If you are a real newbie on HP-UX (like me) and you get the error "gcc:
SB error: cannot find exe /usr/local/bin/gcc" when trying to run a
configure script or a compile it is because your machine has the HP
SoftBench software installed which creates a wrapper program named
"gcc" in /opt/softbench/bin, but you do NOT have the real gcc compiler.
(I finally got this from an old post by Horst M. Meissner Dec 4 1997).

To get around it you can use "CC=cc ./configure", or (like when I tried
to build cooledit from an HP-UX specific source) you may have to edit
the configure script and change any "CC=gcc" lines.

- Alan G -