release a Hung TCP port without machine boot - HP UX

This is a discussion on release a Hung TCP port without machine boot - HP UX ; Hi, How to release a Hung TCP Port in HPUX machine (HPUX B 11.23) without restarting the machine? Thanks, Bujji...

  1. release a Hung TCP port without machine boot

    Hi,
    How to release a Hung TCP Port in HPUX machine (HPUX B 11.23) without
    restarting the machine?

    Thanks,
    Bujji

  2. Re: release a Hung TCP port without machine boot

    Bujji wrote:
    > How to release a Hung TCP Port in HPUX machine (HPUX B 11.23)
    > without restarting the machine?

    First, what makes you think you have a hung port, and what is being
    "hung-up" by its being hung? Often as not when I see questions like
    the above, it points to an application issue that needs to be
    resolved, hence the question.

    rick jones

  3. Re: release a Hung TCP port without machine boot

    You need to use the tool called lsof, downloadable from the internet.
    and use it to find out the process which has locked on to the port

    # lsof -tcp
    then using the ps -ef trace out the application/program who is using
    hte port and then proceed further..

    regards

    Rick Jones wrote:

    > Bujji wrote:
    > > How to release a Hung TCP Port in HPUX machine (HPUX B 11.23)
    > > without restarting the machine?

    > First, what makes you think you have a hung port, and what is being
    > "hung-up" by its being hung? Often as not when I see questions like
    > the above, it points to an application issue that needs to be
    > resolved, hence the question.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > firebug n, the idiot who tosses a lit cigarette out his car window
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  4. Re: release a Hung TCP port without machine boot

    ap wrote:
    > You need to use the tool called lsof, downloadable from the internet.
    > and use it to find out the process which has locked on to the port

    > # lsof -tcp
    > then using the ps -ef trace out the application/program who is using
    > hte port and then proceed further..

    If his "hung" port is a case where he cannot restart a server
    application, there may not still be a process to kill - it may be that
    there are still connections in TIME_WAIT. In that case, it is
    important to make sure the server application is properly written to
    set SO_REUSEADDR before trying to bind() to its well-known port
    number.

    Hence the reason I was asking the OP just why he thought he had a
    "hung port." Hopefully the OP will respond soon.

    rick jones

  5. Re: release a Hung TCP port without machine boot

    Rick Jones writes:

    [...]
    > Hence the reason I was asking the OP just why he thought he had a
    > "hung port." Hopefully the OP will respond soon.

    FYI:

    On a different OS I once traced a problem where the server did close the
    connection, having one byte for the client to read, but the client wouldn't
    (programming error). So the connections hangs forever with occasional packet
    exchanges. There it would have made sense to force a connection reset.

    (As a matter of fact, restarting the server (process) cleaned the connection
    table as well)

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread