LVM - HP UX

This is a discussion on LVM - HP UX ; I have a HP 9000 715/75 with HP/UX 10.20. I have been user on it for quite a long time but now I'm the admin too. I have never cared about the hardware until last time the was some problem ...

  1. LVM

    I have a HP 9000 715/75 with HP/UX 10.20. I have been user on it for
    quite a long time but now I'm the admin too. I have never cared about
    the hardware until last time the was some problem booting and I opened
    the box. I had to use some physical violence against the disk *g*
    and now everything is ok again.

    Now I have discovered that there are two disks inside and had a look at
    LVM. It seems that only one of the two disks is used.

    # vgscan
    vgscan: The physical volume "/dev/dsk/c0t6d0" is already recorded in the
    "/etc/lvmtab" file.

    Following Physical Volumes belong to one Volume Group.
    Unable to match these Physical Volumes to a Volume Group.
    Use the vgimport command to complete the process.
    /dev/dsk/c0t3d0

    # bdf
    Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    /dev/vg00/lvol3 83733 18757 56602 25% /
    /dev/vg00/lvol1 47829 14287 28759 33% /stand
    /dev/vg00/lvol8 288157 130949 128392 50% /var
    /dev/vg00/lvol7 398869 318759 40223 89% /usr
    /dev/vg00/lvol6 191989 476 172314 0% /tmp
    /dev/vg00/lvol5 458709 372395 40443 90% /opt
    /dev/vg00/lvol4 199381 105857 73585 59% /home

    Also SAM tells me that c0t3d0 is a Seagate disk with 2048 Mbytes which is
    unused and c0t6d0 is a HP Disk with 2047 Mbytes which is used by LVM.

    My idea was to make a complete backup of the disk c0t6d0 ond the other
    disk.
    Then I tried to add a new volume group on c0t3d0 with SAM. I got a
    warning that on this disk there probably is some volume data on this
    disk and if I want to overwrite it. I decided that not. Using
    dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0 | strings
    I can verify that there really is more than just white noise on the
    disk, but I had no luck accessing it. When I tried to use
    vgimport vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    a lot of devices /dev/vg01/... were created but mount fails with the
    message "/dev/vg01/lvol1: No such device or address". I also tried to
    mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0 directly. SAM still tells me that the disk is
    unused.

    How can I access the data on the disk?

    When I have lost the intrest in the data on this disk is it ok to just use
    dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    to make a 1:1 backup and be able to boot from c0t3d0 if c0t6d0 fails?

    --
    J. Dollinger Uni Ulm | zeitnot@irc | http://zeitnot.home.pages.de

  2. Re: LVM

    Jürgen Dollinger wrote:
    > I have a HP 9000 715/75 with HP/UX 10.20. I have been user on it for
    > quite a long time but now I'm the admin too. I have never cared about
    > the hardware until last time the was some problem booting and I opened
    > the box. I had to use some physical violence against the disk *g*
    > and now everything is ok again.
    >
    > Now I have discovered that there are two disks inside and had a look at
    > LVM. It seems that only one of the two disks is used.
    >
    > # vgscan
    > vgscan: The physical volume "/dev/dsk/c0t6d0" is already recorded in the
    > "/etc/lvmtab" file.
    >
    > Following Physical Volumes belong to one Volume Group.
    > Unable to match these Physical Volumes to a Volume Group.
    > Use the vgimport command to complete the process.
    > /dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    >
    > # bdf
    > Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
    > /dev/vg00/lvol3 83733 18757 56602 25% /
    > /dev/vg00/lvol1 47829 14287 28759 33% /stand
    > /dev/vg00/lvol8 288157 130949 128392 50% /var
    > /dev/vg00/lvol7 398869 318759 40223 89% /usr
    > /dev/vg00/lvol6 191989 476 172314 0% /tmp
    > /dev/vg00/lvol5 458709 372395 40443 90% /opt
    > /dev/vg00/lvol4 199381 105857 73585 59% /home
    >
    > Also SAM tells me that c0t3d0 is a Seagate disk with 2048 Mbytes which is
    > unused and c0t6d0 is a HP Disk with 2047 Mbytes which is used by LVM.
    >
    > My idea was to make a complete backup of the disk c0t6d0 ond the other
    > disk.
    > Then I tried to add a new volume group on c0t3d0 with SAM. I got a
    > warning that on this disk there probably is some volume data on this
    > disk and if I want to overwrite it. I decided that not. Using
    > dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0 | strings
    > I can verify that there really is more than just white noise on the
    > disk, but I had no luck accessing it. When I tried to use
    > vgimport vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    > a lot of devices /dev/vg01/... were created but mount fails with the
    > message "/dev/vg01/lvol1: No such device or address". I also tried to
    > mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0 directly. SAM still tells me that the disk is
    > unused.
    >
    > How can I access the data on the disk?
    >
    > When I have lost the intrest in the data on this disk is it ok to just use
    > dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    > to make a 1:1 backup and be able to boot from c0t3d0 if c0t6d0 fails?

