automating glance - HP UX

This is a discussion on automating glance - HP UX ; Hello, I work as an hp ux night admin 2nd shift.. When i come in everyday , at 4pm I have to copy down the stats from the glance session that has been run by a fellow morning associate. We ...

  1. automating glance

    Hello,

    I work as an hp ux night admin 2nd shift.. When i come in everyday ,
    at 4pm I have to copy down the stats from the glance session that has
    been run by a fellow morning associate. We monitor the average and
    peaks for CPU,Disk,Memory, &Swap... We take down the data from 9am to
    1pm then from 2pm to 4pm... is there a way of making glance print out
    the data into a text file, at those intervals?

    It would be great if it could just print the data im looking for, not
    the whole screen...

    Thanks!!

    Rick

  2. Re: automating glance

    thesoulcrusher wrote:
    > I work as an hp ux night admin 2nd shift.. When i come in everyday ,
    > at 4pm I have to copy down the stats from the glance session that
    > has been run by a fellow morning associate. We monitor the average
    > and peaks for CPU,Disk,Memory, &Swap... We take down the data from
    > 9am to 1pm then from 2pm to 4pm... is there a way of making glance
    > print out the data into a text file, at those intervals?

    > It would be great if it could just print the data im looking for, not
    > the whole screen...

    What you want is MeasureWare, or whatever we are calling it these
    days. Logs 24x7x365 extract it whenever you wish etc etc.

    rick jones

  3. Re: automating glance

    In article , Rick Jones wrote:
    > thesoulcrusher wrote:
    >> I work as an hp ux night admin 2nd shift.. When i come in everyday ,
    >> at 4pm I have to copy down the stats from the glance session that
    >> has been run by a fellow morning associate. We monitor the average
    >> and peaks for CPU,Disk,Memory, &Swap... We take down the data from
    >> 9am to 1pm then from 2pm to 4pm... is there a way of making glance
    >> print out the data into a text file, at those intervals?

    >> It would be great if it could just print the data im looking for, not
    >> the whole screen...

    > What you want is MeasureWare, or whatever we are calling it these
    > days. Logs 24x7x365 extract it whenever you wish etc etc.

    Its now called OVPM...

    But, according to the last few lines of 'man glance':

    To run glance in the background against special adviser syntax,
    logging data to a file, you must first create a file that contains the
    appropriate adviser commands, then execute glance with stdout
    redirected to a file. For example:
    echo 'print gbl_stattime, " runq=", gbl_run_queue' >temp
    glance -aos ./temp -j 60>outfile &

    With a little bit of digging I found /opt/perf/examples/adviser, which has
    example "syntax" files. I expect you could slap together what you need. There
    is also a reference doc: /opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/adviser.pdf.

    I think it could definitely be done... I'm actually intrigued enough that I may
    spend some time investigating for my own purposes

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  4. Re: automating glance

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:49:10 GMT, Kevin Collins
    wrote:

    >In article , Rick Jones wrote:
    >> thesoulcrusher wrote:
    >>> I work as an hp ux night admin 2nd shift.. When i come in everyday ,
    >>> at 4pm I have to copy down the stats from the glance session that
    >>> has been run by a fellow morning associate. We monitor the average
    >>> and peaks for CPU,Disk,Memory, &Swap... We take down the data from
    >>> 9am to 1pm then from 2pm to 4pm... is there a way of making glance
    >>> print out the data into a text file, at those intervals?

    >>> It would be great if it could just print the data im looking for, not
    >>> the whole screen...

    >> What you want is MeasureWare, or whatever we are calling it these
    >> days. Logs 24x7x365 extract it whenever you wish etc etc.

    >Its now called OVPM...
    >
    >But, according to the last few lines of 'man glance':
    >
    > To run glance in the background against special adviser syntax,
    > logging data to a file, you must first create a file that contains the
    > appropriate adviser commands, then execute glance with stdout
    > redirected to a file. For example:
    > echo 'print gbl_stattime, " runq=", gbl_run_queue' >temp
    > glance -aos ./temp -j 60>outfile &
    >
    >With a little bit of digging I found /opt/perf/examples/adviser, which has
    >example "syntax" files. I expect you could slap together what you need. There
    >is also a reference doc: /opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/adviser.pdf.
    >
    >I think it could definitely be done... I'm actually intrigued enough that I may
    >spend some time investigating for my own purposes
    >
    >Kevin

    Glance adviser mode is very handy. Any metric providing data to an
    interactive Glance screen may be plugged into an adviser mode script
    (when viewing a Glance screen of interest hit "h" for help and look at
    the "current screen metrics").

    Measureware is now called OVPA (Open View Performance Agent) and it's
    little different from Measureware. It comes as part of the
    GlancePak/UX.

    OVPM is the Open View Performance Manager and is the replacement for
    Perfview ie the tool used to view the mwa/ovpa data. Perfview was X,
    OVPM is browser/Java based.

    Eric Stahl

  5. Re: automating glance

    In article <0onm92l479pj6i1111mlkehemkbsh6v605@4ax.com>, Eric Stahl wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:49:10 GMT, Kevin Collins
    > wrote:

    >>> What you want is MeasureWare, or whatever we are calling it these
    >>> days. Logs 24x7x365 extract it whenever you wish etc etc.

    >>Its now called OVPM...
    >>
    >>But, according to the last few lines of 'man glance':
    >>
    >> To run glance in the background against special adviser syntax,
    >> logging data to a file, you must first create a file that contains the
    >> appropriate adviser commands, then execute glance with stdout
    >> redirected to a file. For example:
    >> echo 'print gbl_stattime, " runq=", gbl_run_queue' >temp
    >> glance -aos ./temp -j 60>outfile &
    >>
    >>With a little bit of digging I found /opt/perf/examples/adviser, which has
    >>example "syntax" files. I expect you could slap together what you need. There
    >>is also a reference doc: /opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/adviser.pdf.
    >>
    >>I think it could definitely be done... I'm actually intrigued enough that I may
    >>spend some time investigating for my own purposes
    >>
    >>Kevin

    > Glance adviser mode is very handy. Any metric providing data to an
    > interactive Glance screen may be plugged into an adviser mode script
    > (when viewing a Glance screen of interest hit "h" for help and look at
    > the "current screen metrics").

    Nice to know...

    > Measureware is now called OVPA (Open View Performance Agent) and it's
    > little different from Measureware. It comes as part of the
    > GlancePak/UX.
    >
    > OVPM is the Open View Performance Manager and is the replacement for
    > Perfview ie the tool used to view the mwa/ovpa data. Perfview was X,
    > OVPM is browser/Java based.

    You're right, of course - thanks for catching that.

    BTW, we used to work together at the Roseville RC when you first started...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

  6. Re: automating glance

    Thanks alot guys for your help..

    I will look through it during my free time at work!

  7. Re: automating glance

    Kevin,

    Were you there when I was there? I used to work at the One Site before
    they closed it and moved it to Houston. I went with the factory to
    Houston.

    Darryl

    Kevin Collins wrote:

    > BTW, we used to work together at the Roseville RC when you first started...
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

+ Reply to Thread