I am trying to mount an NFS share exported from a Linux system. I am not
necessarily asking for help with this Linux/HPUX issue on this list, though it
would be very welcome. The problem is that the patch broke my ability to
umount all working NFS mounts on the system. Now whenever I try to umount an
nfs file system I get:

umount: cannot access nfs3-specific umount command

So now I wonder if PHNE_28886 has other dependencies that are not listed in the
patch database.

I have searched the entire depot containing the general release patches from
support plus, but to my unpracticed eye, none of the patches appear to
obviously supply a umount command that is nfs3-specific.

With the system in the pre-patched state, the system was able to mount and use
an NFS share exported from:

$ uname -a
SunOS dogbert 5.5.1 Generic_103640-42 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20.

It could not adequately mount an NFS export from a fairly recent Linux system
though I tried my best to follow all relevant tips in the Linux NFS FAQ.

$ uname -a
Linux arendi 2.6.8.1-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 1 11:24:45 CEST 2004 i686 Pentium Pro unknown GNU/Linux
$ rpm -q nfs-utils
nfs-utils-1.0.6-2.2.101mdk

The share would mount with no apparent errors, but there would be no files
at all (not even . and ..).

After a lot of research, I found indication that I probably needed to patch
up NFS on the HPUX side, so I did. I ended up with PHNE_28886. I installed
all dependencies listed in the patch database.

The situation is now not only unimproved, but is actually worse. Now, the
mount acts the same (SUN mount useable, Linux mount empty)except that it is
now listed in /etc/mnttab as an nfs3 mount, and I cannot umount any of the
NFS mounts on the system.

I will have to back off the patches I added to get the system back to being
able to umount the SUN nfs file system, but it would be nice to have the
missing link that would let the system remain in the "patched up" state even
if the Linux nfs export will be unusable.

From /etc/fstab:

dogbert.vertexrsi.net:/export3 /usr/local/ nfs rw,suid 0 0

From /etc/mnttab:

dogbert.vertexrsi.net:/export3 /usr/local nfs3 defaults 0 0 1131124630
arendi.vertexrsi.net:/home/troodon /home/test nfs3 nosuid 0 0 1131125914

In neither case did I explicitly ask for an NFS v3 mount.

The hardware platform is an HP Visualize C100 / 9000:

$ model
9000/777/C110

The operating system is:

$ uname -a
HP-UX troodon B.10.20 A 9000/777 2010505180 two-user license

---
Kevin R. Bulgrien
Design & Development Engineer
Mailto:kevin.bulgrien@gdsatcom.com

VertexRSI, A General Dynamics C4 Systems Company http://www.gdsatcom.com
SATCOM Technologies
1915 E. Harrison Road Tel: 903-295-1480 x288
Longview, TX 75604-5438 Fax: 903-295-1479