ISL boot DVD - HP UX

This is a discussion on ISL boot DVD - HP UX ; My system kernel is corrupted. ISL> hpux Boot : disk(0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0;0)/stand/vmunix disk(0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0;0)/stand/vmunix: cannot open, or not executable Exec failed: No such file or directory so I have to re-install the OS from the dvd, but I don't know what should I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ISL boot DVD

  1. ISL boot DVD

    My system kernel is corrupted.

    ISL> hpux

    Boot
    : disk(0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0;0)/stand/vmunix
    disk(0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0;0)/stand/vmunix: cannot open, or not
    executable
    Exec failed: No such file or directory

    so I have to re-install the OS from the dvd, but I don't know what
    should I input?

    ISL> DISPLAY

    Fastsize value is 0000000F

    Autoboot is ON (enabled)

    Autosearch is ON (enabled)

    Primary boot path is 0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0
    Primary boot path is (hex) 0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0

    Alternate boot path is 0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0
    Alternate boot path is (hex) 0/0/2/0.2.0.0.0.0.0

    System console path is 0/10/0/0.0.0.0.0.0.0
    System console path is (hex) 0/A/0/0.0.0.0.0.0.0


  2. Re: ISL boot DVD

    the primary and alternate boot path is same, I want to set the
    alternate boot path to the DVD, I have put the system disk into the dvd
    driver, but I don't know the path name, I am open to any idea.


  3. Re: ISL boot DVD

    Ken wrote:
    > the primary and alternate boot path is same, I want to set the
    > alternate boot path to the DVD, I have put the system disk into the dvd
    > driver, but I don't know the path name, I am open to any idea.
    >

    Type 'sea' at BCH prompt to find out the PATH of your DVD drive
    (AFAIK it will referred to as ROM). Then boot with it using
    BCH> bo .

    HTH --vishwas

  4. Re: ISL boot DVD

    Ken wrote:
    > so I have to re-install the OS from the dvd, but I don't know what
    > should I input?


    When you issue the boot command to boot from the DVD, you should be
    asked if you want to interact with the IPL (ISL). Say that you do
    _not_ and then assuming you have a proper install disc you will be
    booted into the installer and should be able to go from there.

    More info can likely be found in the system manual for your system -
    which should be somewhere on docs.hp.com.

    rick jones
    --
    No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. - Jobert
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  5. Re: ISL boot DVD

    I can't enter the BCH prompt, when the system is warm-up it stops at a
    message like this,
    ************* SYSTEM ALERT **************
    SYSTEM NAME: gsp
    DATE: 10/27/2005 TIME: 01:13:59
    ALERT LEVEL: 6 = Boot possible, pending failure - action required

    REASON FOR ALERT
    SOURCE: 6 = platform
    SOURCE DETAIL: 3 = cabinet fan SOURCE ID: 0
    PROBLEM DETAIL: 4 = fan failure

    LEDs: RUN ATTENTION FAULT REMOTE POWER
    FLASH FLASH OFF ON ON
    LED State: Running non-OS code. Non-critical error detected.
    Check Chassis and Console Logs for error messages.

    0x002000646300405F 00000000 00000000 - type 0 = Data Field Unused
    0x582008646300405F 00006909 1B010D3B - type 11 = Timestamp 10/27/2005
    01:13:59
    A: ack read of this entry - X: Disable all future alert messages
    Anything else skip redisplay the log entry
    ->Choice:a
    *****************************************
    the system doesn't ask me if I want to interact with ISL too.
    I searched google and docs.hp.com and don't find any userful tips.


  6. Re: ISL boot DVD

    Ken wrote:
    > I can't enter the BCH prompt, when the system is warm-up it stops at a
    > message like this,


    You might be in VFP (virtual front panel) mode, try pressing Ctrl+B
    and type 'CO' to get into the console more.

    > REASON FOR ALERT
    > SOURCE: 6 = platform
    > SOURCE DETAIL: 3 = cabinet fan SOURCE ID: 0
    > PROBLEM DETAIL: 4 = fan failure
    >


    You have fix the above fan failure.

    HTH --vishwas

  7. Re: ISL boot DVD

    I can enter into console mode, but above warning is displayed again and
    again, and the system can't enter BCH menu. I can only enter GSP, ISL,
    and console.


  8. Re: ISL boot DVD

    Ken wrote:
    > I can enter into console mode, but above warning is displayed again
    > and again, and the system can't enter BCH menu. I can only enter
    > GSP, ISL, and console.


    You need to fix the broken fan implied by the message. Depending on
    the model of system you have, the manuals online at docs.hp.com should
    help you with identifying the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) and the
    procedures for replacing it.

    rick jones
    --
    portable adj, code that compiles under more than one compiler
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  9. Re: ISL boot DVD

    Rick Jones wrote:

    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >>I can enter into console mode, but above warning is displayed again
    >>and again, and the system can't enter BCH menu. I can only enter
    >>GSP, ISL, and console.

    >
    >
    > You need to fix the broken fan implied by the message. Depending on
    > the model of system you have, the manuals online at docs.hp.com should
    > help you with identifying the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) and the
    > procedures for replacing it.
    >
    > rick jones

    Ken,
    It is the GSP that you are talking to instead of the actual console, I
    have also had to relearn how to talk to the new ones instead of K and D
    and Nova boxes, always learning!

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread