HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media... - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media... - HP UX ; Hi, I was wondering if someone competent can clarify how it is with licensing HP-UX and passing licenses for third party. What's my point: I have B132L which has 11.00 installed with unlimited-user license. However, the only thing I have ...

  1. HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Hi,

    I was wondering if someone competent can clarify how it is with
    licensing HP-UX and passing licenses for third party.
    What's my point: I have B132L which has 11.00 installed with
    unlimited-user license. However, the only thing I have from
    installation media is Network Node Manager for HP-UX 11, and since I
    have bigger disk, and that's good occasion to install from scratch.

    Is there a way to obtain license for 11.00 without need of any support
    contract, buing newer 11i or anything that will be more costly than 132
    itself...? What's with "scraping" old machines and selling them to
    third parties lime me: is rumor, that license passes on user with the
    machine, true?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rambo

  2. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * m_roguski@yahoo.com:

    > I was wondering if someone competent can clarify how it is with
    > licensing HP-UX and passing licenses for third party.

    This has been done several times in this ng, and also just a few days
    ago. If you'd done a short search you'd probably found that...

    > What's my point: I have B132L which has 11.00 installed with
    > unlimited-user license. However, the only thing I have from
    > installation media is Network Node Manager for HP-UX 11, and since I
    > have bigger disk, and that's good occasion to install from scratch.
    >
    > Is there a way to obtain license for 11.00 without need of any support
    > contract, buing newer 11i or anything that will be more costly than 132
    > itself...?

    If the B132L already ran with 11.0 it already should have a license, right?

    > What's with "scraping" old machines and selling them to
    > third parties lime me: is rumor, that license passes on user with the
    > machine, true?

    Nope. With Series 700 (workstations) the license is bound to the
    machine, with Series 800 (servers) the license is bound to the owner and
    the machine. As to media, you are allowed to borrow or buy a media kit
    to reinstall the HP-UX version your machine has been licensed for...

    Benjamin

  3. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    > This has been done several times in this ng, and also just a few days
    > ago. If you'd done a short search you'd probably found that...

    Don't take me wrong, I did search and looked at FAQ, just wanted to
    have that "black on white" from someone who at least @hp.com in mail,
    in case someone asks inconvinient question "What's that HP-UX doing on
    your eMule?"

  4. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * m_roguski@yahoo.com:

    >> This has been done several times in this ng, and also just a few days
    >> ago. If you'd done a short search you'd probably found that...

    > Don't take me wrong, I did search and looked at FAQ, just wanted to
    > have that "black on white" from someone who at least @hp.com in mail,
    > in case someone asks inconvinient question "What's that HP-UX doing on
    > your eMule?"

    You can be sure that _noone_ working at HP will make _any_ official
    statements to _anything_ here on the newsgroup because this could be a
    good way of getting rid of his job. Of course there are some HP guys
    here like Rick Jones, but if you read any of his posts you'll see he
    always states clearly that everything he says (writes) here is his own
    opionion and nothing official from HP. So don't expect any official
    works from HP on this matter.

    But fact is that with PA-RISC workstations the HP-UX license is bound to
    the machine. Period. Unlike servers, none of these workstations were
    sold without any version of HP-UX. Since HP-UX beofre 10.20 couldn't be
    made Y2k compliant in 1999 HP granted all workstations that run a older
    version a free license update to 10.20 (they also shipped free media
    sets for some period). Besides that, most older workstation came with
    only a 2 user license which HP also upgraded later for free to unlimited
    user. IIRC later when 10.20 was EOL'd they also granted free licenses to
    11.0 for all workstations, again with a period of free media sets.

    As to HP-UX in Emule etc: even if you have a license, downloading HP-UX
    from Emule etc is illegal. You have to use a generic (original) media
    kit to install HP-UX, obtaining the installation media from an illegal
    source (Emule per se is not illegal of course, but the HP-UX files are)
    doesn't make it legal if you have a license. Besides that I doubt that
    Emule has any somewhat current media set for download that also will
    support newer hardware like the faster Allegro workstations with PA-8700
    or gfx cards like the FireGL-UX.

