HP is such a PITA with their software... - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP is such a PITA with their software... - HP UX ; I just got a PA-RISC based HP "Visualize" B180L w/o an OS (antique boat anchor). i was hoping to find a copy of HP-UX 10.x to put on it. After spending 4 hours on the phone with them bouncing all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. HP is such a PITA with their software...

    I just got a PA-RISC based HP "Visualize" B180L w/o an OS (antique
    boat anchor). i was hoping to find a copy of HP-UX 10.x to put on it.
    After spending 4 hours on the phone with them bouncing all over the
    world i'm told that "yes is /did/ have HP-UX on it, but we can't give
    you a copy unless you provide the original license or buy another one".
    Give me a break!
    I like toys and collect odd hardware and OSs, but never have i had
    such a hard time than I've had with HP.
    All I've found so far is iso images of 11, which would probably be
    way too heavy for this box, and w/o a license i doubt i'll be able to do
    much with it (assuming the OS is as broken as Tru64 is w/o a license).
    Does anyone have an old copy w/ license laying around collecting dust
    or do you think 11 will work on this old beast even w/o a licenese (ie.
    multiuser)?
    BTW, speaking of Tru64... $99 for a home user to tinker w/ antique
    hardware is just crazy when Solaris gives theirs away for people to
    learn and develop on. just my $0.02
    Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me out here.

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    "Common sense" is a relative term...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  2. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    In article <4369155e$0$10626$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>,
    "james hal-pc.org" wrote:

    > I just got a PA-RISC based HP "Visualize" B180L w/o an OS (antique
    > boat anchor). i was hoping to find a copy of HP-UX 10.x to put on it.

    ..
    ..
    ..
    > All I've found so far is iso images of 11, which would probably be
    > way too heavy for this box, and w/o a license i doubt i'll be able to do
    > much with it (assuming the OS is as broken as Tru64 is w/o a license).

    HP-UX 11.0 or 11.11 will run OK on a B180 - certainly not much worse
    than 10.x. The base OS doesn't have any license-related limitations. You
    won't have the extras that require CD keys (like MirrorDisk/UX or
    Veritas volume manager), but the base LVM and JFS functionality will be
    there.

  3. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    B180L is chugging along happily on my desktop with 11.0 and it only had
    64M physical memory when I installed it. 11.i (aka 11.11) could not
    install due to lack of memory but 11.0 had no problem.

    FYI.

    Mel
    ---------------------
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are...

  4. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    melburslan@gmail.com wrote:
    > B180L is chugging along happily on my desktop with 11.0 and it only had
    > 64M physical memory when I installed it. 11.i (aka 11.11) could not
    > install due to lack of memory but 11.0 had no problem.

    thanks! that's the info i was looking for. i found 11i, but was
    affraid it wouldn't work on this old of a machine. this one has 256M so
    it /should/ work.
    thanks! i'll try it tonight.

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    A liberal is someone too poor to be a capitalist
    and too rich to be a communist.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  5. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Anon wrote:
    > HP-UX 11.0 or 11.11 will run OK on a B180 - certainly not much worse
    > than 10.x. The base OS doesn't have any license-related limitations. You
    > won't have the extras that require CD keys (like MirrorDisk/UX or
    > Veritas volume manager), but the base LVM and JFS functionality will be
    > there.

    thanks.
    i was just worried about the way HP treats Tru64 by requiring a dang
    license to look at it, one to touch it, and another one to use it

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    English was chosen over German by 1 vote as the national language.
    Think about it...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  6. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    writes:
    > I just got a PA-RISC based HP "Visualize" B180L w/o an OS (antique
    > boat anchor). i was hoping to find a copy of HP-UX 10.x to put on it.
    > After spending 4 hours on the phone with them bouncing all over the
    > world i'm told that "yes is /did/ have HP-UX on it, but we can't give
    > you a copy unless you provide the original license or buy another one".
    > Give me a break!

    Well, that's the answer one would expect.
    They don't give you CDs without a license.

    > I like toys and collect odd hardware and OSs, but never have i had
    > such a hard time than I've had with HP.

    Well, speaking of PITA, you certainly haven't dealt with DEC stuff yet,
    specifically Tru64 and VMS.

    > All I've found so far is iso images of 11, which would probably be
    > way too heavy for this box, and w/o a license i doubt i'll be able to do
    > much with it (assuming the OS is as broken as Tru64 is w/o a license).

    Once you get hold of the media you can install and run a usable system.
    I run 11 on a 712/100 with 192MB, it took ages to install,
    but finally it runs.

