Configuration of LAN Card - HP UX

This is a discussion on Configuration of LAN Card - HP UX ; Hello all, I've been working with a 5509/ PCI 10/100 LAN card in our 785 and have been trying to diagnose some performance issues. Can anyone tell me what effect the different card type options ( Fast Ethernet, IEEE802.3 or ...

  1. Configuration of LAN Card

    Hello all,

    I've been working with a 5509/ PCI 10/100 LAN card in our 785 and have
    been trying to diagnose some performance issues. Can anyone tell me
    what effect the different card type options ( Fast Ethernet, IEEE802.3
    or IEEE802.3/Fast Ethernet) on the SAM Configure window has on
    performance? The card defaults to Fast Ethernet but should it be set
    to one of the other options?

    Thanks,
    thompson

  2. Re: Configuration of LAN Card

    thompson.c1@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've been working with a 5509/ PCI 10/100 LAN card in our 785

    "785" was/is a "catch-all" model number for HP workstations released
    since they went to four digit model numbers (well, not sure about the
    J2240). For the "real" machine model you need to use the "model"
    command.

    > and have been trying to diagnose some performance issues. Can
    > anyone tell me what effect the different card type options ( Fast
    > Ethernet, IEEE802.3 or IEEE802.3/Fast Ethernet) on the SAM Configure
    > window has on performance? The card defaults to Fast Ethernet but
    > should it be set to one of the other options?

    Keep it at Fast Ethernet. Almost nothing still sends IP over the
    802.3 SAPs any longer. There is no performance difference, except if
    you select just the IEEE802.3 you will probably have zero performance
    .

    rick jones