moving data between storages - HP UX

This is a discussion on moving data between storages - HP UX ; hi all i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another. The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11 Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)...

  1. moving data between storages

    hi all

    i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

  2. Re: moving data between storages

    > i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    > The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    > Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

    Which way is the best I can't tell, but mirroring is probably one of the
    easiest.

    M.

  3. Re: moving data between storages

    Mario wrote:
    > > i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    > > The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    > > Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

    > Which way is the best I can't tell, but mirroring is probably one of the
    > easiest.
    >
    > M.

    ok so :
    i add the new disks to the volume group i need to change the disks,
    then i mirror the volumes to the new disks, when i have a mirror for
    every logical volume i can vgreduce the old disks.? nothing else to
    do?

  4. Re: moving data between storages

    Mario wrote:
    > > i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    > > The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    > > Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

    > Which way is the best I can't tell, but mirroring is probably one of the
    > easiest.
    >
    > M.

    ok so :
    i add the new disks to the volume group i need to change the disks,
    then i mirror the volumes to the new disks, when i have a mirror for
    every logical volume i can vgreduce the old disks.? nothing else to
    do?

  5. Re: moving data between storages

    mmartini0606@yahoo.it wrote:

    >Mario wrote:
    >> > i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    >> > The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    >> > Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

    >> Which way is the best I can't tell, but mirroring is probably one of the
    >> easiest.
    >>
    >> M.

    >ok so :
    >i add the new disks to the volume group i need to change the disks,
    >then i mirror the volumes to the new disks, when i have a mirror for
    >every logical volume i can vgreduce the old disks.? nothing else to
    >do?

    This should work, provided the PE size of the VG is big enough to
    allow you to use all the space on the new LUNs.
    Only an issue if there is a large difference in LUN size between the
    old array and the new array.

    Ted.

    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  6. Re: moving data between storages

    In article <1152394229.639001.127550@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    mmartini0606@yahoo.it wrote:

    > Mario wrote:
    >> > i need to move a big amount of data from a storage box to another.
    >> > The servers that use the old box use lvm and hpux 11
    >> > Which is the best way to do this? (mirroring?)

    >> Which way is the best I can't tell, but mirroring is probably one of the
    >> easiest.
    >>
    >> M.

    > ok so :
    > i add the new disks to the volume group i need to change the disks,
    > then i mirror the volumes to the new disks, when i have a mirror for
    > every logical volume i can vgreduce the old disks.? nothing else to
    > do?

    Once your mirrors are all sync'd, you'll also need to 'lvreduce -m' for each LV
    to get the old disks out of the mirror before you can vgreduce.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

+ Reply to Thread