HP-UX11i Password Authentication - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX11i Password Authentication - HP UX ; Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is different about ...

  1. HP-UX11i Password Authentication

    Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running
    HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If
    you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is
    different about rlogin and ssh password authenication? How can I track
    down what the problem could be?

  2. Re: HP-UX11i Password Authentication

    In article <1151067895.618693.158230@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    adam.m.leach@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running
    > HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If
    > you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is
    > different about rlogin and ssh password authenication? How can I track
    > down what the problem could be?

    Sounds like a mis-configured PAM module for the r-commands. Have you done
    anything to /etc/pam.conf?

    If you think it is (or should be) unmodified, try updating pam.conf from
    /usr/newconfig/etc/pam.conf.

    Also, if it is only for certain users, it may be /etc/pam_user.conf...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: HP-UX11i Password Authentication

    Thanks a lot Kevin.

    Somehow the /etc/pam.conf file got changed. Everything works now!

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    > In article <1151067895.618693.158230@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    > adam.m.leach@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running
    > > HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If
    > > you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is
    > > different about rlogin and ssh password authenication? How can I track
    > > down what the problem could be?

    > Sounds like a mis-configured PAM module for the r-commands. Have you done
    > anything to /etc/pam.conf?
    >
    > If you think it is (or should be) unmodified, try updating pam.conf from
    > /usr/newconfig/etc/pam.conf.
    >
    > Also, if it is only for certain users, it may be /etc/pam_user.conf...
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

  4. Re: HP-UX11i Password Authentication

    In article <1151160091.489067.300270@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, sixpacadam
    wrote:
    > Thanks a lot Kevin.
    >
    > Somehow the /etc/pam.conf file got changed. Everything works now!

    Please, don't top-post. It confuses threads and makes reading very difficult.

    > Kevin Collins wrote:
    >> In article <1151067895.618693.158230@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    >> adam.m.leach@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running
    >> > HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If
    >> > you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is
    >> > different about rlogin and ssh password authenication? How can I track
    >> > down what the problem could be?

    >> Sounds like a mis-configured PAM module for the r-commands. Have you done
    >> anything to /etc/pam.conf?
    >>
    >> If you think it is (or should be) unmodified, try updating pam.conf from
    >> /usr/newconfig/etc/pam.conf.
    >>
    >> Also, if it is only for certain users, it may be /etc/pam_user.conf...

    I'm glad it helped...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

  5. Re: HP-UX11i Password Authentication

    wrote:
    > Thanks a lot Kevin.
    >
    > Somehow the /etc/pam.conf file got changed. Everything works now!

    Please, don't top-post. It confuses threads and makes reading very difficult.

    > Kevin Collins wrote:
    >> In article <1151067895.618693.158230@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    >> adam.m.leach@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Is there any reason when using rlogin or remsh into a server running
    >> > HP-UX11i, prompted for a password, anything you type in will work? If
    >> > you ssh into it, you have to provide the right password. What is
    >> > different about rlogin and ssh password authenication? How can I track
    >> > down what the problem could be?

    >> Sounds like a mis-configured PAM module for the r-commands. Have you done
    >> anything to /etc/pam.conf?
    >>
    >> If you think it is (or should be) unmodified, try updating pam.conf from
    >> /usr/newconfig/etc/pam.conf.
    >>
    >> Also, if it is only for certain users, it may be /etc/pam_user.conf...

    I'm glad it helped...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

+ Reply to Thread