    > Does anyone have an old copy w/ license laying around collecting dust
    > or do you think 11 will work on this old beast even w/o a licenese (ie.
    > multiuser)?

    you can find media on eBay every now and then.

    > BTW, speaking of Tru64... $99 for a home user to tinker w/ antique
    > hardware is just crazy when Solaris gives theirs away for people to
    > learn and develop on. just my $0.02

    This is typical DEC attitude. They don't give a damn on new or hobbyist
    users. No wonder they went belly up. Neither Compaq nor HP have changed that.
    And if you think installing Tru64 is a PITA, try the same with VMS,
    it's just ridiculous.

  7. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >> I like toys and collect odd hardware and OSs, but never have i had
    >>such a hard time than I've had with HP.

    > Well, speaking of PITA, you certainly haven't dealt with DEC stuff yet,
    > specifically Tru64 and VMS.

    i actually have 3 AlphaServer 1200's, i just don't feel like paying
    $99 for an obsolite OS like Tru64. i'm using FreeBSD on one and CentOS
    on another (that will probably be changed soon though.) w/ one for parts
    (robbed the CPU for one of the machines).

    >> All I've found so far is iso images of 11, which would probably be
    >>way too heavy for this box, and w/o a license i doubt i'll be able to do
    >>much with it (assuming the OS is as broken as Tru64 is w/o a license).

    > Once you get hold of the media you can install and run a usable system.
    > I run 11 on a 712/100 with 192MB, it took ages to install,
    > but finally it runs.

    thanks for the bit of reassurance. i burned the CDs last night but got
    tied up hacking Freevo... got my FM tuner to work though

    >> BTW, speaking of Tru64... $99 for a home user to tinker w/ antique
    >>hardware is just crazy when Solaris gives theirs away for people to
    >>learn and develop on. just my $0.02

    > This is typical DEC attitude. They don't give a damn on new or hobbyist
    > users. No wonder they went belly up. Neither Compaq nor HP have changed that.
    > And if you think installing Tru64 is a PITA, try the same with VMS,
    > it's just ridiculous.

    that's what doesn't make any sense.. now that it's owned by HP you'd
    figure they'd change that. it's not like they are making much off
    charging people for an obsolite OS. as you said, it's hurting them
    more.. Sun is doing the right thing by getting their OS out to the
    developers and people that are going to end up supporting it.
    since you can't get a *real* job now unless you have experience, then
    how else is one to get experience other than at home or freelance? I
    have ~6 years experience using FreeBSD, ~10 with Linux (Slackware), and
    ~3 with Solaris 7 (on a SS2) and just installed Solaris 10 on an
    Ultra10, but apparently that doesn't carry any weight with employers
    Maybe HP-UX (on the B180L) will be a nice resume addition.

    thanks again to all.

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    Polish-Dutch-Scottish-Irish-Cherokee-German-Coonass-American and proud
    of it!
    When will it end?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  8. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    In article <436a38f8$0$10624$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>, "james hal-pc.org"
    writes:
    > > And if you think installing Tru64 is a PITA, try the same with VMS,
    > > it's just ridiculous.

    > that's what doesn't make any sense.. now that it's owned by HP you'd
    > figure they'd change that. it's not like they are making much off
    > charging people for an obsolite OS. as you said, it's hurting them
    > more..

    well, HP couldn't care less about those DEC legacies,
    they'd rather sell you HP-UX.
    But also Compaq and before them DEC themselves didn't care much.
    This IMHO speaks volumes about their commitment to those platforms,
    it seems they just don't expect new customers anymore,
    whereas the old ones are accustomed to hodge podge
    installation procedures and all that PAK crap.
    Even an oldish Ultrix is easier to install.

  9. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    "james hal-pc.org" wrote:
    > I just got a PA-RISC based HP "Visualize" B180L w/o an OS (antique
    > boat anchor). i was hoping to find a copy of HP-UX 10.x to put on it.

    > All I've found so far is iso images of 11, which would probably be way

    well.. i set "ALT" to the correct device (sea showed SESCSI.2.0, but
    ALT was set to SESCSI.6.0) and just tried to boot the system (bo alt),
    however all i get is:
    ------------------
    Booting...
    Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 153

    HARD Booted.

    ISL Revision A.00.44 Mar 12, 2003 (whasn't this machine from '96?)

    Cannot find an auto-execute file. AUTOBOOT ABORTED.

