tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux - HP UX

This is a discussion on tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux - HP UX ; Hi, I'm running an app which is doing a lot of forced context switches. I want to tie the process to one processor as I think it will improve the performance. I'd also like a way of preventing other processes ...

  1. tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux

    Hi,
    I'm running an app which is doing a lot of forced context switches. I
    want to tie the process to one processor as I think it will improve the
    performance. I'd also like a way of preventing other processes on the
    box from using that processor. I'm not sure if this is possible or what
    the correct terminology is here. I'm happy to provide further
    information if anyone can assist. The app runs on hp-ux 11iv2.
    cheers,

  2. Re: tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux

    On 30 Oct 2005 06:52:12 -0800, "sleepyg" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm running an app which is doing a lot of forced context switches. I
    >want to tie the process to one processor as I think it will improve the
    >performance. I'd also like a way of preventing other processes on the
    >box from using that processor. I'm not sure if this is possible or what
    >the correct terminology is here. I'm happy to provide further
    >information if anyone can assist. The app runs on hp-ux 11iv2.
    >cheers,

    You want to use Processor Sets. On 11iv2 it is included in the OS.

    The command is psrset (1M). You will also find infomation by searching
    on psets.

    See:

    http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-0701/ch03s01.html

    For those still on 11iv1, it can be downloaded, for free, from
    software.hp.com:

    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...ctNumber=PSETS

  3. Re: tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On 30 Oct 2005 06:52:12 -0800, "sleepyg" wrote:
    >>I want to tie the process to one processor

    > You want to use Processor Sets. On 11iv2 it is included in the OS.

    Processor Sets are very useful - you can use them to tie (groups of)
    processes to groups of processors. If you simply want to bind a
    single process to a single processor, you can also look into the
    mpsched command.

    rick jones

  4. Re: tieing a process to a processor on hp-ux

    thanks all for the assistance. very much appreciated both!

+ Reply to Thread