Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#" - HP UX

This is a discussion on Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#" - HP UX ; Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. And, I've got question with HP-UX 11. I tried to change my account password by "passwd". I found that I could change password to something like "aljfla@lfal" or "falj#fal" successfully. But, I can't telnet to ...

  1. Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#"

    Hi,

    I'm new to HP-UX. And, I've got question with HP-UX 11.

    I tried to change my account password by "passwd". I found that I could
    change
    password to something like "aljfla@lfal" or "falj#fal" successfully.
    But, I can't telnet to
    the HP box. Only if the account's password does not contain "@" or
    "#", I could telnet
    to the box. Testing with SSHD, there is no limit with password
    characters.

    Is that a limit of HP-UX telnetd? How can I change listening port of
    telnetd?

    thanks in advance.

    Joe

  2. Re: Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#"

    In article <1148658620.318010.132550@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    jshen.cad@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to HP-UX. And, I've got question with HP-UX 11.
    >

    > I tried to change my account password by "passwd". I found that I could
    > change
    > password to something like "aljfla@lfal" or "falj#fal" successfully.
    > But, I can't telnet to
    > the HP box. Only if the account's password does not contain "@" or
    > "#", I could telnet
    > to the box. Testing with SSHD, there is no limit with password
    > characters.
    >

    > Is that a limit of HP-UX telnetd? How can I change listening port of
    > telnetd?

    That is correct. The HP-UX telnetd (and some others, I think) do not know your
    terminal-type before you have logged in. As such, the "@" is mapped to "erase
    to beginning of line" and the "#" is treated as a backspace.

    You can change the port by modifying /etc/services to use the (unused) port of
    your choice and then telling the inetd process to re-read its config with
    'inetd -c'.

    Kevin
    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: Can't telnet with password containing"@" or "#"

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    : That is correct. The HP-UX telnetd (and some others, I think) do not know your
    : terminal-type before you have logged in. As such, the "@" is mapped to "erase
    : to beginning of line" and the "#" is treated as a backspace.

    You can still use them if you quote them with "\".

+ Reply to Thread