    -------------------

    i don't /think/ it's the machine because Gentoo and Debian CDs
    booted. well.. kinda.. Gentoo couldn't find it's simple DEC NIC and
    Debian freaked about missing files on the install CD, but they didn't
    halt at least. I downloaded the gziped images of 11i from HP and
    ungziped and burned them from one of my FreeBSD boxes. i didn't have
    any trouble downloading them at all and being gz i'm sure that if there
    was any data corruption then it would have complained. any ideas?

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    SCO believes they own Journaling File System technology.
    That's as rediculous as Al Gore thinking he created the internet!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  10. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    "james hal-pc.org" writes:

    > well.. i set "ALT" to the correct device (sea showed SESCSI.2.0, but
    > ALT was set to SESCSI.6.0) and just tried to boot the system (bo alt),
    > however all i get is:
    > ------------------
    > Booting...
    > Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 153
    >
    > HARD Booted.
    >
    > ISL Revision A.00.44 Mar 12, 2003 (whasn't this machine from '96?)
    >
    > Cannot find an auto-execute file. AUTOBOOT ABORTED.
    >

    > -------------------

    Good news: you are probably executing code from the CD.

    Bad news: you are in ISL (Initial System Loader, kind of equivalent to
    Linux LILO) prompt, and ISL just told you this disk might not contain
    anything that would help you go further. It certainly is not behaving
    as it would on a normal HP-UX install CD.

    See:
    http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60127/isl.1M.html

    Type "ls" to see what is available.

    If there is a file named "WINSTALL", you might be in luck after
    all: that is the name of the HP-UX installation program, and it usually
    gets executed automatically.

    If there are things like "ODE", "MAPPER", "IOTEST" and "PERFVER", your
    disk contains off-line diagnostic tools: a nice thing to have if
    your HP 9000 machine is having hardware problems, but not exactly what
    you're after.

    http://docs.hp.com/en/diag/ode/ode_over.htm

    If there is a file named "HPUX", that would be the second part of the
    bootloader.

    At the ISL prompt, you can start anything that is available by just
    typing its name.

    > I downloaded the gziped images of 11i from HP and
    > ungziped and burned them from one of my FreeBSD boxes. i didn't have
    > any trouble downloading them at all and being gz i'm sure that if
    > there was any data corruption then it would have complained. any
    > ideas?

    We'd like to know the exact name of the thing(s) you downloaded.

    Were they perhaps named somewhat like this?

    HPUX11IV1APPDVDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Application Release
    HPUX11IV1IEXPDVDmmyy - HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v1
    HPUX11IV1SPKCDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Software Pack
    HPUX11IV1SPCDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Support Plus

    If so, I'm sorry. _None_ of these can be used in installing HP-UX 11i.
    They certainly become useful after the base OS is installed, but they
    are not OS installation discs.

    I have not yet seen the core OS install CD images for PA-RISC
    architecture available for download on hp.com. It would be nice if HP
    did that.

    --
    Matti.Kurkela@welho.com

  11. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Matti Juhani Kurkela wrote:
    > Type "ls" to see what is available.
    >
    > If there is a file named "WINSTALL", you might be in luck after
    > all: that is the name of the HP-UX installation program, and it usually
    > gets executed automatically.

    i'm not in front of it now, but i do not recall seeing anything that
    contained "INSTALL" in any manner. i'll provide more info this evening.

    > If there are things like "ODE", "MAPPER", "IOTEST" and "PERFVER", your
    > disk contains off-line diagnostic tools: a nice thing to have if
    > your HP 9000 machine is having hardware problems, but not exactly what
    > you're after.
    >
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/diag/ode/ode_over.htm

    there were a couple of diagnostics utils for sure.

    >>I downloaded the gziped images of 11i from HP and
    >>ungziped and burned them from one of my FreeBSD boxes. i didn't have
    >>any trouble downloading them at all and being gz i'm sure that if
    >>there was any data corruption then it would have complained. any
    >>ideas?

    > We'd like to know the exact name of the thing(s) you downloaded.
    >
    > Were they perhaps named somewhat like this?
    >
    > HPUX11IV1APPDVDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Application Release
    > HPUX11IV1IEXPDVDmmyy - HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v1
    > HPUX11IV1SPKCDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Software Pack
    > HPUX11IV1SPCDmmyy - HP-UX 11i v1 Support Plus
    >
    > If so, I'm sorry. _None_ of these can be used in installing HP-UX 11i.
    > They certainly become useful after the base OS is installed, but they
    > are not OS installation discs.

    that wasn't it and i can't find the site now. it was a list simular to
    the layout of:
    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...do?category=OE
    however there was an "Unlimited user license" (.depot file) and 2 cd
    images named 5xxx32xx.cdimage.gz and 5xxx34xx.cdimage.gz (don't remember
    off hand about the x's. # of or content. will post again tonight).
    got the link from someone during my 4 hour phone call to HP.

