Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20 - HP UX

This is a discussion on Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20 - HP UX ; Hi all, I need to make a change in an old Hp-Ux 10.20 system. First, seems strnage to me when I login no command prompts results. For example # cd /etc # ls # And /etc ofcourse is not empty! ...

  1. Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    Hi all,

    I need to make a change in an old Hp-Ux 10.20 system. First, seems
    strnage to me when I login no command prompts results. For example

    # cd /etc
    # ls
    #

    And /etc ofcourse is not empty! If I made find /etc I see many files.

    Primary problem is that I've got a print queue called hp4000 and is
    queue configured for JetDirect printing. Using 'sam' and accessing to
    jetdirect menu I'm not able to change IP address of printer.

    Where's the configuration file? I hope it's possible to change it by
    hand. But how?

    Thanks
    Ste

    --
    Ste
    visit my site http://www.stefanocislaghi.it/

  2. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    Ste wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need to make a change in an old Hp-Ux 10.20 system. First, seems
    > strnage to me when I login no command prompts results. For example
    >
    > # cd /etc
    > # ls
    > #
    >
    > And /etc ofcourse is not empty! If I made find /etc I see many files.
    >
    > Primary problem is that I've got a print queue called hp4000 and is
    > queue configured for JetDirect printing. Using 'sam' and accessing to
    > jetdirect menu I'm not able to change IP address of printer.
    >
    > Where's the configuration file? I hope it's possible to change it by
    > hand. But how?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Ste
    >
    > --
    > Ste
    > visit my site http://www.stefanocislaghi.it/

    Look in /etc/lp/interface, grep for PERIPH= in the queue file, it will
    show the hostname or address.

  3. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    "MaxAdamo" wrote in message
    news:1134453988.226308.252960@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > ... or run /opt/hpnp/bin/jetadmin

    Yes, but does this allow you to *change* the ip address of an existing
    printer? Or only allow you to delete and then recreate the printer (with the
    new ip address)?

  4. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    .... or run /opt/hpnp/bin/jetadmin

    --
    Massimiliano

  5. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    You can telnet the machine
    and therefore change the ip
    "Ste" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1133450717.837582.7080@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need to make a change in an old Hp-Ux 10.20 system. First, seems
    > strnage to me when I login no command prompts results. For example
    >
    > # cd /etc
    > # ls
    > #
    >
    > And /etc ofcourse is not empty! If I made find /etc I see many files.
    >
    > Primary problem is that I've got a print queue called hp4000 and is
    > queue configured for JetDirect printing. Using 'sam' and accessing to
    > jetdirect menu I'm not able to change IP address of printer.
    >
    > Where's the configuration file? I hope it's possible to change it by
    > hand. But how?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Ste
    >
    > --
    > Ste
    > visit my site http://www.stefanocislaghi.it/

  6. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    Kilgaard wrote:
    > "MaxAdamo" wrote in message
    > news:1134453988.226308.252960@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>... or run /opt/hpnp/bin/jetadmin
    >>

    > Yes, but does this allow you to *change* the ip address of an existing
    > printer? Or only allow you to delete and then recreate the printer (with the
    > new ip address)?

    you are right
    it doesn't work like 'jppi'. It only allows other changes.

    --
    Massimiliano

  7. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    linux wrote:
    > You can telnet the machine
    > and therefore change the ip

    great suggestion :P

    - why you are top-posting?

    there are several reason why you can't change the printer ip.
    ip can be in use on other peripherals, you changed the ip in the printer
    because you changed subnet for the printer, you can have other stuff
    pointing to that ip.

    in other word if you need yo change the ip in jetadmin config file you
    ask for this, if you want to change ip to the printer you ask for this.

    --
    Massimiliano

  8. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    Edit the PERIPH= entry for the printer in /etc/lp/interface, then stop and
    restart the LP spooler (/sbin/init.d/lp stop & /sbin/init.d/lp start).

    BJ

    "Max_Adamo" wrote in message
    > Kilgaard wrote:
    >> "MaxAdamo" wrote in message
    >> news:1134453988.226308.252960@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >>>... or run /opt/hpnp/bin/jetadmin
    >>>

    >> Yes, but does this allow you to *change* the ip address of an existing
    >> printer? Or only allow you to delete and then recreate the printer (with
    >> the
    >> new ip address)?
    >>

    > you are right
    > it doesn't work like 'jppi'. It only allows other changes.
    >
    > --
    > Massimiliano

  9. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    x wrote:
    > Edit the PERIPH= entry for the printer in /etc/lp/interface, then stop and
    > restart the LP spooler (/sbin/init.d/lp stop & /sbin/init.d/lp start).
    >
    > BJ

    of course I already knew this.
    do not top-post .. write on bottom of the message.

    --
    Massimiliano

  10. Re: Change IP Address in a jetdirect spool queue on Hp-Ux 10.20

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:25:17 -0800, Ste wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Primary problem is that I've got a print queue called hp4000 and is
    > queue configured for JetDirect printing. Using 'sam' and accessing to
    > jetdirect menu I'm not able to change IP address of printer.

    > Where's the configuration file? I hope it's possible to change it by
    > hand. But how?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Ste

    Ste,

    I suspect the ip is defined in your /etc/hosts file. At least, it should
    be there.

    As Alan recommended, check the "hp4000" file in /etc/lp/interface by
    grepping for "PERIPH=". If it returns "hp4000", you are using the hosts
    file. So, if the ip of the printer (jetdirect) has changed, simply vi
    the /etc/hosts file and update the ip of the "hp4000" entry.

    Ping the printer by name. It should resolve the new ip and be successful.

    If you see the old ip address of "hp4000", then vi the
    /etc/lp/interface/hp4000 file. Update the ip address.

    Ping the printer by ip. It should be successful.

    Send a test print.

    Or, delete the print queue and add a new queue using hppi or jetadmin.
    SAM actually calls one of these network printer interfaces.

    Hope this helps...

    --majickmann