    There often are HP-UX media on ebay, and they usually go for way less
    than media for other UNIXes like SGIs dead horse IRIX. And honestly, if
    it's for private hobbyist use, I really doubt HP gives a f**k on what
    you run on an old B132L workstation, unlike SGI they also don't try to
    sue people that sell HP-UX media kits on ebay.
    And under these circumstances I'd avoid 11.0 and go with 11i (11.11, not
    11.20, 11.22 or 11.23!) ;-)

    Benjamin

  5. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    > I really doubt HP gives a f**k on what you run on an old B132L workstation

    I have no doubts about that, however there is something called Business
    Software Alliance in Poland, and they don't have exactly spottless
    record (some call them "mental"), and I'm not really have mood to have
    my B132L taken away for "legality investigation" (my web page, where I
    present proudly my collection- thanks to Grant Grundler even with 8700
    prototype, is pretty often visited, and recent "activity" made me
    little uneasy...

    > And under these circumstances I'd avoid 11.0 and go with 11i (11.11, not
    > 11.20, 11.22 or 11.23!) ;-)

    Well, to be honest I'm pretty satisfied, maybe 11.00 is old, but even
    in time when the system was held "by nails" together, I managed to get
    it running flawlessly (but lack disk space now).

    Rambo

  6. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    > First, HP is not member of the BSA, and the BSA only cares of software
    > of their members.[...] So even if you call HP and ask them what version
    > your B132L is licensed for they probably are not able to tell you.

    Like they say, a little paranoia never hurt anyone
    Anyway, you're probably right and I don't need to bother myself that
    much.
    I think I'll even have someone with 11.11 around.

    [mode show_off =ON]
    http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/komputery.html?nr=6
    Ain't it beautiful?
    [mode OFF]

    Rambo

  7. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * m_roguski@yahoo.com:

    >> First, HP is not member of the BSA, and the BSA only cares of software
    >> of their members.[...] So even if you call HP and ask them what version
    >> your B132L is licensed for they probably are not able to tell you.

    > Like they say, a little paranoia never hurt anyone
    > Anyway, you're probably right and I don't need to bother myself that
    > much.
    > I think I'll even have someone with 11.11 around.

    And be sure to get the latest patchset from itrc.hp.com...

    > [mode show_off =ON]
    > http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/komputery.html?nr=6
    > Ain't it beautiful?
    > [mode OFF]

    Yes, it's a very nice machine. I still have an old B180L standing
    around, and even with the rare vertical stand!

    What are you using the B132L for? If it's gfx then have a look at the
    Allegro workstations (B1000, C3000 - c3750) which are really _dirt_
    cheap on ebay (c3600s 552MHz for ~130EUR). And when it comes to
    performance they kick every SGIs Fuels arse ;-)

    Benjamin

  8. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    m_roguski@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>First, HP is not member of the BSA, and the BSA only cares of software
    >>of their members.[...] So even if you call HP and ask them what version
    >>your B132L is licensed for they probably are not able to tell you.

    > Like they say, a little paranoia never hurt anyone
    > Anyway, you're probably right and I don't need to bother myself that
    > much.
    > I think I'll even have someone with 11.11 around.
    >
    > [mode show_off =ON]
    > http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/komputery.html?nr=6
    > Ain't it beautiful?
    > [mode OFF]
    >
    > Rambo

    HPUX 11.0 is unsupported as of 12-31-06. If you have a server that
    you bought from someone else you must have an LTA ( license transfer
    agreement ) to allow you to run 11.x legally. If you have a workstation
    that was released with 11.0 then it licensed for 11.x, and you can run
    11.1/2 legeally on it. I have been dealing with it at work, PITA, I dont
    work for HP.

    Alan

  9. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    On 30 Apr 2006 12:45:57 -0700, m_roguski@yahoo.com wrote:

    >> First, HP is not member of the BSA, and the BSA only cares of software
    >> of their members.[...] So even if you call HP and ask them what version
    >> your B132L is licensed for they probably are not able to tell you.

