MOZILLA packages from HP - HP UX

This is a discussion on MOZILLA packages from HP - HP UX ; I noticed that HP now packages up MOZILLA with separate bundles for PA-RISC and IA-64 systems. Unfortunately the bundles have identical name and version numbers, and they do not have the "machine_type" tag set at the bundle level. So if ...

  1. MOZILLA packages from HP

    I noticed that HP now packages up MOZILLA with separate bundles for
    PA-RISC and IA-64 systems. Unfortunately the bundles have identical
    name and version numbers, and they do not have the "machine_type" tag
    set at the bundle level. So if you have both bundles in the same depot
    and try to load them on, say, a, IA box at 11.23, there is little to
    tell them apart in the swinstall GUI.

    To fix this I did a little trick with swmodify:

    $ swmodify -d -a machine_type="9000/*" \
    MOZILLA,r=1.7.13.01.00,a=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64,v=HP @ (depot)
    $ swmodify -d -a machine_type="ia64*" \
    MOZILLA,r=1.7.13.01.00,a=HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA,v=HP @ (depot)

    for the corresponding (depot) path. Now only the appropriate bundle
    shows up in the swinstall GUI.

    Thoughts?

    --
    B.

  2. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    * anchor0057@yahoo.com:

    > I noticed that HP now packages up MOZILLA with separate bundles for
    > PA-RISC and IA-64 systems.

    Well, HP is doing this for some time already...

    > Unfortunately the bundles have identical
    > name and version numbers, and they do not have the "machine_type" tag
    > set at the bundle level. So if you have both bundles in the same depot
    > and try to load them on, say, a, IA box at 11.23, there is little to
    > tell them apart in the swinstall GUI.
    >
    > To fix this I did a little trick with swmodify:
    >
    > $ swmodify -d -a machine_type="9000/*" \
    > MOZILLA,r=1.7.13.01.00,a=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64,v=HP @ (depot)
    > $ swmodify -d -a machine_type="ia64*" \
    > MOZILLA,r=1.7.13.01.00,a=HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA,v=HP @ (depot)
    >
    > for the corresponding (depot) path. Now only the appropriate bundle
    > shows up in the swinstall GUI.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Not exactly to the problem but I just want to add that HP not only
    packages the (basically dead) Mozilla suite but also the successors
    Firefox and Thunderbird for HP-UX:

    Benjamin

  3. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * anchor0057@yahoo.com:
    > > I noticed that HP now packages up MOZILLA with separate bundles for
    > > PA-RISC and IA-64 systems.

    > Well, HP is doing this for some time already...

    Well as I indicated already the bundles I pulled from HP did not have
    the "machine_type" set at the bundle level, so I'm not quite sure what
    you mean. (They are set on some of the filesets, but that only means
    somebody wastes their time trying to figure out why the bundle didn;t
    load properly.) Maybe you have a different source?

    > Not exactly to the problem but I just want to add that HP not only
    > packages the (basically dead) Mozilla suite but also the successors
    > Firefox and Thunderbird for HP-UX:

    Thanks for the link.

    --
    Bob

  4. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > Not exactly to the problem but I just want to add that HP not only
    > packages the (basically dead) Mozilla suite but also the successors
    > Firefox and Thunderbird for HP-UX:
    >

    > Benjamin

    Wonder if they'll support the drop-in replacement for/continuation of
    the Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey?

    Clem
    "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."
    - Fudd's first law of opposition

  5. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    * Mr. Uh Clem:

    > Wonder if they'll support the drop-in replacement for/continuation of
    > the Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey?

    Honestly, I think it would be far better if HP would concentrate on
    Firefox/Thunderbird and stay current with the latest releases instead of
    maintaining HP-UX versions of several browsers but several releases
    behind...

    Benjamin

  6. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    * anchor0057@yahoo.com:

    >>> I noticed that HP now packages up MOZILLA with separate bundles for
    >>> PA-RISC and IA-64 systems.

    >> Well, HP is doing this for some time already...

    > Well as I indicated already the bundles I pulled from HP did not have
    > the "machine_type" set at the bundle level, so I'm not quite sure what
    > you mean. (They are set on some of the filesets, but that only means
    > somebody wastes their time trying to figure out why the bundle didn;t
    > load properly.) Maybe you have a different source?

    I meant that HP indeed isn't offering Mozilla packages for PA and IPF
    just now but doing that for some time already...

    Benjamin

  7. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > I meant that HP indeed isn't offering Mozilla packages for PA and IPF
    > just now but doing that for some time already...

    Yes okay, sorry that was unclear. I agree that they have offered
    separate bundles since the IPF came out, but the issue of the
    identical-looking PA and IPF bundles only became an issue with
    the update of 11i v2. It would be easy enough for them to offer
    a single bundle that loads on both PA and IPF, so one wonders
    why they don't.

    It looks like the Firefox release you mentioned has the same issue:

    $ swlist -d -a architecture -a machine_type -l bundle FIREFOX @
    (depot)
    FIREFOX HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64 *
    FIREFOX HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA *
    GTK HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA *
    GTK HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64 *

    the one-liner descriptions are also identical for the matching bundle
    tags, so you can easily end up trying to load the wrong bundles on
    a system.

    --
    Bob

  8. Re: MOZILLA packages from HP

    * anchor0057@yahoo.com:

    > Yes okay, sorry that was unclear. I agree that they have offered
    > separate bundles since the IPF came out, but the issue of the
    > identical-looking PA and IPF bundles only became an issue with
    > the update of 11i v2. It would be easy enough for them to offer
    > a single bundle that loads on both PA and IPF, so one wonders
    > why they don't.

    Right. The package size wouldn't be really a problem, either.

    > It looks like the Firefox release you mentioned has the same issue:
    >
    > $ swlist -d -a architecture -a machine_type -l bundle FIREFOX @
    > (depot)
    > FIREFOX HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64 *
    > FIREFOX HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA *
    > GTK HP-UX_B.11.22_IA/PA *
    > GTK HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64 *
    >
    > the one-liner descriptions are also identical for the matching bundle
    > tags, so you can easily end up trying to load the wrong bundles on
    > a system.

    Have you checked if there is a contact address for the responsible team
    somewhere? If you mail them about the issue I'm sure they'll fix it.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread