Could not fork: Not enough space - HP UX

This is a discussion on Could not fork: Not enough space - HP UX ; hello I got this error in my syslog and my system is stoped responding. I am not able to run any of the application. Than at last i have rebooted my system and its working ok now. I just wanted ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Could not fork: Not enough space

  1. Could not fork: Not enough space

    hello
    I got this error in my syslog and my system is stoped responding. I am
    not able to run any of the application. Than at last i have rebooted my
    system and its working ok now. I just wanted to know why it was
    happend. Can anyone help me

    Apr 27 14:37:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 14:57:08 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 14:57:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 17 times
    Apr 27 14:57:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 15:16:41 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 15:17:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 22 times
    Apr 27 15:17:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 15:29:28 bkpmgmt sshd[809]: error: fork: Not enough space
    Apr 27 15:31:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space

    Thanks in advance

    Regards,
    Parth


  2. Re: Could not fork: Not enough space

    pintoo wrote:
    > Apr 27 14:37:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 14:57:08 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 14:57:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 17 times
    > Apr 27 14:57:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 15:16:41 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 15:17:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 22 times
    > Apr 27 15:17:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 15:29:28 bkpmgmt sshd[809]: error: fork: Not enough space
    > Apr 27 15:31:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space


    First your RAM, then the swap got full. Check the space
    available using swapinfo and check if there is any user
    application causing huge memory leaks. Increase swap
    space.

    --vishwas.

  3. Re: Could not fork: Not enough space

    In article ,
    Vishwas Pai writes:
    > pintoo wrote:
    >> Apr 27 14:37:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 14:57:08 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 14:57:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 17 times
    >> Apr 27 14:57:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 15:16:41 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 15:17:13 bkpmgmt above message repeats 22 times
    >> Apr 27 15:17:32 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 15:29:28 bkpmgmt sshd[809]: error: fork: Not enough space
    >> Apr 27 15:31:59 bkpmgmt prngd[1759]: Could not fork: Not enough space

    >
    > First your RAM, then the swap got full. Check the space
    > available using swapinfo and check if there is any user
    > application causing huge memory leaks. Increase swap
    > space.
    >
    > --vishwas.


    Hello,

    it could also be kernel parameters, especially maxuprc and nproc.

    Yours, Hans Martin.

  4. Re: Could not fork: Not enough space

    root wrote:
    > it could also be kernel parameters, especially maxuprc and nproc.


    I believe that would be a different errno:

    fork(2) fork(2)

    [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of
    processes under execution would be exceeded.

    [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of
    processes under execution by a single user would
    be exceeded.

    rick jones
    --
    The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full. The glass has a leak.
    The real question is "Can it be patched?"
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  5. Re: Could not fork: Not enough space

    Thanks for the reply - All


    Rick Jones wrote:
    > root wrote:
    > > it could also be kernel parameters, especially maxuprc and nproc.

    >
    > I believe that would be a different errno:
    >
    > fork(2) fork(2)
    >
    > [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of
    > processes under execution would be exceeded.
    >
    > [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of
    > processes under execution by a single user would
    > be exceeded.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full. The glass has a leak.
    > The real question is "Can it be patched?"
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...



+ Reply to Thread