settings for maxfiles kernel parameter - HP UX

This is a discussion on settings for maxfiles kernel parameter - HP UX ; Hi, I have HPUX, The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096. But I do get an error from the process. The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the command "ulimit -n 1024" ...

  1. settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    Hi,

    I have HPUX,

    The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096.

    But I do get an error from the process.
    The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the
    command "ulimit -n 1024" and restart the process.

    1)Why do we need to set again at the console? Setting the kernel
    paramter maxfiles is not enough?
    2)I have verified the file /stand/system,the entry for maxfiles is
    correct(4096)?

    Could anybody tell me why do I need to set again at the user level even
    though the kernel paramter is set to 4096.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mehaboob

  2. Re: settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    It's been 4 years since I retired but isn't there also a maxuprc (maximum
    user process) kernel parameter also?

    John

    wrote in message
    news:1151598617.400890.301530@d56g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I have HPUX,
    >
    > The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096.
    >
    > But I do get an error from the process.
    > The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the
    > command "ulimit -n 1024" and restart the process.
    >
    > 1)Why do we need to set again at the console? Setting the kernel
    > paramter maxfiles is not enough?
    > 2)I have verified the file /stand/system,the entry for maxfiles is
    > correct(4096)?
    >
    > Could anybody tell me why do I need to set again at the user level even
    > though the kernel paramter is set to 4096.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mehaboob

  3. Re: settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    John Pezzano wrote:

    > It's been 4 years since I retired but isn't there also a maxuprc (maximum
    > user process) kernel parameter also?
    >
    > John

    Yes there is a variable maxuprc which refers to the maximum number of
    processes a user can launch.but am talking about the kernel paramter
    maxfiles which refers to the maximum number of file descriptor a
    process can hold.

  4. Re: settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    On 29 Jun 2006 09:30:17 -0700, mehaboob@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >I have HPUX,
    >
    >The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096.
    >
    >But I do get an error from the process.
    >The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the
    >command "ulimit -n 1024" and restart the process.
    >
    >1)Why do we need to set again at the console? Setting the kernel
    >paramter maxfiles is not enough?
    >2)I have verified the file /stand/system,the entry for maxfiles is
    >correct(4096)?
    >
    >Could anybody tell me why do I need to set again at the user level even
    >though the kernel paramter is set to 4096.

    If you execute
    ulimit -n
    before you have modified it, it will tell you what your default is.

    The maxfiles limit can be overidden in
    /etc/profile and ~/.profile (bourne, ksh, posix)
    /etc/csh.login , ~/.login , and ~/.cshrc (c)

    Check these places to see if the system default is not being lowered.

  5. Re: settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    Robert Klute wrote:

    > On 29 Jun 2006 09:30:17 -0700, mehaboob@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >

    > >I have HPUX,
    > >
    > >The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096.
    > >
    > >But I do get an error from the process.
    > >The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the
    > >command "ulimit -n 1024" and restart the process.
    > >
    > >1)Why do we need to set again at the console? Setting the kernel
    > >paramter maxfiles is not enough?
    > >2)I have verified the file /stand/system,the entry for maxfiles is
    > >correct(4096)?
    > >
    > >Could anybody tell me why do I need to set again at the user level even
    > >though the kernel paramter is set to 4096.

    > If you execute
    > ulimit -n
    > before you have modified it, it will tell you what your default is.
    >
    > The maxfiles limit can be overidden in
    > /etc/profile and ~/.profile (bourne, ksh, posix)
    > /etc/csh.login , ~/.login , and ~/.cshrc (c)
    >
    > Check these places to see if the system default is not being lowered.

    I have checked all those profile files and ulimit is not being set in
    any of those.

  6. Re: settings for maxfiles kernel parameter

    On 30 Jun 2006 02:30:22 -0700, mehaboob@gmail.com wrote:

    >Robert Klute wrote:
    >
    >> On 29 Jun 2006 09:30:17 -0700, mehaboob@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >

    >> >I have HPUX,
    >> >
    >> >The kernel settings for maxfiles and maxfiles_lim is 4096.
    >> >
    >> >But I do get an error from the process.
    >> >The process works OK for some time if I set from the console the
    >> >command "ulimit -n 1024" and restart the process.
    >> >
    >> >1)Why do we need to set again at the console? Setting the kernel
    >> >paramter maxfiles is not enough?
    >> >2)I have verified the file /stand/system,the entry for maxfiles is
    >> >correct(4096)?
    >> >
    >> >Could anybody tell me why do I need to set again at the user level even
    >> >though the kernel paramter is set to 4096.

    >> If you execute
    >> ulimit -n
    >> before you have modified it, it will tell you what your default is.
    >>
    >> The maxfiles limit can be overidden in
    >> /etc/profile and ~/.profile (bourne, ksh, posix)
    >> /etc/csh.login , ~/.login , and ~/.cshrc (c)
    >>
    >> Check these places to see if the system default is not being lowered.

    >I have checked all those profile files and ulimit is not being set in
    >any of those.

    Weird. Your default should be maxfiles and maxfiles_lim the max you can
    set it to explicitly with ulimit.

    What version of HP-UX are you running?

    If you are running 11.0 or 11.11 (11iv1), execute kmtune to verify that
    the active kernel matches the values in system. If you are running
    11.23 (11iv2), then use kctune.

+ Reply to Thread