    > I have not yet seen the core OS install CD images for PA-RISC
    > architecture available for download on hp.com. It would be nice if HP
    > did that.

    it would be nice if i could find it again... i'll keep looking.

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    "Try not to let your mind wander. It is much to small to be ouside by
    itself."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  12. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    "james hal-pc.org" wrote:
    > it would be nice if i could find it again... i'll keep looking.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...ic_11.00.depot

    found the license.. can't find the images again.
    supposing they are the wrong ones, does anyone know where to get them?

    --
    - - james hal-pc.org - -

    Kids in the back seat cause accidents.
    Accidents in the back seat cause kids.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  13. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    "james hal-pc.org" schrieb:

    > ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...ic_11.00.depot
    >

    > found the license.. can't find the images again.

    This is just a license update for HP-UX 11. Traditionally, HP-UX (like
    most other commercial UNIXes) was sold with different user licenses.
    Several years ago HP decided to allow everyone that has a 10.20 and 11.0
    with limited user license to upgrade to unlimited user for free. This is
    done with this update...

    Benjamin

  14. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Matti Juhani Kurkela wrote:
    > If there is a file named "WINSTALL", you might be in luck after
    > all: that is the name of the HP-UX installation program, and it usually
    > gets executed automatically.

    IIRC, the "W" in WINSTALL is the "wide" or 64-bit install kernel. A
    B180 is a 32-bit only machine. It was the last of the 32-bit-only
    PA-RISC workstations. In the pantheon of PA-RISC workstations, I'd
    put it up there with the J6000, the 735/99 and the 720.

    rick jones

  15. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Rick Jones wrote:

    > IIRC, the "W" in WINSTALL is the "wide" or 64-bit install kernel. A
    > B180 is a 32-bit only machine. It was the last of the 32-bit-only
    > PA-RISC workstations. In the pantheon of PA-RISC workstations, I'd
    > put it up there with the J6000, the 735/99 and the 720.

    The J6000 is PA2.0 (64bit), and btw also a newer generation than the B180...

    Benjamin

  16. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Rick Jones wrote:

    >> IIRC, the "W" in WINSTALL is the "wide" or 64-bit install kernel. A
    >> B180 is a 32-bit only machine. It was the last of the 32-bit-only
    >> PA-RISC workstations. In the pantheon of PA-RISC workstations, I'd
    >> put it up there with the J6000, the 735/99 and the 720.

    > The J6000 is PA2.0 (64bit), and btw also a newer generation than the B180...

    Indeed. I was just positing what I thought were some of the best
    PA-RISC workstations made by HP.

    rick jones

  17. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Rick Jones wrote:

    >>The J6000 is PA2.0 (64bit), and btw also a newer generation than the B180...

    > Indeed. I was just positing what I thought were some of the best
    > PA-RISC workstations made by HP.

    Ok, then I vote for the J2240, the B180L+ (the "+" is important!), the
    712/100, the B2000, the c3xx0, and the c8000 ;-)

    Benjamin

  18. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    "Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
    > Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ok, then I vote for the J2240, the B180L+ (the "+" is important!), the
    > 712/100, the B2000, the c3xx0, and the c8000 ;-)

    pray tell, how does the 712/100 make it on here?

    curious,
    -r
    (has a 712/100 @ home)
    (and, curiously enough, a c3000

  19. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Rick Jones wrote:
    >> Indeed. I was just positing what I thought were some of the best
    >> PA-RISC workstations made by HP.

    > Ok, then I vote for the J2240, the B180L+ (the "+" is important!), the
    > 712/100, the B2000, the c3xx0, and the c8000 ;-)

    Ah, the extra cache yes? The J2240 was indeed nice. I was never
    overly fond of the 712's. I have a J5600 under my desk at the moment.
    As for the c8000,indeed I'd love to see more people buying them

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  20. Re: HP is such a PITA with their software...

    In article <2MRbf.15983$IH6.10067@news.cpqcorp.net>, Rick Jones
    writes:

    > Ah, the extra cache yes? The J2240 was indeed nice. I was never
    > overly fond of the 712's.

    well, the 712 has the advantage that it fits wherever only limited space
    is available. It's one if the smallest UNIX boxes I've ever seen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast