mount ntfs on hpux - HP UX

This is a discussion on mount ntfs on hpux - HP UX ; Hello We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto the hp ux? Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?...

  1. mount ntfs on hpux

    Hello

    We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients
    can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto
    the hp ux?

    Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?

  2. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    thesoulcrusher wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients
    > can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto
    > the hp ux?
    >

    > Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?

    Dear soulcrusher,

    I would use CIFS to mount Windows shares.

    CIFS is called Samba on Linux.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    * Jan Gerrit Kootstra:

    >> We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients
    >> can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto
    >> the hp ux?
    >>

    >> Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?

    > I would use CIFS to mount Windows shares.
    >
    > CIFS is called Samba on Linux.

    For mounting Windows SMB shares on HP-UX you need the CIFS Client (samba
    is just the CIFS server, it can export shares but not mount them)...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Jan Gerrit Kootstra:
    >
    >>> We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients
    >>> can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto
    >>> the hp ux?
    >>>

    >>> Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?

    >> I would use CIFS to mount Windows shares.
    >>
    >> CIFS is called Samba on Linux.

    > For mounting Windows SMB shares on HP-UX you need the CIFS Client (samba
    > is just the CIFS server, it can export shares but not mount them)...
    >
    > Benjamin

    Benjamin,

    I agree that you need the client, but on Red Hat Linux and SuSe Linux
    both client and server are called Samba.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  5. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    * Jan Gerrit Kootstra:

    >> For mounting Windows SMB shares on HP-UX you need the CIFS Client
    >> (samba is just the CIFS server, it can export shares but not mount
    >> them)...
    >>
    >> Benjamin

    > Benjamin,
    >

    > I agree that you need the client, but on Red Hat Linux and SuSe Linux
    > both client and server are called Samba.

    Ok, I didn't know that (I avoid Linux whenever possible). In HP-UX you
    need the CIFS Client for that.

    Benjamin

  6. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    A much simpler way on non CIFS client systems like HP-UX is to
    install Windows Services for Unix

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/

    which is now free and comes with an NFS server. You can then mount
    it as if it was a Unix box via NFS. Should install on 2003 server
    and XP

    Thanks

    Colin

  7. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    * Colin Simpson:

    > A much simpler way on non CIFS client systems like HP-UX is to
    > install Windows Services for Unix
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
    >
    > which is now free and comes with an NFS server. You can then mount
    > it as if it was a Unix box via NFS. Should install on 2003 server
    > and XP

    Right, the SFU are indeed very nice, and they work flawlessly on
    Windowsxp, too.

    Benjamin

  8. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    In article <2080d$44a98395$50396f05$29993@news.chello.nl>, Jan Gerrit Kootstra
    wrote:
    > thesoulcrusher wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> We have NFS setup on our HP ux server so our windows servers/clients
    >> can access hpux shares.. now how can I mount a windows NTFS share onto
    >> the hp ux?
    >>

    >> Do i need a kernel patch like in linux?
    >>

    > Dear soulcrusher,
    >

    > I would use CIFS to mount Windows shares.
    >
    > CIFS is called Samba on Linux.

    You've got it a little backwards. Samba is provided in a (slightly) modified
    and HP-supported package called CIFS/9000. But it *is* Samba...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  9. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    In article <4gvr4fF1pekpgU4@individual.net>, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Colin Simpson:
    >
    >> A much simpler way on non CIFS client systems like HP-UX is to
    >> install Windows Services for Unix
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
    >>
    >> which is now free and comes with an NFS server. You can then mount
    >> it as if it was a Unix box via NFS. Should install on 2003 server
    >> and XP

    > Right, the SFU are indeed very nice, and they work flawlessly on
    > Windowsxp, too.

    Just FYI, I don't think SFU is supported by MS anymore... In addition, most of
    it is now included as part of the OS in Windows 2003 R2...

    Kevin
    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

  10. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    * Kevin Collins:

    > Just FYI, I don't think SFU is supported by MS anymore...

    Why should that be the case?

    > In addition, most of
    > it is now included as part of the OS in Windows 2003 R2...

    Right, _most_ but not _all_. Besides that, SFU is not just for Windows
    Server 2003 but also for other Windows variants inkluding Windowsxp. I'd
    be really surprised if MS would stop supporting SFU for all Windows
    versions just because the warmed up Server 2003 got some of the features...

    Benjamin

  11. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    Colin Simpson wrote:
    > A much simpler way on non CIFS client systems like HP-UX is to
    > install Windows Services for Unix
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
    >
    > which is now free and comes with an NFS server. You can then mount
    > it as if it was a Unix box via NFS. Should install on 2003 server
    > and XP
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Colin

    Yes we have that installed t omap our windows clients/servers to our
    unix shares but.. I need to do the opposite, map windows share to the
    unix server... you cannot do that with SFU,, at least not that I know
    of...

  12. Re: mount ntfs on hpux

    In article <1152229509.156818.243450@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    thesoulcrusher wrote:

    > Colin Simpson wrote:
    >> A much simpler way on non CIFS client systems like HP-UX is to
    >> install Windows Services for Unix
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
    >>
    >> which is now free and comes with an NFS server. You can then mount
    >> it as if it was a Unix box via NFS. Should install on 2003 server
    >> and XP
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Colin

    > Yes we have that installed t omap our windows clients/servers to our
    > unix shares but.. I need to do the opposite, map windows share to the
    > unix server... you cannot do that with SFU,, at least not that I know
    > of...

    Yes, you can, but as NFS shares, not SMB (aka CIFS) shares. You configure the
    Windows box as an NFS server with SFU and then the Unix box mounts the share
    with NFS client.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

+ Reply to Thread