sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address - HP UX

This is a discussion on sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address - HP UX ; Hello I am having trouble with sending an email attachment from the command line to an external email address(one which is not work related). When the email is sent the external recipient gets it but the attachment is in the ...

  1. sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    Hello

    I am having trouble with sending an email attachment from the command
    line to an external email address(one which is not work related). When
    the email is sent the external recipient gets it but the attachment is
    in the main body of the email. Yet when the email is sent to an
    internal company address the attachment is in the correct place.

    This is what I have used

    ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv | mailx -m -s "report info"
    external@company.outthere

    Any ideas?

    Regards

    Stevan

  2. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    I send email attachment this way...

    /usr2/baanIV/script/cstocs il2 1250 /netbackup/nakup/file > /tmp/file
    uuencode /tmp/file file | mailx -s 'Subject' username@neco.cz
    rm /tmp/file

    --

    Pavel K.

    píse v diskusním príspevku
    news:1137582298.639156.296780@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello
    >
    > I am having trouble with sending an email attachment from the command
    > line to an external email address(one which is not work related). When
    > the email is sent the external recipient gets it but the attachment is
    > in the main body of the email. Yet when the email is sent to an
    > internal company address the attachment is in the correct place.
    >
    > This is what I have used
    >
    > ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv | mailx -m -s "report info"
    > external@company.outthere
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Stevan

  3. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    stevan.popovic@orange.net wrote:

    > I am having trouble with sending an email attachment from the command
    > line to an external email address(one which is not work related). When
    > the email is sent the external recipient gets it but the attachment is
    > in the main body of the email. Yet when the email is sent to an
    > internal company address the attachment is in the correct place.

    So is your border mail gateway doing something funny to the mail then?
    A virus scanner that disassembles the message, scans the attachments and
    then tries to reassemble it, maybe?

    Besides ... are you using similar client applications for reading the
    mail? They'll often behave very differently ...

    > This is what I have used
    > ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv | mailx -m -s "report info"
    > external@company.outthere
    > Any ideas?

    Some, although that command line does look just fine and it _should_
    work.

    One, I would say that such an uuencoded attachment _is_ in the main body
    of the message, if things are working corretly, but the mail client may
    be found to display it otherwise anyway. What are you using there?

    Two, I have seen uuencoded attachments treated _really_ oddly in
    scanners that expect MIME format. All too many tools only know how to
    handle one of the formats. Too bad that there's no MIME-aware
    equivalent to mailx in HP-UX by default ...

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include

  4. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an externaladdress

    Mikko Nahkola schrieb:
    > stevan.popovic@orange.net wrote:
    >

    >> This is what I have used
    >> ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv | mailx -m -s "report info"
    >> external@company.outthere
    >> Any ideas?

    > Some, although that command line does look just fine and it _should_
    > work.

    Maybe it will work if it doesn't just look fine, but has a second
    parameter for uuencode (uuencode xx xx) as in Pavels example ?

    Paul

  5. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    Paul Seyfried wrote:
    > Mikko Nahkola schrieb:
    >> stevan.popovic@orange.net wrote:
    >>

    >>> This is what I have used
    >>> ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv | mailx -m -s "report info"
    >>> external@company.outthere
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Some, although that command line does look just fine and it _should_
    >> work.
    >>

    > Maybe it will work if it doesn't just look fine, but has a second
    > parameter for uuencode (uuencode xx xx) as in Pavels example ?

    He also had the uuencode read it from a temporary file, not STDIN,
    didn't he? If there's only one argument, it reads from STDIN, if two, it
    reads from a file specified in the first argument:

    SYNOPSIS
    uuencode [source] remotedest

    uudecode [file]

    DESCRIPTION
    uuencode and uudecode can be used to send a binary file to another
    machine by means of such services as elm(1), mailx(1), or uucp(1) (see
    elm(1), mailx(1), and uucp(1)).

    uuencode takes the named source file (default standard input) and
    produces an encoded version on the standard output. The encoding uses
    only printing ASCII characters, includes the original mode of the
    input file, and preserves the value of the remotedest argument which
    is the intended name for the file when it is restored later on the
    remote system.

    Heh, the BSD-descended uuencode man page (on some Linuxes and such) has
    one example and it reads from STDIN (pipe); the one on HP-UX has one
    example and it reads from a file.

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include
    #Not speaking for my employer. No warranty. YMMV.

  6. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    Hello

    I tried Pavels method of sending the attachment to an external address.
    But the same thing happens attachment is in body of the message. When
    it is sent to an internal address then the attachment displays
    perfectly fine.

  7. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an externaladdress

    Hi Crveni

    > I tried Pavels method of sending the attachment to an external address.
    > But the same thing happens attachment is in body of the message. When
    > it is sent to an internal address then the attachment displays
    > perfectly fine.

    Perhaps the mailreader of the external adress does not understand
    uuencoding.
    You may try mimencode (its not HPUX, but was available in the
    portingcenter). There was also mpack and mimekit.

    Florian

  8. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    try

    ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv report_a.xxx | mailx -m -s
    "report info" exter...@company.outthere
    if this resolves the problem , then delete 'csv' extention from windows
    registers or edit it.

    thanks
    Michael

  9. Re: sending email attachment via command line on HPUX11 to an external address

    "Michael" writes:

    > try
    >
    > ux2dos report.csv | uuencode report_a.csv report_a.xxx | mailx -m -s
    > "report info" exter...@company.outthere
    > if this resolves the problem , then delete 'csv' extention from windows
    > registers or edit it.

    hi!

    Actually that doesn't send an attachment, but an enclosure. While this still
    works in a UNIX environment, it's considered obsolete in the MIME world. For
    Linux there's a "uuenview" that builds proper MIME attachments. I've also
    written a primitive program that will build messages with attached files.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > thanks
    > Michael