    Juergen,

    It is possible to do so, but there is a beter way. But first you need to
    check whether or not you have MirrorDisk/UX installed.

    do a swlist -l bundle and look for MirrorDisk/UX.

    If so I will show you the instructions how to make a real mirror of vg00.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: LVM

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Jürgen Dollinger wrote:
    >> When I have lost the intrest in the data on this disk is it ok to just use
    >> dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    >> to make a 1:1 backup and be able to boot from c0t3d0 if c0t6d0 fails?

    > It is possible to do so, but there is a beter way. But first you need to
    > check whether or not you have MirrorDisk/UX installed.
    >
    > do a swlist -l bundle and look for MirrorDisk/UX.

    Nothing.
    I have GlancePlus, Some Compilers, VUE, Workstation ACE (what is this?),
    Networking ACE, PowerShade (what is this?), and some Patches.

    > If so I will show you the instructions how to make a real mirror of vg00.

    Raid 0?

    --
    J. Dollinger Uni Ulm | zeitnot@irc | http://zeitnot.home.pages.de

  4. Re: LVM

    Jürgen Dollinger wrote:
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >>Jürgen Dollinger wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I have lost the intrest in the data on this disk is it ok to just use
    >>>dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    >>>to make a 1:1 backup and be able to boot from c0t3d0 if c0t6d0 fails?

    >>It is possible to do so, but there is a beter way. But first you need to
    >>check whether or not you have MirrorDisk/UX installed.
    >>
    >>do a swlist -l bundle and look for MirrorDisk/UX.

    > Nothing.
    > I have GlancePlus, Some Compilers, VUE, Workstation ACE (what is this?),
    > Networking ACE, PowerShade (what is this?), and some Patches.
    >

    >>If so I will show you the instructions how to make a real mirror of vg00.

    > Raid 0?

    Juergen,

    Now it gets hard.

    Maybe your method will make a bootable disk, but data changes will not
    be copied automatically.

    I would suggest downloading Mirror/UX for Workstation, if you have a
    Workstation, from software.hp.com. For a Server you need to buy the
    software.

    The manual page for lvlnboot give the whole senario.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  5. Re: LVM

    Jürgen Dollinger wrote:
    > disk and if I want to overwrite it. I decided that not. Using
    > dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t3d0 | strings
    > I can verify that there really is more than just white noise on the
    > disk, but I had no luck accessing it. When I tried to use
    > vgimport vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0
    > a lot of devices /dev/vg01/... were created but mount fails with the
    > message "/dev/vg01/lvol1: No such device or address". I also tried to
    > mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0 directly. SAM still tells me that the disk is
    > unused.
    >
    > How can I access the data on the disk?

    I want to come back to this question. Meanwhile I could check that there
    really is some data on the disk. I shutdown the machine, deactivated the
    disk I normally use, and using the jumpers on the disk gave is scsi ID
    6. Then I was able to boot from it. It contains also a HP/UX 10.20 but
    with different software, and it obviously never was in use (hostname was
    "hp", no users, empty root password, no y2k patch...). The filesystem is
    very similar to the usual one: 8 logical volumes with the same mount
    points but different size.

    But when booting from the other disk I still cant access it. If it were
    a Linux system i would use fdisk to see which partitions there are and
    the mount them, but with HP/UX and this LVM?

    I also tried if I can boot from one disk and use the root-filesystem (/)
    from the other. The man page "man hpux" tells me that I can not only choose
    the file system with the kernel but also swap and root device.
    Furthermore I should be able do look at the disks using "ll and ls
    Operations". But when booting I dont get this kind of prompt described
    in the man page. Maybe I have a different kind of firmware, when
    pressing escape at the beginning of the boot process I get a BOOT_ADMIN>
    Prompt where I can choose to boot from any kind of SCSI or from lan
    interface but I cant choose the root or swap. Obviously both disks are
    configured to use logical volume 3 on scsi-ID 6 as root.

    Maybe I just dont understand the way these HP machines boot, I better
    know Bios/lilo/linux from PCs.

    --
    J. Dollinger Uni Ulm | zeitnot@irc | http://zeitnot.home.pages.de
    Fachbegriffe der Informatik einfach erklaert (404): Blog

+ Reply to Thread