mv question - HP UX

This is a discussion on mv question - HP UX ; Hello, I have a file1 owned by user1, I want to move that file as user2 (user2 is the same group as user1). When I move the file, it works but its still owned by user1. How do I move ...

  1. mv question

    Hello,

    I have a file1 owned by user1, I want to move that file as user2
    (user2 is the same group as user1). When I move the file, it works but
    its still owned by user1. How do I move the file and change the owener
    to user2.

    I prefer not to use cp command - which will change the owner to user2.

    Thank you for your help!

  2. Re: mv question

    You can run "chown user:group filename" if you don't mind two steps in
    the move. You will have to be either superuser or user1 at the time
    you run chown though.

    Kyle J.

+ Reply to Thread