long hostname question - HP UX

This is a discussion on long hostname question - HP UX ; Have an 8400 that has a hostname of more that is 9 chars. In 11i at least, this is a no-no, but that's besided the point, as the box is in production and i have to "deal with it." Haven't ...

  1. long hostname question

    Have an 8400 that has a hostname of more that is 9 chars. In 11i at
    least, this is a no-no, but that's besided the point, as the box is in
    production and i have to "deal with it."

    Haven't noticed too many difficulties execpt I have the oracle folks
    complaining that 'uname -n' gives the truncated hostname. I have told
    them to use 'hostname' but it's some script they have the same on all
    boxes. So, anyway to get uname -n to report the hostname?

    Thanks

  2. Re: long hostname question

    In article <1139001118.913518.225940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, albemuth
    wrote:
    > Have an 8400 that has a hostname of more that is 9 chars. In 11i at
    > least, this is a no-no, but that's besided the point, as the box is in
    > production and i have to "deal with it."
    >
    > Haven't noticed too many difficulties execpt I have the oracle folks
    > complaining that 'uname -n' gives the truncated hostname. I have told
    > them to use 'hostname' but it's some script they have the same on all
    > boxes. So, anyway to get uname -n to report the hostname?

    There have been a number of patches in the recent past claiming "pre-enablement
    for long hostnames" - open a call with HP and see if it is supported now. It
    could very well be.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: long hostname question

    albemuth wrote:
    > Have an 8400 that has a hostname of more that is 9 chars. In 11i at
    > least, this is a no-no, but that's besided the point, as the box is in
    > production and i have to "deal with it."

    11i which? 1.0 or 2.0?

    > Haven't noticed too many difficulties execpt I have the oracle folks
    > complaining that 'uname -n' gives the truncated hostname. I have told
    > them to use 'hostname' but it's some script they have the same on all
    > boxes. So, anyway to get uname -n to report the hostname?

    I suspect not. And while I cannot really defend the current
    limitations on the name returned by uname -n and anxiously await its
    enhancement IMO, if the intent is to do things with TCP/IP networking
    it is a _bug_ to use uname -n instead of hostname. The names are from
    different "namespaces."

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?