

    When it came to a Digital UNIX implementation of NetWorker, 5.5 (right
    around the time Legato brought the Digital code base in house), it was
    the absolute buggiest version of NetWorker I've ever encountered, other
    people's experiences may vary. Even a 5.x NetWorker storage node we
    had running (at the same time) under HP-UX was buggy as all heck. If
    my memory serves me, it would constantly fill up the /opt file system
    with nsrjb core dumps. There may also be a bug on the HP-UX 5.5
    version that stops you under certain circumstances from doing parallel
    saves on a single client.

    Seriously guy, look at upgrading NetWorker and also make sure you're
    reasonably up to date on your HP-UX patch levels. See what the good
    people at EMC/Legato are saying about whatever HP-UX patch levels
    you're on - presumably while you upgrade NetWorker - because I doubt
    they'll even want to talk to you at a 5.5 version unless you shovel out
    extra dollars.

    Speaking of which, have you looked to see if there were any patchsets
    for 5.5 that may have addressed your problems?

    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  5. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    Chuck Whealton wrote:
> [...]

    > people's experiences may vary. Even a 5.x NetWorker storage node we
    > had running (at the same time) under HP-UX was buggy as all heck. If
    > my memory serves me, it would constantly fill up the /opt file system
    > with nsrjb core dumps. There may also be a bug on the HP-UX 5.5
    > version that stops you under certain circumstances from doing parallel
    > saves on a single client.
    >
    > Seriously guy, look at upgrading NetWorker and also make sure you're
    > reasonably up to date on your HP-UX patch levels. See what the good
    > people at EMC/Legato are saying about whatever HP-UX patch levels
    > you're on - presumably while you upgrade NetWorker - because I doubt
    > they'll even want to talk to you at a 5.5 version unless you shovel out
    > extra dollars.
    >
    > Speaking of which, have you looked to see if there were any patchsets
    > for 5.5 that may have addressed your problems?

    Chuck and Ines, thank you for your replies. I would have replied
    sooner, but had personal issues to deal with the past couple of weeks.

    Chuck, I had never thought about the parallelism issue. I do know core
    files were created, and should really pay more attention to the opt
    location for core files as well (usually found them in nsr/cores,
    although not all those files are bad core files per se).

    It is not (Legato) patched up to date as it is unsupported and the
    company I work for is not big on having the latest and greatest patches
    up to date installed. I can see rationale to their decision, but if it
    were me, patches would be installed immediately.

    The problems I have seen are multiple --
    If the index files get too big too quick, it starts failing out on
    jobs.
    If not unmounted and someone goest to swap autoloader tapes, then it
    starts causing a variety of problems, usually read/open errors/no such
    device messages.
    The cleaning tape is very particular, and has on occasion required it
    to be suppressed, leading to tape problems.
    Daemons stop working unexpectedly, causing automated jobs to fail
    (however the script I had working was commented out of cron checks,
    beacuse it started too many processes).
    Clients would fail due to authentication problems, even if on the same
    host.
    One client all of a sudden acted as a server, and with no enebler code
    for it stopped acting as a server (luckily still worked client backups
    on it from the real server).

    I have corrected these issues, but some of them repeat themselves on
    occasion creating headaches (from bosses yelling about it).

    Thanks for your replies, I will look closer at the patchsets.

  6. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    James wrote:
> [...]

    > starts causing a variety of problems, usually read/open errors/no such
    > device messages.
    > The cleaning tape is very particular, and has on occasion required it
    > to be suppressed, leading to tape problems.
    > Daemons stop working unexpectedly, causing automated jobs to fail
    > (however the script I had working was commented out of cron checks,
    > beacuse it started too many processes).
    > Clients would fail due to authentication problems, even if on the same
    > host.
    > One client all of a sudden acted as a server, and with no enebler code
    > for it stopped acting as a server (luckily still worked client backups
    > on it from the real server).
    >
    > I have corrected these issues, but some of them repeat themselves on
    > occasion creating headaches (from bosses yelling about it).
    >
    > Thanks for your replies, I will look closer at the patchsets.

    James:

    Hi, real quickly... The index problems you mentioned SHOULD be dealt
    with in a later version of NetWorker. I >THINK< it was 6.x when they
    started significantly trimming down index sizes, but it may have been
    7.x. Probably doesn't matter since I >BELIEVE< 6.x is now unsupported
    as well!

    It's just another reason to get on a later, supported version.

    I understand the rational behind your management not wanted to always
    apply the latest patches as I go through it myself. However, in this
    case I'd have to say that in my OWN OPINION (use your own judgement),
    the problems with the application keeping your data safe (which one
    would assume is your management's priority) are more significant at
    this point - I mean you're operating on a long unsupported version of
    NetWorker now.

    Your data won't be backed up if your backup application dies in the
    middle of the night or is still waiting for a tape mount the next
    morning during prime time hours. That should also play into your
    management's decision.

    Good luck!
    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

  7. Re: HP-UX 11.x and Legato Networker 5.5

    James wrote:
> [...]

    > > echo "NSR processes started at `date`" >> $outfile
    > > echo "Number of NSR process running on host total: `ps -ef | grep nsr
    > > | wc -l`" >> $outfile
    > > ps -ef | grep nsr >> $outfile
    > > sleep 1
    > > fi
    > > mailx root@myhost.ext < $outfile
    > > mailx me@externaladdr.ext < $outfile
    > > rm $outfile
    > >

    > > Can someone point out why:
    > > 1. These Legato issues are occurring
    > > 2. Why this script is overloading processes (nsrd loads at least one
    > > nsrexecd and two nsrexex processes when started)
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > BTW, the primary shell is /bin/sh.
    >
    > A few other notes that I've encountered.
    > Legato continually has issues with Cleaning Tapes and predefined slots,
    > Read error: no such device or addess,
    > The client one week decides it's a server resulting in a license issue

    James... HP-UX 11.x includes a "template" in /sbin/init.d that you can
    use to put together a decent Legato NetWorker startup. Don't forget to
    include the runlevel links to make it work.

    As far as your NetWorker processes go, not having one of my company's
    HP-UX systems in front of me, to the best of my memory, it SHOULD be:

    Server - 1 nsrd process, 2 nsrexecd processes
    Client - 2 nsrexecd processes

    Remember, I haven't used 5.5 for years, so take that with a grain of
    salt.

    Good luck!
    Charles R. Whealton
    Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com