boot from dvd - HP UX

This is a discussion on boot from dvd - HP UX ; hi, how to boot from dvd?...

  1. boot from dvd

    hi,

    how to boot from dvd?

  2. Re: boot from dvd

    Ken wrote:
    > how to boot from dvd?

    On what sort of system? (Please be specific, down to the model name
    if you can)

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  3. Re: boot from dvd

    I don't know how to query the system model name, what's the command?

  4. Re: boot from dvd

    Ken wrote:
    > I don't know how to query the system model name, what's the command?

    "model" would be the command. Although if you are going to try to
    boot from DVD it suggests physical proximity in which case you could
    also try looking at the front-panel of the machine

    rick jones

  5. Re: boot from dvd

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know how to query the system model name, what's the command?

    > "model" would be the command. Although if you are going to try to
    > boot from DVD it suggests physical proximity in which case you could
    > also try looking at the front-panel of the machine
    >
    > rick jones

    As others have said elsewhere, it is newbie season...

  6. Re: boot from dvd

    the model is 9000/800/L3000-6x

  7. Re: boot from dvd

    Ken wrote:
    > the model is 9000/800/L3000-6x

    As the machine is booting, there should be some output telling you
    what to do to interrupt autoboot. Do that (press any key IIRC) and
    then you can issue a "SEArch" command ("sea" is sufficient). wait a
    bit and it will give you a list of the bootable devices it finds. One
    of them will be the DVD (assuming you have bootable media installed)
    and you can issue a BOot command to boot from that media.

    For example, if it found the DVD as P1 you would say:

    bo p1

    and when it asks if you want to interact with the IPL say "no."

    From there it should boot from the DVD.

    I would hope that the system manuals for the L3000 would still be
    online at docs.hp.com - that should have more of the gory details
    about booting from alternate media on the 9000's.

    rick jones

  8. Re: boot from dvd

    Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > As others have said elsewhere, it is newbie season...

    Been there once myself.

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  9. Re: boot from dvd

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Alan D Johnson wrote:
    >
    >>As others have said elsewhere, it is newbie season...

    > Been there once myself.
    >
    > rick jones

    Yeah, me too, and as I am doing different stuff now, I am again. I have
    just noticed a lot of posts lately here and in other newsgroups that are
    answered by FAQ's, a little reasearch, Google, etc...

  10. Re: boot from dvd

    thank you very much, I can boot from the DVD or enter into single user
    mode now.

    I connect to the console via LAN and know how to switch between GSP and
    CONSOLE

  11. Re: boot from dvd

    you are so nice because of your magnanimous.

  12. Re: boot from dvd

    Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > Yeah, me too, and as I am doing different stuff now, I am again. I
    > have just noticed a lot of posts lately here and in other newsgroups
    > that are answered by FAQ's, a little reasearch, Google, etc...

    When I was growing-up I would often ask my mother "How do you spell
    _blank_ ?" Invariably her answer was "Look it up in the dictionary."
    I found that very frustrating, only now have I learned to appreciate
    it

    Still, it is good to offer a bit of bootstrapping

    rick jones