largest drive size supported by lvm - HP UX

This is a discussion on largest drive size supported by lvm - HP UX ; Is it true that the max useable size for a disk in a volume group is appx 44Gig? 256 == max PE size 1730 is max number of extents...

  1. largest drive size supported by lvm

    Is it true that the max useable size for a disk in a volume group is
    appx 44Gig?

    256 == max PE size
    1730 is max number of extents

  2. Re: largest drive size supported by lvm

    Hello !

    gerard.l1.demers@verizon.com wrote:
    > Is it true that the max useable size for a disk in a volume group is
    > appx 44Gig?

    No.

    > 256 == max PE size
    > 1730 is max number of extents

    Max. PE size (256 MB) * max PEs (65535) = 16776960 MB = 16 TB.
    But don't know if it makes sense to use a max PE size of 256 MB.

    Lars

  3. Re: largest drive size supported by lvm

    "Lars Bausch" wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > gerard.l1.demers@verizon.com wrote:
    > > Is it true that the max useable size for a disk in a volume group is
    > > appx 44Gig?

    > No.
    >

    > > 256 == max PE size
    > > 1730 is max number of extents

    > Max. PE size (256 MB) * max PEs (65535) = 16776960 MB = 16 TB.
    > But don't know if it makes sense to use a max PE size of 256 MB.

    It probably does if you have managed to find a 16TB drive under your bed
    Presumably this would be a LUN on a disk array.

    It just means that all your lvol's will be in increments of 256MB, which
    might be a bit excessive for small lvols like /stand, but with 16TB to play
    with, I don't think you can really complain about a few lost MB here and
    there.

  4. Re: largest drive size supported by lvm

    "Lars Bausch" wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > gerard.l1.demers@verizon.com wrote:
    > > Is it true that the max useable size for a disk in a volume group is
    > > appx 44Gig?

    > No.
    >

    > > 256 == max PE size
    > > 1730 is max number of extents

    > Max. PE size (256 MB) * max PEs (65535) = 16776960 MB = 16 TB.
    > But don't know if it makes sense to use a max PE size of 256 MB.

    It probably does if you have managed to find a 16TB drive under your bed
    Presumably this would be a LUN on a disk array.

    It just means that all your lvol's will be in increments of 256MB, which
    might be a bit excessive for small lvols like /stand, but with 16TB to play
    with, I don't think you can really complain about a few lost MB here and
    there.

+ Reply to Thread