    >Like they say, a little paranoia never hurt anyone
    >Anyway, you're probably right and I don't need to bother myself that
    >much.
    >I think I'll even have someone with 11.11 around.
    >
    >[mode show_off =ON]
    >http://rambo.id.uw.edu.pl/komputery.html?nr=6
    >Ain't it beautiful?
    >[mode OFF]

    Nice collection of systems you have.
    One remark regarding the B132L, the onboard lan interface is 100Mbit
    instead of 10Mbit ;-)

  10. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Sorry, that would be B132l+

  11. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * Marcel Burggraeve:

    > One remark regarding the B132L, the onboard lan interface is 100Mbit
    > instead of 10Mbit ;-)

    Nope. The B132L+ has 100MBit while the B132L is 10Mbit only.

    Benjamin

  12. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Indeed, netnews is not a channel for official pronoucements from HP.

    www.netperf.org used to run on a B132L+. I'd have to say that IMO the
    BXXX's were among the best 32-bit workstations HP produced.

    I don't recall if we ever officialy "supported" 11.11 on the B132's so
    this may apply:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    And while I think it is a good thing to have people doing stuff with
    HP-UX, and do not wish to discourage anyone from doing so, I will also
    point-out there is a PA-RISC version of Linux out there that might
    make an interesting second boot option. http://www.parisc-linux.org
    would be a decent starting point there.

    rick jones

  13. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * Rick Jones:

    > I'd have to say that IMO the
    > BXXX's were among the best 32-bit workstations HP produced.

    Agreed. I was no fan of the older 700 series machines (705, 710, 715
    etc), but the old B-class machines are really great and rock solid.

    > I don't recall if we ever officialy "supported" 11.11 on the B132's

    Yes, 11.11 was indeed supported on the B132L...

    > And while I think it is a good thing to have people doing stuff with
    > HP-UX, and do not wish to discourage anyone from doing so, I will also
    > point-out there is a PA-RISC version of Linux out there that might
    > make an interesting second boot option. http://www.parisc-linux.org
    > would be a decent starting point there.

    Right, but if it has to be Linux then the best platform for it is a PC.
    Period. PA-RISC Linux has made progress but it's not even somewhat close
    to Linux on x86/x64, and of course also not to HP-UX on PA-RISC and IPF.

    Benjamin

  14. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Rick Jones:
    >
    > > I'd have to say that IMO the
    > > BXXX's were among the best 32-bit workstations HP produced.

    > Agreed. I was no fan of the older 700 series machines (705, 710, 715
    > etc), but the old B-class machines are really great and rock solid.

    Second, I know I never part with mine (unless it burns to ashes, then I
    buy
    another one), it's so elegant in design, really a masterpiece. Just
    watched
    C200+ but while an interesting architecture, the "sweetness" level of
    it
    dropped somehow- I don't know, maybe it's because it's so honking
    big...

    > > PA-RISC version of Linux out there that might
    > > make an interesting second boot option. http://www.parisc-linux.org
    > > would be a decent starting point there.

    > Right, but if it has to be Linux then the best platform for it is a PC.

    In deed, booting so non-native OS is "cheating" IMO .

    Rambo

  15. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Don't get me wrong. I was also very fond of my 735/99 and wish I
    still had it around as a collector's item. Ditto for the J6000

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  16. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Don't get me wrong. I was also very fond of my 735/99 and wish I
    > still had it around as a collector's item. Ditto for the J6000

    I'd still want a 4xx Apollo, would go nice with my envizex

  17. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    * Rick Jones:

    > Don't get me wrong. I was also very fond of my 735/99 and wish I
    > still had it around as a collector's item. Ditto for the J6000

    I like the Allegro workstations best. Fast, quite silent, nice design
    (especially the older ones that still have the "Visualize" logo on both
    sides!), and extremely reliable...

    From the old (beige) systems, the old J-Class is also my favourite. I
    still have a nice J2240 standing here :-)

    BTW: if anyone happen to have a front cover for an J200/J210/J282/J2240
    in good condition, I'm looking for one...

    Benjamin

  18. Re: HP-UX EOL systems, licenses, media...

    On 1 May 2006 02:27:41 -0700, m_roguski@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Sorry, that would be B132l+

    Yep you're right, mixed up two models.

+ Reply to Thread