Re: How to REALLY delete data - HP UX

This is a discussion on Re: How to REALLY delete data - HP UX ; Gerold Krommer wrote: > How can I delete the data so it cannot be reconstructed > in any way whatsoever? dd zeroes all over? Format? Even if you erase to the DOD 5220.22-M sanitizing standard, I suspect that still doesn't ...

  1. Re: How to REALLY delete data

    Gerold Krommer wrote:

    > How can I delete the data so it cannot be reconstructed
    > in any way whatsoever? dd zeroes all over? Format?

    Even if you erase to the DOD 5220.22-M sanitizing standard,
    I suspect that still doesn't get data in field spares, nor does
    it entirely assure that "crap in the gap" is irrecoverable.

    Degaussing, crushing under heavy equipment and
    burying in a secure landfill is the only way to go.

    But since the seller is willing to take your word for it,
    do you really need to do anything other than reformat?

  2. Re: How to REALLY delete data

    rjn wrote:

    > Degaussing, crushing under heavy equipment and burying in a secure
    > landfill is the only way to go.

    is crushing really sufficient? my vote would be to slag the platters.

    rick jones