How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes - HP UX

This is a discussion on How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes - HP UX ; HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage. It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell ...

  1. How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    lvremove.

    How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    being still in the system?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    "Herbert Fukerider" wrote in message
    > HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    > I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    > It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    > and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    > lvremove.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    > being still in the system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    vgexport?

  3. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    In article <4h4riiF1moiqkU1@individual.net>, Herbert Fukerider wrote:
    > HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    > I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    > It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    > and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    > lvremove.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    > being still in the system?

    You can probably use 'vgreduce -f /dev/vgname' - this will force remove all PVs
    the system can't talk to from the VG. Then you shoulld be able to vgremove the
    VG.

    Otherwise, I would reboot the system to single-user mode or LVM maintenance
    mode, and then:

    1) vgchange -A n /dev/vgname
    2) rmsf /dev/vgname/*
    3) rmdir /dev/vgname
    4) reboot

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  4. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    vgexport each volume group. This will remove the entries from
    /etc/lvmtab as well as delete the /dev/ directory. This is the
    best way given your circumstances (and easiest since it requires no I/O
    to any of the disks).

    Best Regards,

    HP_ASC

    Herbert Fukerider wrote:
    > HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    > I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    > It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    > and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    > lvremove.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    > being still in the system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  5. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:40:30 +0200, Herbert Fukerider
    wrote:

    >HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    >I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    >It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    >and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    >lvremove.
    >
    >How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    >being still in the system?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Simplest is to reboot the box in LVM maintenance mode (interrupt the
    boot at PDH, boot pri, Y to interact, and then hpux -lm at ISL prompt),
    vgchange -a n the volume groups, vgexport them, and update /etc/fstab to
    remove/comment the entries, finally init 5.

    Meanwhile, get the backplane replaced, the data MAY still be
    salvageable.

  6. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    On 7 Jul 2006 11:32:21 -0700, "HP_BRS" wrote:

    >vgexport each volume group. This will remove the entries from
    >/etc/lvmtab as well as delete the /dev/ directory. This is the
    >best way given your circumstances (and easiest since it requires no I/O
    >to any of the disks).

    Nope, it does require I/O, since you have to do a 'vgchange -a n' before
    you can vgexport. If you can't execute the vgchange, you will need to
    update your fstab (if you haven't already), reboot into LVM maintenance
    mode (hpux -lm at ISL prompt), and do the vgchange and vgexport from
    there.

    Robert Klute
    I speak for me alone.

    >Best Regards,
    >
    >HP_ASC
    >

    >Herbert Fukerider wrote:
    >> HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    >> I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    >> It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    >> and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    >> lvremove.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    >> being still in the system?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

  7. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    Since the array is fried (unless I misread the post, always possible),
    the volume groups aren't activated in the first place. vgexport.

    By the way, if you are in LVM maintenance mode you wouldn't need to do
    any vgchange -a n, since by definition LVM maintenance mode is BEFORE
    any volume groups are activated.

    Best Regards,

    HP_ASC

    Best Re
    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On 7 Jul 2006 11:32:21 -0700, "HP_BRS" wrote:
    >
    > >vgexport each volume group. This will remove the entries from
    > >/etc/lvmtab as well as delete the /dev/ directory. This is the
    > >best way given your circumstances (and easiest since it requires no I/O
    > >to any of the disks).

    > Nope, it does require I/O, since you have to do a 'vgchange -a n' before
    > you can vgexport. If you can't execute the vgchange, you will need to
    > update your fstab (if you haven't already), reboot into LVM maintenance
    > mode (hpux -lm at ISL prompt), and do the vgchange and vgexport from
    > there.
    >
    > Robert Klute
    > I speak for me alone.
    >

    > >Best Regards,
    > >
    > >HP_ASC
    > >

    > >Herbert Fukerider wrote:
    > >> HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    > >> I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    > >> It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    > >> and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    > >> lvremove.
    > >>
    > >> How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    > >> being still in the system?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance.

  8. Re: How to remove obsolete volume groups and logical volumes

    You are correct under the assumption that he hasn't rebooted the
    machine already, and if he has not, that all of the VGs were active at
    the time of the ZAP. If he has reboot the machine already during his
    troubleshooting or the VGs weren't active in the first place, you need
    only to vgexport. We didn't get that detail in the original message.

    Of course LVM maintenance mode will not require any 'vgchange -a n' as
    all VGs are not active by definition when you boot -lm. Also, as far
    as /etc/fstab, this is correct assuming MC/SG is not handling volume
    group activation and the mounting of filesystems in package control
    scripts.

    For that matter, it might be even better to edit /etc/lvmrc to turn off
    auto VG activation (doesn't include VG00, of course), do a normal
    reboot instead of maintenance/single user, then do your vgexports and
    etc. If you do go the -lm route, either activate root and mount vg00
    filesystems like /usr, or use the native LVM commands from /sbin.

    Best Regards,

    HP_ASC

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On 7 Jul 2006 11:32:21 -0700, "HP_BRS" wrote:
    >
    > >vgexport each volume group. This will remove the entries from
    > >/etc/lvmtab as well as delete the /dev/ directory. This is the
    > >best way given your circumstances (and easiest since it requires no I/O
    > >to any of the disks).

    > Nope, it does require I/O, since you have to do a 'vgchange -a n' before
    > you can vgexport. If you can't execute the vgchange, you will need to
    > update your fstab (if you haven't already), reboot into LVM maintenance
    > mode (hpux -lm at ISL prompt), and do the vgchange and vgexport from
    > there.
    >
    > Robert Klute
    > I speak for me alone.
    >

    > >Best Regards,
    > >
    > >HP_ASC
    > >

    > >Herbert Fukerider wrote:
    > >> HP-UX 11i (11.11) - current patch-level
    > >> I lost my VA-7100 Array because of a lightning strike / overvolatage.
    > >> It even can't be formatted because of a failure with the backplane
    > >> and I cannot reactivate the device using sam or shell with vgremove /
    > >> lvremove.
    > >>
    > >> How can I get rid of the entries for the volume group and logical volumes
    > >> being still in the system?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread