changing contiguous strict allocation policy - HP UX

This is a discussion on changing contiguous strict allocation policy - HP UX ; Hi i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of my applications) but got the below messages lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available. Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy. Failure possibly caused ...

  1. changing contiguous strict allocation policy

    Hi

    i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
    my applications) but got the below messages

    lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
    Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
    Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy

    I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
    and a pvdisk shows enough disk space

    i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/.... before i lvextend.

    Did i do the right thing?

    Rgds

  2. Re: changing contiguous strict allocation policy

    yls177 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
    > my applications) but got the below messages
    >
    > lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
    > Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
    > Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy
    >
    > I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
    > and a pvdisk shows enough disk space
    >

    > i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/.... before i lvextend.
    >
    > Did i do the right thing?
    >
    > Rgds

    Can we have "vgdisplay -v /dev/vgxx" and "lvdisplay -v /dev/vgxx/lvxx" output ?
    You must have enough free extents in both used disks if lv is in "strict mode" and do not forget you
    need twice the space for mirroring.

  3. Re: changing contiguous strict allocation policy

    Hi !

    yls177 wrote:
    > i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
    > my applications) but got the below messages
    >
    > lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
    > Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
    > Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy
    >
    > I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
    > and a pvdisk shows enough disk space
    >

    > i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/.... before i lvextend.
    >
    > Did i do the right thing?

    You have to do a "lvchange -s n /dev/vgXX/lvolYY", too.

    Lars

  4. Re: changing contiguous strict allocation policy

    Hi,

    we already changed using the lvchange commands.

    also, i have verified that we have enough space for our lvol. This
    resides in 2 separate disks. Each of them has enough disk space too.

    Rgds

+ Reply to Thread