nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11 - HP UX

This is a discussion on nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11 - HP UX ; I am attempting to compile nmap v4.03 under HP-UX 11.11, using GNU standard tools (e.g., gcc v4.0.2, gmake v3.80, binutils v2.16.1), libpcap v0.9.4, and pcre v6.6. For a number of reasons, I can not use a binary and must compile ...

  1. nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    I am attempting to compile nmap v4.03 under HP-UX 11.11, using GNU
    standard tools (e.g., gcc v4.0.2, gmake v3.80, binutils v2.16.1),
    libpcap v0.9.4, and pcre v6.6. For a number of reasons, I can not use
    a binary and must compile from the source.

    The following configure runs to completion with no problems:

    # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl

    But the follow on make fails:

    # make

    Compiling nmap
    rm -f nmap
    g++ -Lnbase -Lnsock/src/ -o nmap main.o nmap.o targets.o tcpip.o
    nmap_error.o utils.o idle_scan.o osscan.o output.o scan_engine.o
    timing.o charpool.o services.o protocols.o nmap_rpc.o portlist.o
    NmapOps.o TargetGroup.o Target.o FingerPrintResults.o service_scan.o
    NmapOutputTable.o MACLookup.o nmap_tty.o nmap_dns.o -lnbase -lnsock
    -lpcre -lpcap libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a -lm
    /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    close_mib (first referenced in
    libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    open_mib (first referenced in
    libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    get_mib_info (first referenced in
    libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [nmap] Error 1

    I have also installed libdnet v1.11 and re-configured:

    # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl
    --with-libdnet=/usr/local

    And, re-made:

    # make

    Compiling nmap
    rm -f nmap
    g++ -L/usr/local/lib -Lnbase -Lnsock/src/ -o nmap main.o nmap.o
    targets.o tcpip.o nmap_error.o utils.o idle_scan.o osscan.o output.o
    scan_engine.o timing.o charpool.o services.o protocols.o nmap_rpc.o
    portlist.o NmapOps.o TargetGroup.o Target.o FingerPrintResults.o
    service_scan.o NmapOutputTable.o MACLookup.o nmap_tty.o nmap_dns.o
    -lnbase -lnsock -lpcre -lpcap -ldnet -lm
    /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    close_mib (first referenced in
    /usr/local/lib/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    open_mib (first referenced in
    /usr/local/lib/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    get_mib_info (first referenced in
    /usr/local/lib/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [nmap] Error 1

    Also, to no avail. I had read a previous posting to the nmap-dev list
    (30 Jan 2004), from one Saravanan, where a similar problem (different
    library, different symbols) was observed, with nmap v3.50, under HP-UX
    11.11. The posted solution posted had been to change the library
    symbol positions. I have tried several combinations, again, to no
    avail.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    jsmith665 wrote:
    > I am attempting to compile nmap v4.03 under HP-UX 11.11, using GNU
    > standard tools (e.g., gcc v4.0.2, gmake v3.80, binutils v2.16.1),
    > libpcap v0.9.4, and pcre v6.6. For a number of reasons, I can not use
    > a binary and must compile from the source.

    > The following configure runs to completion with no problems:

    > # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl

    > But the follow on make fails:

    > # make
    >
    > Compiling nmap
    > rm -f nmap
    > g++ -Lnbase -Lnsock/src/ -o nmap main.o nmap.o targets.o tcpip.o
    > nmap_error.o utils.o idle_scan.o osscan.o output.o scan_engine.o
    > timing.o charpool.o services.o protocols.o nmap_rpc.o portlist.o
    > NmapOps.o TargetGroup.o Target.o FingerPrintResults.o service_scan.o
    > NmapOutputTable.o MACLookup.o nmap_tty.o nmap_dns.o -lnbase -lnsock
    > -lpcre -lpcap libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a -lm
    > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    > close_mib (first referenced in
    > libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    > open_mib (first referenced in
    > libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    > get_mib_info (first referenced in
    > libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > make: *** [nmap] Error 1

