Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster? - HP UX ; Dear HP-Guru's, Does any use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC running Oracle RDMS and Oracle iAS? We cannot find any documentation on how to configure the TSM Client on the Cluster. ...

  1. Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster?

    Dear HP-Guru's,

    Does any use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/Serviceguard
    Cluster on HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC running Oracle RDMS and Oracle iAS?

    We cannot find any documentation on how to configure the TSM Client on
    the Cluster.

    Hewlett Packard support in the Netherlands could not help me. I hope
    someone on this group could point us in the right direction.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  2. Re: Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster

    Hello !

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > Does any use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/Serviceguard
    > Cluster on HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC running Oracle RDMS and Oracle iAS?
    >
    > We cannot find any documentation on how to configure the TSM Client on
    > the Cluster.
    >
    > Hewlett Packard support in the Netherlands could not help me. I hope
    > someone on this group could point us in the right direction.

    On the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager websites are a lot of doucmentations
    available.
    What is your problem with install it on your clusters ?

    Regards

    Lars

  3. Re: Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster

    Lars Bausch wrote:
    > Hello !
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >> Does any use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/Serviceguard
    >> Cluster on HP-UX 11i for PA-RISC running Oracle RDMS and Oracle iAS?
    >>
    >> We cannot find any documentation on how to configure the TSM Client on
    >> the Cluster.
    >>
    >> Hewlett Packard support in the Netherlands could not help me. I hope
    >> someone on this group could point us in the right direction.

    > On the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager websites are a lot of doucmentations
    > available.
    > What is your problem with install it on your clusters ?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Lars

    Lars,

    We are using HP MC/Serviceguard, not IBM HACMP. We need to know whether
    or not the HP-UX client of TSM is failover aware.

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  4. Re: Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster

    Hello !

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > We are using HP MC/Serviceguard, not IBM HACMP. We need to know whether
    > or not the HP-UX client of TSM is failover aware.

    It will be runing successfull.
    Do you mean with failover the problems, to backup your shared filesystems ?

    The problem is, that you have shared and non shared filesystems on your
    clusternodes. So you must let the TSM client run on both nodes.
    The TSM client backups your not shared filesystems, and if you have
    mounted a shared filesystem, it will backup it too.
    It you switch this package on a other node, your shared filesystems on
    the former node will expire after your configured expired limits of the
    TSM server.
    But on the node you switched the package to, will now see the "new"
    shared filesystems, will now backup these.

    With this setup, you have in the sight of the TSM server two different
    nodes. Your shared filesystems will be backuped twice.
    But this setup could also be complicated, if you have got to make a
    restore, after a switch of the package. Because the "older" backups
    available only available on the other node.

    I will look into the manuals, if there is a adequate solution for this
    problem...

    Regards

    Lars

  5. Re: Does anyone use IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a MC/ServiceguardCluster

    Lars Bausch wrote:
    > Hello !
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >> We are using HP MC/Serviceguard, not IBM HACMP. We need to know
    >> whether or not the HP-UX client of TSM is failover aware.

    > It will be runing successfull.
    > Do you mean with failover the problems, to backup your shared filesystems ?
    >
    > The problem is, that you have shared and non shared filesystems on your
    > clusternodes. So you must let the TSM client run on both nodes.
    > The TSM client backups your not shared filesystems, and if you have
    > mounted a shared filesystem, it will backup it too.
    > It you switch this package on a other node, your shared filesystems on
    > the former node will expire after your configured expired limits of the
    > TSM server.
    > But on the node you switched the package to, will now see the "new"
    > shared filesystems, will now backup these.
    >
    > With this setup, you have in the sight of the TSM server two different
    > nodes. Your shared filesystems will be backuped twice.
    > But this setup could also be complicated, if you have got to make a
    > restore, after a switch of the package. Because the "older" backups
    > available only available on the other node.
    >
    > I will look into the manuals, if there is a adequate solution for this
    > problem...
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Lars

    Lars,