Accessing HP-UX 11i file system from Windows XP - HP UX

This is a discussion on Accessing HP-UX 11i file system from Windows XP - HP UX ; Hi , I have installed Microsoft Services for unix 3.5 NFS client and setup the NFS/NIS server on the unix m/c. I am able to view the exported folders in Windows explorer , but on tring to open these folders ...

  1. Accessing HP-UX 11i file system from Windows XP

    Hi ,

    I have installed Microsoft Services for unix 3.5 NFS client and setup
    the NFS/NIS server on the unix m/c. I am able to view the exported
    folders in Windows explorer , but on tring to open these folders or on
    trying to map as network drive, I get the error -"The format of the
    specified network name is invalid." can anyone please suggest what
    could be the possible reason for this error.

    Thanks In Advance,
    Gupta

  2. Re: Accessing HP-UX 11i file system from Windows XP

    > I have installed Microsoft Services for unix 3.5 NFS client and setup
    > the NFS/NIS server on the unix m/c. I am able to view the exported
    > folders in Windows explorer , but on tring to open these folders or on
    > trying to map as network drive, I get the error -"The format of the
    > specified network name is invalid." can anyone please suggest what
    > could be the possible reason for this error.

    Forget the M$ stuff, install SAMBA (www.samba.org) on the HP instead.
    Been using for years, works like a charm.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  3. Re: Accessing HP-UX 11i file system from Windows XP

    When you install NFS services on windows, you are dependent on hpux
    machine to export them as NFS filesystems which does not happen
    automatically.

    edit /etc/exports file on the hpux host and put this into the file as a
    new line or edit if you have an entry for your mountpoint to make it
    look like this:

    /my/exported/directory/to/windows -anon=2

    save the file and exit

    run command

    exportfs -a

    at this point, with the proper access from windows side, you should be
    able to see, read and write to this directory.

    Hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread