ip_forwarding required ... - HP UX

This is a discussion on ip_forwarding required ... - HP UX ; Hi, I know that ip_forwarding is enabled on hpux by default. I also know, that I can disable it by using ndd or /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf. Can you please tell me, if ip_forwarding is required by Mission Critical? Thanks in advance Dirk...

  1. ip_forwarding required ...

    Hi,

    I know that ip_forwarding is enabled on hpux by default. I also know,
    that I can disable it by using ndd or /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf.

    Can you please tell me, if ip_forwarding is required by Mission
    Critical?

    Thanks in advance

    Dirk

  2. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    Dirk Deimeke wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that ip_forwarding is enabled on hpux by default. I also know,
    > that I can disable it by using ndd or /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf.
    >
    > Can you please tell me, if ip_forwarding is required by Mission
    > Critical?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dirk

    ip_forwarding is only needed if you want to be router.
    You do not normally want your HP-UX machines to be routers.

  3. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    Ken Green :

    > ip_forwarding is only needed if you want to be router.
    > You do not normally want your HP-UX machines to be routers.

    That is exeactly what I think.

    HP has ip_forwarding turned on by default ...

    Dirk

    --
    http://www.deimeke.net/dirk/blog/

  4. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    In article <85rmm3-em1.ln1@dirk.deimeke.net>, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
    > Ken Green :
    >
    >> ip_forwarding is only needed if you want to be router.
    >> You do not normally want your HP-UX machines to be routers.

    > That is exeactly what I think.
    >
    > HP has ip_forwarding turned on by default ...

    Why think? Its better to examine the facts:

    ndd -h ip_forwarding

    ip_forwarding:

    Controls how IP hosts forward packets: Set to 0 to inhibit
    forwarding; set to 1 to always forward; set to 2 to forward
    only if the number of logical interfaces on the system is 2
    or more. [0,2] Default: 2

    So, what that says is that IP forwarding is enabled by default, but *only* if
    you have multiple NICs.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  5. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    Kevin Collins:

    > So, what that says is that IP forwarding is enabled by default, but *only* if
    > you have multiple NICs.

    Otherwise forwarding does not make any sense, does it?

    Dirk

    --
    http://www.deimeke.net/dirk/blog/

  6. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    In article <9rlpm3-0n1.ln1@dirk.deimeke.net>, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
    > Kevin Collins:
    >
    >> So, what that says is that IP forwarding is enabled by default, but *only* if
    >> you have multiple NICs.

    > Otherwise forwarding does not make any sense, does it?

    Well, not really, but there is an option (1) that sets it on always...

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    http://www.unix-guy.com

  7. Re: ip_forwarding required ...

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    > In article <9rlpm3-0n1.ln1@dirk.deimeke.net>, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
    >> Kevin Collins:
    >>
    >>> So, what that says is that IP forwarding is enabled by default, but *only* if
    >>> you have multiple NICs.

    >> Otherwise forwarding does not make any sense, does it?

    > Well, not really, but there is an option (1) that sets it on always...
    >
    > Kevin

    Well you can have multiple IP addresses on one LAN card, and route
    between them.

    Also if you deliver a packet with the wrong IP address, but the right
    MAC addresses then HP-UX will forward it on to the system listed in it's
    arp table.

+ Reply to Thread