what is the next major release for IA after B.11.23? - HP UX

This is a discussion on what is the next major release for IA after B.11.23? - HP UX ; Hi, HP-UX website ( http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/ope...x11iupdate.pdf ) mentioned that there is going to be next release of HPUX B.11.23 very soon (I think it is 11i Version 3). I'm trying to undserstand the naming convension followed for HP releases. If there ...

  1. what is the next major release for IA after B.11.23?

    Hi,
    HP-UX website (http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/ope...x11iupdate.pdf )
    mentioned that there is going to be next release of HPUX B.11.23 very
    soon (I think it is 11i Version 3).

    I'm trying to undserstand the naming convension followed for HP
    releases. If there is going to be any major upgrade for HPUX IA64 now,
    is it going to be named as HPUX B.11.24 or something else?

    Also, I couldn't get the meaning of "B" in B.11.23.

    Is all the 3rd party tools supporting HPUX B.11.23 needs to be upgraded
    for supporting HPUX B11.24 or are they going to work fine? ( In Sun
    Solaris, usually, most of the 3rd party tools needs to be upgraded when
    changing the Sun Solaris version from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10).

    In Solaris, we consider migrating from SUN58 to SUN59 as major upgrade.
    I'm not able to understand can we consider migrating from HPUX11.23 to
    HPUX 11.24 can be considered a major upgrade?

    Also, I'm trying to understand , How frequently the version is going to
    change in HPUX.

    BTW, I have taken HPUX B.11.23 from "uname -sr" output from command
    prompt?

    Any respose to my above queries is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bujji

  2. Re: what is the next major release for IA after B.11.23?

    Bujji wrote:
    > Hi,
    > HP-UX website (http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/ope...x11iupdate.pdf )
    > mentioned that there is going to be next release of HPUX B.11.23 very
    > soon (I think it is 11i Version 3).
    >
    > I'm trying to undserstand the naming convension followed for HP
    > releases. If there is going to be any major upgrade for HPUX IA64 now,
    > is it going to be named as HPUX B.11.24 or something else?

    No it won't be 11.24

    > Also, I couldn't get the meaning of "B" in B.11.23.

    All releases prior to HP-UX 10 were A.XX.YY
    From HP-UX 10 onwards they have been B.XX.YY

    The naming pattern for HP releases I think dates back to circuit board
    designs. A letter change was a really major change.

    For HP-UX 9 to HP-UX 10 many of the filenames changes, this was
    considered a really major change.

    > Is all the 3rd party tools supporting HPUX B.11.23 needs to be upgraded
    > for supporting HPUX B11.24 or are they going to work fine? ( In Sun
    > Solaris, usually, most of the 3rd party tools needs to be upgraded when
    > changing the Sun Solaris version from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10).
    >
    > In Solaris, we consider migrating from SUN58 to SUN59 as major upgrade.
    > I'm not able to understand can we consider migrating from HPUX11.23 to
    > HPUX 11.24 can be considered a major upgrade?

    What constitutes a major change is often a matter of opinion.
    HP-UX 11i V3 should be compatible with 11iV2.
    Some vendors will certainly want to recertify the apps on the new
    version, other won't.

    > Also, I'm trying to understand , How frequently the version is going to
    > change in HPUX.

    I don't think there is a plan to role out new versions at particular
    intervals. When they did that with HP-UX 10, lots of software houses got
    really pissed off with them.

    > BTW, I have taken HPUX B.11.23 from "uname -sr" output from command
    > prompt?
    >
    > Any respose to my above queries is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bujji

    Hope this helps.

  3. Re: what is the next major release for IA after B.11.23?

    In article <1151588940.67899.0@iris.uk.clara.net>,
    Ken Green writes:
    > Bujji wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> HP-UX website (http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/ope...x11iupdate.pdf )
    >> mentioned that there is going to be next release of HPUX B.11.23 very
    >> soon (I think it is 11i Version 3).
    >>
    >> I'm trying to undserstand the naming convension followed for HP
    >> releases. If there is going to be any major upgrade for HPUX IA64 now,
    >> is it going to be named as HPUX B.11.24 or something else?

    > No it won't be 11.24
    >

    >> Also, I couldn't get the meaning of "B" in B.11.23.

    > All releases prior to HP-UX 10 were A.XX.YY
    > From HP-UX 10 onwards they have been B.XX.YY
    >
    > The naming pattern for HP releases I think dates back to circuit board
    > designs. A letter change was a really major change.
    >
    > For HP-UX 9 to HP-UX 10 many of the filenames changes, this was
    > considered a really major change.
    >

    >> Is all the 3rd party tools supporting HPUX B.11.23 needs to be upgraded
    >> for supporting HPUX B11.24 or are they going to work fine? ( In Sun
    >> Solaris, usually, most of the 3rd party tools needs to be upgraded when
    >> changing the Sun Solaris version from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10).
    >>
    >> In Solaris, we consider migrating from SUN58 to SUN59 as major upgrade.
    >> I'm not able to understand can we consider migrating from HPUX11.23 to
    >> HPUX 11.24 can be considered a major upgrade?

    > What constitutes a major change is often a matter of opinion.
    > HP-UX 11i V3 should be compatible with 11iV2.
    > Some vendors will certainly want to recertify the apps on the new
    > version, other won't.
    >

    >> Also, I'm trying to understand , How frequently the version is going to
    >> change in HPUX.

    > I don't think there is a plan to role out new versions at particular
    > intervals. When they did that with HP-UX 10, lots of software houses got
    > really pissed off with them.
    >

    >> BTW, I have taken HPUX B.11.23 from "uname -sr" output from command
    >> prompt?
    >>
    >> Any respose to my above queries is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bujji

    In a course at HP I noticed it will be 11.31.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread