Newbie question - please - HP UX

This is a discussion on Newbie question - please - HP UX ; I have an old 755/99 server with several disks and a cd drive. Also have a 10.20 cd that is titled HP-UX Install and core OS Software plus additional core enhancements dated April 1998. I would like to do a ...

  1. Newbie question - please

    I have an old 755/99 server with several disks and a cd drive. Also have
    a 10.20 cd that is titled HP-UX Install and core OS Software plus
    additional core enhancements dated April 1998. I would like to do a
    clean reload of the OS but I can't seem to get the cd to boot when os is
    down (ISL firmware boot) and cant get the cd to stay in the drive when
    os is running. How can I get the clean install going?
    I have some Sun Micro hardware experience but am not a Unix expert.

    Thanking you in advance,
    Dave

  2. Re: Newbie question - please

    bitt7462@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > I have an old 755/99 server with several disks and a cd drive. Also have
    > a 10.20 cd that is titled HP-UX Install and core OS Software plus
    > additional core enhancements dated April 1998.

    Does it say the CD is for "Workstations" (aka s700) or does it say "Servers" (aka s800)?

    The 735/99 is actually a "workstation" and back in 10.20 there were
    separate OS media for workstations vs servers. You need the
    "workstation" media.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  3. Re: Newbie question - please

    The cd indicates HP 9000 series 700 b/c/j class. I have loaded it before
    as an upgrade a while back. Since I'm learning, I have corrupted some
    things and wish to do a clean install.
    In the Sun world, one would command 'boot cdrom' from the firmware OK
    prompt. Is there a similar command in HP/UX ISP?
    Thanks
    Dave

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > bitt7462@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >
    >>I have an old 755/99 server with several disks and a cd drive. Also have
    >>a 10.20 cd that is titled HP-UX Install and core OS Software plus
    >>additional core enhancements dated April 1998.

    > Does it say the CD is for "Workstations" (aka s700) or does it say "Servers" (aka s800)?
    >
    > The 735/99 is actually a "workstation" and back in 10.20 there were
    > separate OS media for workstations vs servers. You need the
    > "workstation" media.
    >
    > rick jones

  4. Re: Newbie question - please

    bitt7462@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > The cd indicates HP 9000 series 700 b/c/j class. I have loaded it before
    > as an upgrade a while back. Since I'm learning, I have corrupted some
    > things and wish to do a clean install.
    > In the Sun world, one would command 'boot cdrom' from the firmware OK
    > prompt. Is there a similar command in HP/UX ISP?

    Somewhere along the boot sequence, you should see a "hit any key in 10
    seconds" or somesuch to interrupt the boot process. From there you
    can (IIRC the 735's had this) do a "search" (sea) command and if there
    is a bootable CD in the drive the drive will be listed as one of the
    boot options. You can then boot from that option with:

    boot

    to boot from the CD.

    rick jones

  5. Re: Newbie question - please

    Rick Jones
    Many thanks for your assistance! The on-board CD Drive seems to be
    defective. I had an old Plexor so I connected and now am able to
    read/load. I'll get into the original and see if something obvious is wrong.

    Thanks again,
    Dave

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > bitt7462@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >
    >>The cd indicates HP 9000 series 700 b/c/j class. I have loaded it before
    >>as an upgrade a while back. Since I'm learning, I have corrupted some
    >>things and wish to do a clean install.
    >>In the Sun world, one would command 'boot cdrom' from the firmware OK
    >>prompt. Is there a similar command in HP/UX ISP?

    > Somewhere along the boot sequence, you should see a "hit any key in 10
    > seconds" or somesuch to interrupt the boot process. From there you
    > can (IIRC the 735's had this) do a "search" (sea) command and if there
    > is a bootable CD in the drive the drive will be listed as one of the
    > boot options. You can then boot from that option with:
    >
    > boot
    >
    > to boot from the CD.
    >
    > rick jones

+ Reply to Thread