    > I have also installed libdnet v1.11 and re-configured:

    > # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl
    > --with-libdnet=/usr/local

    I assume that libdnet is what is expected to provide those routines?
    If so, are you certain those routines are indeed still in that library?

    rick jones

  3. Re: nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:41:20 GMT, Rick Jones
    wrote:

    >jsmith665 wrote:
    >> I am attempting to compile nmap v4.03 under HP-UX 11.11, using GNU
    >> standard tools (e.g., gcc v4.0.2, gmake v3.80, binutils v2.16.1),
    >> libpcap v0.9.4, and pcre v6.6. For a number of reasons, I can not use
    >> a binary and must compile from the source.

    >> The following configure runs to completion with no problems:

    >> # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl

    >> But the follow on make fails:

    >> # make
    >>
    >> Compiling nmap
    >> rm -f nmap
    >> g++ -Lnbase -Lnsock/src/ -o nmap main.o nmap.o targets.o tcpip.o
    >> nmap_error.o utils.o idle_scan.o osscan.o output.o scan_engine.o
    >> timing.o charpool.o services.o protocols.o nmap_rpc.o portlist.o
    >> NmapOps.o TargetGroup.o Target.o FingerPrintResults.o service_scan.o
    >> NmapOutputTable.o MACLookup.o nmap_tty.o nmap_dns.o -lnbase -lnsock
    >> -lpcre -lpcap libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a -lm
    >> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    >> close_mib (first referenced in
    >> libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    >> open_mib (first referenced in
    >> libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    >> get_mib_info (first referenced in
    >> libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a(arp-ioctl.o)) (code)
    >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >> make: *** [nmap] Error 1

    >> I have also installed libdnet v1.11 and re-configured:

    >> # CC=gcc ./configure --without-nmapfe --without-openssl
    >> --with-libdnet=/usr/local

    >I assume that libdnet is what is expected to provide those routines?
    >If so, are you certain those routines are indeed still in that library?
    >
    >rick jones

    Alas, no, I am not certain, although it is certainly something that I
    will look into. For what it is worth (and I understand that this does
    not negate your point; on the contrary, it may serve to reinforce it),
    I get the same error whether using the libnet internal to nmap or
    using an external, compiled version.

  4. Re: nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    jsmith665 wrote:
    > Alas, no, I am not certain, although it is certainly something that
    > I will look into. For what it is worth (and I understand that this
    > does not negate your point; on the contrary, it may serve to
    > reinforce it), I get the same error whether using the libnet
    > internal to nmap or using an external, compiled version.

    My first guess then would be that you have another dependency to
    satisfy.

    rick jones

  5. Re: nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > My first guess then would be that you have another dependency to
    > satisfy.

    BTW, some things I find helpful when trying to track-down misssing
    functions includes:

    find /usr/include -exec grep -l {} \;

    and

    cd /usr/lib
    for i in *.sl (or .so etc)
    do
    echo $i
    nm $i | grep -i
    done

    that will sometimes find me include files that I forgot to include and
    or libraries I forgot to link.

    rick jones

  6. Re: nmap 4.03 compile failing under hp-ux 11.11

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:08:30 GMT, Rick Jones
    wrote:

    >Rick Jones wrote:
    >> My first guess then would be that you have another dependency to
    >> satisfy.

    >BTW, some things I find helpful when trying to track-down misssing
    >functions includes:
    >
    >find /usr/include -exec grep -l {} \;
    >
    >and
    >
    >cd /usr/lib
    >for i in *.sl (or .so etc)
    >do
    >echo $i
    >nm $i | grep -i
    >done
    >
    >that will sometimes find me include files that I forgot to include and
    >or libraries I forgot to link.
    >
    >rick jones

    I will look into both possibilities. And, when I find something, I
    will post my results (good or bad).

    Thanks, for your help.

+ Reply to Thread