Question on symlink - HP UX

This is a discussion on Question on symlink - HP UX ; We got a practise of cloning a database for test by copying the entire directory of the database and oracle binary to our development server. the problem is that the symlinks in the "/oracle9i" binaries were hardcoded with absolute path ...

  1. Question on symlink

    We got a practise of cloning a database for test by copying the entire
    directory of the database and oracle binary to our development server.

    the problem is that the symlinks in the "/oracle9i" binaries were
    hardcoded with absolute path names.

    /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre ->
    /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre/.java_wrapper

    Which is better?

    umask 022

    ln -s .java_wrapper
    /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre
    or
    ln -s ./.java_wrapper
    /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre

  2. Re: Question on symlink

    ultrakiasu@gmail.com ha escrito:

    > We got a practise of cloning a database for test by copying the entire
    > directory of the database and oracle binary to our development server.
    >
    > the problem is that the symlinks in the "/oracle9i" binaries were
    > hardcoded with absolute path names.
    >
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre ->
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre/.java_wrapper
    >
    > Which is better?
    >

    > umask 022
    >
    > ln -s .java_wrapper
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre
    > or
    > ln -s ./.java_wrapper
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre

    I think is more correct to install the oracle software on your
    development server and then, yes, you can copy the database files.
    The oracle installation does things outside the oracle_home

  3. Re: Question on symlink

    In article <1152093011.174309.197430@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    ultrakiasu@gmail.com wrote:
    > We got a practise of cloning a database for test by copying the entire
    > directory of the database and oracle binary to our development server.
    >
    > the problem is that the symlinks in the "/oracle9i" binaries were
    > hardcoded with absolute path names.
    >
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre ->
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre/.java_wrapper

    This can't work - it's pointing to itself...

    > Which is better?
    >

    > umask 022
    >
    > ln -s .java_wrapper
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre
    > or
    > ln -s ./.java_wrapper
    > /oracle9i/csdb/admin/jre/1.3.1/bin/jre

    Since both are relative paths anyway, I would go with the first as it will
    probably be easier to read.

    However, neither of these accomplishes what you listed initially.

    Kevin
    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

+ Reply to Thread