What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ? - HP UX

This is a discussion on What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ? - HP UX ; Any one experienced with both Solaris and HP-UX please let me know the similarities and differences between these 2 OS ? Is it difficult for me to learn HP-UX if i am familiar with Sun Solaris ? BR//Tuan...

  1. What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ?

    Any one experienced with both Solaris and HP-UX please let me know the
    similarities and differences between these 2 OS ? Is it difficult for
    me to learn HP-UX if i am familiar with Sun Solaris ?

    BR//Tuan

  2. Re: What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ?

    NewtoHP-UX wrote:
    > Any one experienced with both Solaris and HP-UX please let me know
    > the similarities and differences between these 2 OS ? Is it
    > difficult for me to learn HP-UX if i am familiar with Sun Solaris ?

    From the perspective of administration, or development? Anyway, I
    suspect that a search on www.hp.com for "Solaris migration" would find
    lots of useful hits. Some, esp for application development, may be in
    the DSPP (devresource.hp.com should get you there) site.

    FWIW, the networking stacks of Solaris and HP-UX can be described as
    "cousins" as they have a common grandparent. Having said that, don't
    ass-u-me you can simply take your ndd settings from Solaris and plop
    them on to an HP-UX system.

    rick jones

  3. Re: What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ?

    NewtoHP-UX wrote:
    > Any one experienced with both Solaris and HP-UX please let me know the
    > similarities and differences between these 2 OS ? Is it difficult for
    > me to learn HP-UX if i am familiar with Sun Solaris ?
    >
    > BR//Tuan

    You should take a look at the following Links:

    http://devresource.hp.com/drc/topics/solaris_hpux.jsp

    http://devresource.hp.com/drc/STK/archivedocs.jsp

    http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/...1,8081,00.html

    http://devrsrc1.external.hp.com/STKS...tion_list.html

    Here are a couple of good books on HP-UX system administration

    The HP-UX 11.x System Administration Handbook and Toolkit (2nd Edition)
    HP-UX 11.x System Administration "How To" Book (2nd Edition)
    HP-UX 11i Systems Administration Handbook and Toolkit, Second Edition
    HP-UX 11i Tuning and Performance (2nd Edition)

    This link to amazon lists all of the books
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...30529?v=glance

    If you have a O'Reilly Safari Bookself account
    http://safari.oreilly.com/ these are available:

    HP-UX 11i System Administration Handbook and Toolkit
    HP-UX 11i Tuning and Performance
    HP-UX 11i System Administration Handbook and Toolkit, Second Edition
    HP-UX 11i Internals

    Eric Bruno

  4. Re: What is the difference between Sun Solaris and HP-UX ?

    "Eric Bruno" wrote in message
    | NewtoHP-UX wrote:
    | > Any one experienced with both Solaris and HP-UX please let me know the
    | > similarities and differences between these 2 OS ? Is it difficult for
    | > me to learn HP-UX if i am familiar with Sun Solaris ?
    | >
    | > BR//Tuan
    | >
    | You should take a look at the following Links:
    |
    | http://devresource.hp.com/drc/topics/solaris_hpux.jsp
    |
    | http://devresource.hp.com/drc/STK/archivedocs.jsp

    http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/...1,8081,00.html

    | http://devrsrc1.external.hp.com/STKS...tion_list.html
    |
    | Here are a couple of good books on HP-UX system administration
    |
    | The HP-UX 11.x System Administration Handbook and Toolkit (2nd Edition)
    | HP-UX 11.x System Administration "How To" Book (2nd Edition)
    | HP-UX 11i Systems Administration Handbook and Toolkit, Second Edition
    | HP-UX 11i Tuning and Performance (2nd Edition)
    |
    | This link to amazon lists all of the books

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...30529?v=glance

    | If you have a O'Reilly Safari Bookself account
    | http://safari.oreilly.com/ these are available:
    |
    | HP-UX 11i System Administration Handbook and Toolkit
    | HP-UX 11i Tuning and Performance
    | HP-UX 11i System Administration Handbook and Toolkit, Second Edition
    | HP-UX 11i Internals
    |
    | Eric Bruno

    Also see http://bhami.com/rosetta.html which is a big table which shows
    the equivalents of various commands and config files across different
    Unixes. In addition, this site includes links to similar resources at the
    bottom of the page.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread