HP 11.11 and restarting daemons - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP 11.11 and restarting daemons - HP UX ; I would like to restart syslog and sendmail. Is there a "how-to" page or can someone give me the process to do this? Robert P.S. Oh yeah, I am a brand spaking new HP admin....

  1. HP 11.11 and restarting daemons

    I would like to restart syslog and sendmail. Is there a "how-to" page
    or can someone give me the process to do this?

    Robert

    P.S. Oh yeah, I am a brand spaking new HP admin.

  2. Re: HP 11.11 and restarting daemons

    Robert Hicks wrote:
    > I would like to restart syslog and sendmail. Is there a "how-to" page
    > or can someone give me the process to do this?

    >From "man syslogd":

    To kill syslogd, send it a terminate signal:

    kill `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

    To make syslogd, re-read its configuration file, send it a HANGUP
    signal:

    kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

    >From "man killsm":

    killsm reads the /etc/mail/sendmail.pid file to find the pid
    number of
    the currently running sendmail daemon, and then kills that
    daemon. The
    ``/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop'' command does the same thing.

    HP recommends that system administrators use
    ``/sbin/init.d/sendmail
    start'' and ``/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop'' to start and stop
    sendmail;
    these startup scripts are used when the system is booting to
    start
    sendmail.

  3. Re: HP 11.11 and restarting daemons

    Thanks!