Swap space/Phys Mem configuration - HP UX

This is a discussion on Swap space/Phys Mem configuration - HP UX ; Hi I would like your idea on this situation Here is a typical configuration that we have Physical Memory: 16 Gigs Swap: 1 logical device of 16 Gigs Swap Device Type Avail Used Priority -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- /dev/vg00/lvol2 device 16.0gb 0mb 1 ...

  1. Swap space/Phys Mem configuration

    Hi
    I would like your idea on this situation

    Here is a typical configuration that we have

    Physical Memory: 16 Gigs
    Swap: 1 logical device of 16 Gigs

    Swap Device Type Avail Used
    Priority
    /dev/vg00/lvol2 device 16.0gb 0mb
    1
    pseudo-swap memory 12.4gb 8.4gb na

    Total VM : 462.7mb Sys Mem : 1.89gb User Mem: 284.0mb Phys Mem:
    16.0gb
    Active VM: 402.0mb Buf Cache: 8.00gb Free Mem: 5.83gb

    and that was at 99.7% IDLE

    That is a nightly build machine.
    And we -frequently- ran into:

    /usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT /usr/lib/libstd_v2.2
    /usr/lib/dld.sl: Not enough space

    I remember that Swap >= 4 * Physical Memory. Because the above
    configuration does not make use of Virtual Memory Swap at all.

    Anybody can back me up on that?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Swap space/Phys Mem configuration

    On 26 Jan 2006 11:28:43 -0800, nickelstat@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >Hi
    >I would like your idea on this situation
    >
    >Here is a typical configuration that we have
    >
    >Physical Memory: 16 Gigs
    >Swap: 1 logical device of 16 Gigs
    >
    >Swap Device Type Avail Used
    >Priority
    >/dev/vg00/lvol2 device 16.0gb 0mb
    >1
    >pseudo-swap memory 12.4gb 8.4gb na
    >
    >Total VM : 462.7mb Sys Mem : 1.89gb User Mem: 284.0mb Phys Mem:
    > 16.0gb
    >Active VM: 402.0mb Buf Cache: 8.00gb Free Mem: 5.83gb
    >
    >and that was at 99.7% IDLE
    >
    >That is a nightly build machine.
    >And we -frequently- ran into:
    >
    >/usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT /usr/lib/libstd_v2.2
    >/usr/lib/dld.sl: Not enough space
    >
    >I remember that Swap >= 4 * Physical Memory. Because the above
    >configuration does not make use of Virtual Memory Swap at all.
    >
    >Anybody can back me up on that?
    >
    >Thanks

    You don't show PCT USED from the total line of swapinfo -tam, but
    from the other data, that shouldn't be the issue ie looks like you've
    got plenty of swap space for reservation. Especially as you've got
    pseudo-swap enabled.

    Is this a 32-bit process that's returning the error? If so, then the
    next most likely problem would be a full or fragmented 32-bit global
    address space.

    ipcs would show shared memory segments and sizes, but not memory
    mapped files or shared libraries - or fragmentation issues. And it
    doesn't differentiate between 32-bit and 64-bit structures.

    There's an unsupported HP utility called shminfo that is useful in
    this situation for showing exactly what's free and contiguous for
    32-bit mmap'ing. Either call the HP Response Center to ask for a copy,
    or else I think it's available from an external anonymous ftp site.
    Maybe another member of this group has the address for that.

    Those are the two most likely scenarios for "not enough space" ie
    insufficient swap space or full/fragmented shared address space.

    There should also have been an errno 12 (ENOMEM) somewhere in there...
    so other possibilities include insufficient lockable memory, hitting
    shm* tunable parameter limits etc.

    The "not enough space" would seem to rule out permissions issues.

    Eric Stahl

  3. Re: Swap space/Phys Mem configuration

    nickelstat@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    : /usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap() failed - TEXT /usr/lib/libstd_v2.2
    : /usr/lib/dld.sl: Not enough space

    : I remember that Swap >= 4 * Physical Memory. Because the above
    : configuration does not make use of Virtual Memory Swap at all.

    Since this is TEXT, it probably isn't related to swap.

    What version of /usr/lib/dld.sl do you have?

    One possible dld bug is:
    JAGaf50721 random /usr/lib/dld.sl: Call to mmap()failed - TEXT ...
    This is patch in PHSS_33349.

  4. Re: Swap space/Phys Mem configuration

    nickelstat@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Physical Memory: 16 Gigs
    > Active VM: 402.0mb Buf Cache: 8.00gb Free Mem: 5.83gb

    Hi,
    -Buf cache is too high: SAM->kernel-> change dbc_pct_max from 50% to 10%.
    -Whith GPM and command "extract" you can find which process consumme too much memory.
    -Install lastest Quality Pack.
    -With 32 bits processes, you can have problem with memory quadrant restriction.
    -Check kernel parameter related to max memory used by each process: maxdsiz
    -Verify with swapinfo -tam and GPM -> memory.

    See doc http://docs.hp.com/en/1218/mem_mgt.html
    http://docs.hp.com/en/5580/Misconfigured_Resources.pdf

    Alain.

  5. Re: Swap space/Phys Mem configuration

    I'm sorry it took sometimes (busy busy)
    /usr/lib/dld.sl:
    SMART_BIND
    92453-07 dld dld dld.sl B.11.44 050228

    And we found the guilty process that keeps forking processes over and
    over.

    But what about SWAP = PHYS MEM = 16G? isn't it not making good use of
    memory because the way VM is allocated?

+ Reply to Thread